PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

"B" is for bandwagon

Asante4prez

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
I'm a born and raised new englander that moved down to the Tampa Bay area a few years back. I know this is a pat's board so sorry in advance (just thought I would take up a thread since football news is minimal right now to say the least). I have become a huge devil rays fan but am really disgusted with red sox fans in general. I would say about half the sox fans that are around today are bandwagoners as you can see the freshly new apparel every time they come into town here. Does anyone feel this way about sox fans? They just don't seem like people that have been to a game at fenway or endured any sort of hardship as fans at all. I hate to say it, but they seem like yankees fans these days...

Not really. I don't think sox fans are like that, at least I am not.
And there is a Red Sox forum, on this board.

B is for Bill Belichick That's all I know.

I'm a born and raised new englander that moved down to the Tampa Bay area a few years back. I know this is a pat's board so sorry in advance (just thought I would take up a thread since football news is minimal right now to say the least). I have become a huge devil rays fan but am really disgusted with red sox fans in general. I would say about half the sox fans that are around today are bandwagoners as you can see the freshly new apparel every time they come into town here. Does anyone feel this way about sox fans? They just don't seem like people that have been to a game at fenway or endured any sort of hardship as fans at all. I hate to say it, but they seem like yankees fans these days...

Cuz ya know, the Sox definately don't have the longest streak of sold out games, dating back to before 2004. And how, if I may ask, do you in God's name become a Devil Rays fan? I eman they have some ncie talent, but if you're a New Englander you deserve to be shot for such a switch.

What I've noticed at Fenway is with the additions of new seats every year since the present ownership took over, more and more frontrunners are now coming to the games. There are loads of hard core fans like myself at the games, but the front runners are there as well, it's just the way it goes.

How many hard core Patriot fans are season ticket holders; I am sure there are loads of them, but the front runners are there too, bet your ass on that.

I had season tickets from 1984 through 1993 and it was quite a different crowd than the one I saw at a game I attended two years ago vs the Bills, quite a few tea sipping, crumpet eaters both tailgating and in the stands.

It's amazing how everytime someone brings up the Red Sox on this forum (yes I know the thread is in the wrong spot before any of you internet police jump down my throat), it never fails that someone acts like the poster is talking about the antiChrist or something, don't know why so many of you have such a friggin hardon towards the Red Sox. I'm a huge fan of BOTH teams, that is legal you know.......................

R is for Red Sox Forum.

Newsflash: Any time a team starts doing well, more fans jump on board. It's not Boston, it's everywhere, and it's not just sports, it's anything. People like to root for winners.

Obviously, more people have jumped onto the bandwagon, coupled with a savvy - bordering on annoying - marketing plan, "Red Sox nation" has undoubtedly grown. Nonetheless, it remains one of the most rabid and diehard fanbases I can think of.

By the way, the Devil Rays are a real classy organization...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

So you're a bandwaggoner.:rofl:

Why would "new apparel" necessarily indicate a bandwaggoner? Maybe they're devout Sox fans who got some Sox stuff as a birthday present. I'm no bandwaggoner but I might buy a Meriweather shirt and wear it.

Last edited:
So you're a bandwaggoner.:rofl:

Why would "new apparel" necessarily indicate a bandwaggoner? Maybe they're devout Sox fans who got some Sox stuff as a birthday present. I'm no bandwaggoner but I might buy a Meriweather shirt and wear it.

Good point. My brother bought me a new Sox hat for my birthday (don't worry, Asante4Prez, the last one was dilapidated). I'm going to go soak it in bleach until I'm a real fan.

The Sox have launched a unbelievable campaign that's tapped into so many markets it's astounding. Besides the whole family-oriented theme,they've hooked into the Japanese faction,and--they've created a dating type site called sox-appeal lol. During one home game recently they were taping a couple on a date at Fenway-apparently she was like his 3rd date of the day or something and Remy was commenting on the whole thing. It's actually a website lol (see below).
In terms of marketing,the Sox are absolutely genius. It's annoying as heck,but brilliant nonetheless. And don't forget they're competing with a franchise known as The Evil Empire. Red Sox Nation,however, is making sure the world knows they are quite the opposite.
The Sox are indeed setting up another generation of fans,and that after all,is how fanbase roots are created. And through winning of course,though Sox fans are among the most die-hard loyalists I've ever known. Patriots fans are as well,but the Red Sox go back much furthur in history so they've kind of gotten passed down through more generations.
Anyway,check this out: "There's more than one way to score at a Red Sox game" LOL
http://sox-appeal.com/

Last edited:
I would say about half the sox fans that are around today are bandwagoners as you can see the freshly new apparel every time they come into town here. Does anyone feel this way about sox fans? They just don't seem like people that have been to a game at fenway or endured any sort of hardship as fans at all. I hate to say it, but they seem like yankees fans these days...
I would say there are some new and many long-time fans. What's happening with the Red Sox is typical of any team having sustained success for a few years. There's nothing wrong with the new fans. We should welcome them and tell them that part of being a true fan is to stand by the team in good times and bad. Fan interest always ebbs and flows based on how well the team is doing.

Also, some of us fans who've been around before the Impossible Dream have to buy new apparel at some point.

I live near Baltimore and go up to see the Sox on a regular basis. Over the past few years, the Sox fans outnumber the Os fans. It really pisses off the Os fans, but what can you do? It's an obsession!

What I've noticed at Fenway is with the additions of new seats every year since the present ownership took over, more and more frontrunners are now coming to the games. There are loads of hard core fans like myself at the games, but the front runners are there as well, it's just the way it goes.

How many hard core Patriot fans are season ticket holders; I am sure there are loads of them, but the front runners are there too, bet your ass on that.

I had season tickets from 1984 through 1993 and it was quite a different crowd than the one I saw at a game I attended two years ago vs the Bills, quite a few tea sipping, crumpet eaters both tailgating and in the stands.

It's amazing how everytime someone brings up the Red Sox on this forum (yes I know the thread is in the wrong spot before any of you internet police jump down my throat), it never fails that someone acts like the poster is talking about the antiChrist or something, don't know why so many of you have such a friggin hardon towards the Red Sox. I'm a huge fan of BOTH teams, that is legal you know.......................

i completely agree it is not bad last time i checked to like both teams :agree:

I now live in Vermont, but I'm from Newyork. I'm a huge Mets fan, and come from a family of season ticket holders. Before I lived here in Vermont i Lived in St. Pete Florida for 2 years, right across the street from troppicana field. The Mets are my love but from going to Rays games for those 2 years they have become my second favorite team. I really like them and think they wil be the big suprise the remainder of the season. I do think the Sox have a lot of bandwagon fans. Since they won the World series a few years ago it seems like they are every where. Its so funny because i watched the game from Oakland tonight and there was a ton of Boston fans. C'mon people how do you become a Sox fan living all the way in Oakland CA. Thats how you know when a team has a lot of bandwagon fans is when you watch them play out of town and they have a huge cheering section. Go Rays in The AL east.

I'm not so sure the new fans are here strictly because the Sox are winning. The upswing goes back at least as far as '99 IIRC, perhaps even before they acquired Pedro in fact, I'd have to look up attendance figures. The loss in '03 being compared to the horror of '86 convinced me that many of the fans at that point were somewhat new. Anyone who experienced both knows that there just wasn't any comparison. '03 was a walk in the park. I'd say most of what you're seeing is a matter of shifting demographics, albeit with a healthy dollop of front-runnerism thrown in now that they've broken the curse.

Actually, B is for Big Papi ;)

What's wrong with new fans coming to games? The more fans, the better!

Good point. My brother bought me a new Sox hat for my birthday (don't worry, Asante4Prez, the last one was dilapidated). I'm going to go soak it in bleach until I'm a real fan.

Rofl. Yeah for real. Obviously if your Pats jersey isn't worn out and nearly shredded you must be a bandwagon fan!

Seriously, where's the harm of a Pats fan helping themselves to a brand new Adalius Thomas or Randy Moss jersey this season? I mean isn't that the point of wearing sports apparel? Because you like your team and want to wear what they do?

I really don't get the Devil Rays choice over the BoSox, but that's your choice...

Last edited:
I'm not so sure the new fans are here strictly because the Sox are winning. The upswing goes back at least as far as '99 IIRC, perhaps even before they acquired Pedro in fact, I'd have to look up attendance figures. The loss in '03 being compared to the horror of '86 convinced me that many of the fans at that point were somewhat new. Anyone who experienced both knows that there just wasn't any comparison. '03 was a walk in the park. I'd say most of what you're seeing is a matter of shifting demographics, albeit with a healthy dollop of front-runnerism thrown in now that they've broken the curse.
86 was a bone crushing phycologically devastating humiliating kick in the nuts punch to the stomach vomit on the carpet jump of a bridge kind of loss to say the least .I'm still not over it . 03 doesn't come close.

86 was a bone crushing phycologically devastating humiliating kick in the nuts punch to the stomach vomit on the carpet jump of a bridge kind of loss to say the least .I'm still not over it . 03 doesn't come close.

My father's very much a traditionalist. Back when being a dad was full-time job for him he'd be home at 6pm every night. He'd do the father stuff, ya know taking out the trash and helping out with the homework and all the other stuff. All he asked from his family was that he'd be allowed to crash in his chair while the rest of us watched TV in the living room every night and be left alone 'till he woke up at whatever time over night and went to bed with mom. In '86 I had the audacity to wake him up at the start of that inning. Why? Because I was young and stupid and thought my dad, a lifelong Sox fan, would want to see the rookie phenom mow down the Mets to bring a World Series back to Boston. To this day he still holds a grudge against me for doing that.

How do you become a Red Sox fan living all the way out on the West Coast? That's a joke right? Do you have any idea how many transplanted New Englanders there are on the left coast?

You yourself stated you live in Vermont and are a Muts fan because you are from NY originally; same deal for all the Sox fans in CA.

For the record, I hate the friggin Muts ten times worse than the Yankees; yeah, the doofus rays are a real threat in the AL East.............now THAT is comical dude..................

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back