PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2007 free agents...looking ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.

shatch62

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Since we are in the middle of the Bye Week lets look ahead…way ahead to next year.

Who are some 2007 free agents that could help the Patriots?

Adalius Thomas Linebacker
TEAM: Baltimore Ravens
HEIGHT/WEIGHT: 6'2' / 270
Size is right for the Pats system but he will not come cheap. Been very productive in the Ravens system.

E.J. Henderson Linebacker
TEAM: Minnesota Vikings
HEIGHT/WEIGHT: 6'1' / 245
DOB: 8/3/1980
Has been a disappointment in Minnesota but has size and youth to offer. Should not cost too much.

Kawika Mitchell Linebacker
TEAM: Kansas City Chiefs
HEIGHT/WEIGHT: 6'1' / 253
DOB: 10/10/1979
Finally had a good year last year in KC. Big and Fast but the production has not matched his potential yet. Might be too expensive based on “upsideâ€.

Dwight Freeney Defensive Lineman
TEAM: Indianapolis Colts
HEIGHT/WEIGHT: 6'1' / 268
DOB: 2/19/1980
Freaky athlete that would need to switch to OLB in New England. Going to cost huge money.

Gerald Hayes Linebacker
TEAM: Arizona Cardinals
HEIGHT/WEIGHT: 6'1' / 241
DOB: 10/10/1980
COLLEGE: Pittsburgh
Solid prospect coming out of Pittsburgh but has not reached his potential. Coming of a knee injury last year and is playing his best ball of his career. Little short but so is Bruschi.

Lance Briggs | Linebacker
TEAM: Chicago Bears
HEIGHT/WEIGHT: 6'1' / 238
DOB: 11/12/1980
Very productive LB but his agent is Drew Rosenhaus and he reportedly asked the Bears for more money than Urlacher gets so he is not coming to New England.

Justin Smith | Defensive Lineman
TEAM: Cincinnati Bengals
HEIGHT/WEIGHT: 6'4' / 275
DOB: 9/30/1979
Hard working DE that is having a good contract year (4 sacks already). If the price is right I would love to have him on the Pats.

Shaun Phillips | Linebacker
TEAM: San Diego Chargers
HEIGHT/WEIGHT: 6'3' / 262
DOB: 5/13/1981
RFA that is getting more and more expensive everyday. His size is perfect for the Pats.

Ken Hamlin | Defensive Back
TEAM: Seattle Seahawks
HEIGHT/WEIGHT: 6'2' / 209
DOB: 1/20/1981
Good young hard hitting safety. Seems to have put the off the field injury to his head behind him.

Michael Lewis | Defensive Back
TEAM: Philadelphia Eagles
HEIGHT/WEIGHT: 6'1' / 222
DOB: 4/29/1980
Hard hitter that has excelled in Philly. Not sure if he can be a leader as Dawkins has that role there.

I could see us making a play for Hamlin or Lewis. Strong vs the run and play in systems that require them to sometimes match up against WR's...

Not sure of what Dallas' cap number is after this season-However, the Dallas Morning News gave a long list of players and their 06 salaries.

Given the cap number at $100m-it's hard to say. However-alot of them are carrying big payrolls. Especially if Bill P leaves, Jerry may put the axe on a number of them-but a number of these are pretty darn good:

Anthony Henry(CB)-a big, physical DB with long arms.

Terrence Newman(CB)-another fine corner. Should have made the Pro Bowl last year(had lots of passes defended, but few INTs-Ty Law was just the opposite).

Jason Ferguson-Hasn't been all that here. But to be fair, thanks to the coaching, the entire DL itself gets pushed back more often than not. Should be a perfect fit in NE's schemes.

Aaron Glenn-just an ageless wonder. Probably my personal favorite on the team. THE anti-TO.

Chris Canty-a big 290pd defensive end. If the new coach next year goes to a 4-3 scheme, he's likely out. But he's a mighty darn good one, should fit any 3-4 scheme perfectly.

Terry Glenn-No really-he's just been an overall great guy here. Despite his age, the skills he still brings to the table is really special.

Can't remember the others. As for Michael Lewis-the entire Eagles sec(except for Dawkins) is over-rated. When their opponents' QBs get a split second extra time, Lito, Sheldon, and even Michael have gotten exposed.

Thomas ending up on the Pats seems like too much to hope for - he'd make this unit a top five D again if we could find someone to really crunch and run beside (or in place of ) Rodney. Of course, if I daydream I see Clements and Thomas in NE and we start the SB dance in March!!!!

I think Aaron Glenn re-upped this week.

shatch62 said:
Since we are in the middle of the Bye Week lets look ahead…way ahead to next year.

Who are some 2007 free agents that could help the Patriots?

Adalius Thomas Linebacker
TEAM: Baltimore Ravens
HEIGHT/WEIGHT: 6'2' / 270
Size is right for the Pats system but he will not come cheap. Been very productive in the Ravens system.

E.J. Henderson Linebacker
TEAM: Minnesota Vikings
HEIGHT/WEIGHT: 6'1' / 245
DOB: 8/3/1980
Has been a disappointment in Minnesota but has size and youth to offer. Should not cost too much.

Kawika Mitchell Linebacker
TEAM: Kansas City Chiefs
HEIGHT/WEIGHT: 6'1' / 253
DOB: 10/10/1979
Finally had a good year last year in KC. Big and Fast but the production has not matched his potential yet. Might be too expensive based on “upsideâ€.

Dwight Freeney Defensive Lineman
TEAM: Indianapolis Colts
HEIGHT/WEIGHT: 6'1' / 268
DOB: 2/19/1980
Freaky athlete that would need to switch to OLB in New England. Going to cost huge money.

Gerald Hayes Linebacker
TEAM: Arizona Cardinals
HEIGHT/WEIGHT: 6'1' / 241
DOB: 10/10/1980
COLLEGE: Pittsburgh
Solid prospect coming out of Pittsburgh but has not reached his potential. Coming of a knee injury last year and is playing his best ball of his career. Little short but so is Bruschi.

Lance Briggs | Linebacker
TEAM: Chicago Bears
HEIGHT/WEIGHT: 6'1' / 238
DOB: 11/12/1980
Very productive LB but his agent is Drew Rosenhaus and he reportedly asked the Bears for more money than Urlacher gets so he is not coming to New England.

Justin Smith | Defensive Lineman
TEAM: Cincinnati Bengals
HEIGHT/WEIGHT: 6'4' / 275
DOB: 9/30/1979
Hard working DE that is having a good contract year (4 sacks already). If the price is right I would love to have him on the Pats.

Shaun Phillips | Linebacker
TEAM: San Diego Chargers
HEIGHT/WEIGHT: 6'3' / 262
DOB: 5/13/1981
RFA that is getting more and more expensive everyday. His size is perfect for the Pats.

Ken Hamlin | Defensive Back
TEAM: Seattle Seahawks
HEIGHT/WEIGHT: 6'2' / 209
DOB: 1/20/1981
Good young hard hitting safety. Seems to have put the off the field injury to his head behind him.

Michael Lewis | Defensive Back
TEAM: Philadelphia Eagles
HEIGHT/WEIGHT: 6'1' / 222
DOB: 4/29/1980
Hard hitter that has excelled in Philly. Not sure if he can be a leader as Dawkins has that role there.

Thanks Shatch for pulling this all together. The list is strong but not fantastic, outisde of Thomas and Freeney mostly average or slightly above average players. Makes me wish that we had actually drafted a LB in 2004, or 2005 or 2006. The Pats system seems to have a very narrow set of players that have the height / weight combo we need at the position. I would rather not overpay for a LB and pick up a half decent veteran and add through the draft. CB is just as interesting, the lists I have seen show Clements as the clear #1 and then a big drop-off. Samuels is as good as anyone I have seen other than Clements but it seems like #22 is interested in getting the most $ during his shot at FA. Again it looks like we will be using the draft on CBs... the last time I said that they drafted a Guard and the time before that it was a TE.

Thanks again for putting the list together, really good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back