Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Mac or Zappe

• Zappe

• Mac

Results are only viewable after voting.
I have seen enough from Jones to think he will not be an elite (top 5-7) QB in the NFL which is what we need and what I want d%#*!@t

His arm is not strong enough, he sails passes, he he does not throw with velocity. He also panics when he is surprised by the rush. He holds onto the ball too long and gets sacked or throws up the ball too late instead of decisively throwing away it away earlier.

Just as importantly, he does not strike me as a leader. No charisma that I can see from him. He does not seem to project confidence in the way he talks.

It is very much early days for Zappe and could jut be an outlier but I see a lot of things I like.

He has a stronger arm, he does not sail his throws and he has great ball placement!

He has good pocket awareness and I don't get the same deer in the headlights feeling I get from Jones. He moves well in the pocket.

It is probably because he only has one read and throw (from what I can see) but he seems to be more decisive about when to pull the trigger.

Lastly, he has charisma and projects confidence when he speaks that Jones simply does not.

I would go with Zappe for at least another month or so, let Jones fully recover from injury and then make a decision.
Zappe projects charisma the way a dishrag leaks water.

I didn't go through the entire thread so I apologize if I'm repeating something here.

If Mac is healthy come Thursday (assuming that's the first full practice since the game is on Monday), the first question is who will be getting more reps with the Ones. It was interesting that although Zappe indicated that he didn't know he was starting against Cleveland until Saturday, he was sheepish and deferred to Belichick when he was asked about how the reps were split during the week which tells me he got the majority of them.
How the practice reps are split for the 1st and 2nd practice of the week is important in determining who is the anticipated starter. I recall in 2001 when Bledsoe was cleared to practice and Belichick declared Brady the starter, he (BB) stated in an interview that it wasn't feasible to have both QB's split the reps 50/50. This would take away from the starter's preparation.

We likely won't know who is getting starter reps this week but if Mac is active come Monday, it won't really matter to me who starts. Given what Zappe has shown, if Mac starts and struggles through the first half (accuracy, decision making, mobility in the pocket), I would expect to see Zappe enter and as a fan I would welcome it. So its a luxury to be in this position.

Hmm, I keep reading from Mac supporters that Zappe is benefiting from a more simplified offense/playbook than Mac has had to utilize this season.

However, according to Hunter Henry, that does not appear to be the case (1:52):

Gresh and Keefe seem taken aback when Hunter states that it's the same offense. Very interesting...

A different playbook? Doubtful...

More play action? Definitely. Higher percentage of plays under center for Zappe as well compared to Mac...

The offense rolls in a rhythm with Zap.

Ty Law sees it and so do I.

Now that the Hoyer vs Zappe poll is over with...

When Mac is cleared to play again, who do you want starting?

Also, it must be mandated that MAC10 is never allowed to ever change his username to Zappe4 or anything related.

You have to ride the hot hand. When you're winning you go with the guy who's winning. If Zappe shows he's not capable against the better teams, it's good to know Mac will be healthy in a couple of weeks. But definitely not rushing Mac back now.

This could turn into another Bledsoe vs Brady situation where you have two very good QBs competing on the same roster. Of course I'm not saying either QB is on par with Bledsoe or Brady, just saying the situation is eerily similar. In the interest of winning, I say ride Zappe's hot arm until he proves he can't get it done. The offense has finally hit its rhythm under Zappe's guidance.

From Giardi, for those asking for Jones highlights:

I will do to Mac what everybody does to diminish what Zappe has done.

That was against the worst pass defense in the league at the time of that game. Even Detroit and Cleveland pass defense was better than Baltimore pass defense

The offense rolls in a rhythm with Zap.

Ty Law sees it and so do I.

Law said. “Because you usually don’t lose your job to an injury, but when someone comes in and is playing like that, and he has the team somewhat rolling, let him go ahead and play."

That was his 0 pass TD - 3 INT and fumble game.
LOL, OK. Then under that mindset, I guess we can't show any footage of any positives from Jones this year - at all...?

I will do to Mac what everybody does to diminish what Zappe has done.
Not everyone feels that way, and it really shouldn't be like that.

I guess we can't show any footage of any positives from Jones this year - at all...?
giphy.gif

Here's a really nice breakdown of Zappe's performance against the Browns from the QB school:

What strikes me about Zappe's film here is his ability to read the whole field, adjust his footwork quickly, move in the pocket, and then make accurate throws that gives his guy a good chance to make a play on that football. Quick set and throw, almost no wasted motion, get that ball into the face of the receiver. He also made a nice throw on the run to convert a 3rd and 5 that showcased good pocket mobility.

Not going to lie, there's a lot to like. Again the Browns helped Zappe look good by making mistakes on some of those big plays, but even without that, his performance was good.

Before we anoint him the next Joe Montana, let's see how Zappe fares against the tougher defenses in the league.

Next up, he's going to face a relatively decent Bears defense that has only allowed 178 passing yards per game although that stiff 3rd ranked pass defense is countered by having the 31st ranked rushing defense at a whopping 978 yards given up on the ground. Zappe might have to be more of a game manager and we're likely to see a heavy dose of Rhamondre Stevenson. Play action will be key to breaking down that Bears defense so Zappe will still need to step up in key moments.

Here's a really nice breakdown of Zappe's performance against the Browns from the QB school:

What strikes me about Zappe's film here is his ability to read the whole field, adjust his footwork quickly, move in the pocket, and then make accurate throws that gives his guy a good chance to make a play on that football. Quick set and throw, almost no wasted motion, get that ball into the face of the receiver. He also made a nice throw on the run to convert a 3rd and 5 that showcased good pocket mobility.

Not going to lie, there's a lot to like. Again the Browns helped Zappe look good by making mistakes on some of those big plays, but even without that, his performance was good.

Before we anoint him the next Joe Montana, let's see how Zappe fares against the tougher defenses in the league.

Next up, he's going to face a relatively decent Bears defense that has only allowed 178 passing yards per game although that stiff 3rd ranked pass defense is countered by having the 31st ranked rushing defense at a whopping 978 yards given up on the ground. Zappe might have to be more of a game manager and we're likely to see a heavy dose of Rhamondre Stevenson. Play action will be key to breaking down that Bears defense so Zappe will still need to step up in key moments.

Who's Joe Montana? :D

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back