PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Your top ten favorite games from any era of the Patriots (sans the Super Bowl wins).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Your top ten favorite games from any era of the Patriots (sans the Super Bowl win

Patriots vs Oakland 2001, nuff said. :D

Re: Your top ten favorite games from any era of the Patriots (sans the Super Bowl win

I'll just stick to some regular season games that stand out in my memory...

1) The '01 regular season game vs. Indy (Cox' hit on Pathon; Patten runs, catches, and throws for TD's)

2) The '96 season finale vs. NYG (Troy making the catch on his back)

3) Bledsoe throwing 70 passes to beat Minny in OT

4) The '84 season opener vs. BUF (I had been watching football for a few years up to this point, but for whatever reason this game, starting with the long TD from Grogan to Stephen Starring on a flea flicker on the first play of the game, was the one that hooked me for good)

5) '96 regular season vs. Colts - the only Pats game I ever attended at the old stadium, went with my brother...Pats win, CuMar has a huge game, Slade and McGinest make Jim Harbaugh think he's Batman

Just found the '96 comeback @ NYG on youtube

YouTube - Giants vs Pats Comeback (1996) - 1

It's not the whole game but it's the part that mattered

All of these games are great, but I'd add...

1976 first game against the Raiders

1987 against the Rams--Hail Mary to Fryar in the end zone

and yes, 1994 against the Vikings was an incredible game.

Of the obvious ones, the two victories against the Steelers in the championship games stand out.

Peytie sporting tufts of sod, what's not to love:singing: One of my favorite Colt memories was the play he messed up; he was intending to be the WR I think, I forget but they'd practiced it all week and Manning screwed it up. Best ever.

Otherwise all those above plus Freddie Mitchell. I know this isn't supposed to include SB but when you mentioned A.Smith I couldn't help but think of FredEx:D

Fans throwing snow in the air is a classic, one of the absolute best moments in Pats history!

Instead of making the offseason go faster, threads like this just make me even MORE impatient for the 2010 kickoff! :rocker:

That was the 2004 Divisional Game. It was supposed to be a direct snap to Edgerrin James and Manning went in motion after going under center and the 'tard forgot to stop and set his feet before the snap. He was called for an illegal shift. Afterward, every Colts fan and their brother cried about it.

That was the 2004 Divisional Game. It was supposed to be a direct snap to Edgerrin James and Manning went in motion after going under center and the 'tard forgot to stop and set his feet before the snap. He was called for an illegal shift. Afterward, every Colts fan and their brother cried about it.

LMAO yessss that was it!! Good stuff:D

I love the way the Colts' (extremely annoying) radio announcer cried about it.

"They practiced that all week to perfection and the referees took it away from them!!!!!"

I laugh every time I hear it on 3 Games to Glory III.

I'll second your 2002 Week 17 against the Dolphins as a Favorite Game - even though they won, they wound up missing the playoffs - but you knew, from the way they were playing that they weren't going to be denied in 2003.

As you will recall the Patriots backs were against the wall, needing a win against the Fins (and a loss by the Jets against Green Bay) to get into the playoffs. It was the last game of the regular season.

The Patriots fell behind 24-13 with 4:59 left in the fourth quarter when Miami's Olindo Mare kicked a 28-yard field goal.

11 points down in a must win game with less than 5 minutes to go and the playoffs on the line?

No problem.

The Patriots held Miami, and eventually made it 24-21 on Brady's 3-yard pass to Troy Brown and a 2-point conversion pass to Christian Fauria with 2:46 left.

The Patriots kicked off deep rather than try an onside kick (a shrewed coaching decision), then forced a Dolphins punt, which traveled only 23 yards.

Taking over at Miami's 34-yard line, they moved close enough for Vinatieri's 43-yarder to tie it up and send it into overtime. (Which interestingly may have been the last time Adam V. attempted a 40 yard plus FG!)

At this point, everyone - including the Dolphins - sensed the Pats were a team of destiny, and Mare choked as his kickoff went out of bounds, giving the Pats the ball at their 40.

After an incompletion, Kevin Faulk ran 15 yards then caught Brady's pass for a 20-yard gain to the Miami 25. With a third-and-9 at the 24, Brady threw a 7-yard pass to Brown, and Vinatieri trotted on for the win.

The Patriots finished 9-7, in a three way tie for first place in the AFC East that the Jets won in a tie-breaker that season - not bad but it was the last time the Patriots would let another team control their destiny in getting into the playoffs.

I think the Patriots really found themselves as a team that year, shedding the perception of many that they won the 2001 SB based on good luck and good calls - and was really the main turning point in what everyone now recognizes as a football dynasty.

Another one worth noting is Bledsoe's comeback against Minnesota in 1994. That definately stands out.

In the first half, it looked as though Moon would win the showdown as he passed for 234 yards, including a 65-yard TD to WR Qadray Ismail, as the Vikings rolled to a 20-0 lead; the Patriots finally scored on the last play of the half as Matt Bahr connected on a 38-yard field goal.

New England utilized the no-huddle offense in the second half to good effect. Bledsoe completed a 31-yard TD pass to WR Ray Crittenden in the third quarter to cut the Minnesota lead in half, and in the fourth quarter he led the Patriots on an 87-yard drive that culminated in a five-yard touchdown strike to RB Leroy Thompson. A 56-yard drive set up the game-tying field goal by Bahr with 14 seconds left.

New England received the kickoff in overtime and went 67 yards in a game-winning drive that ended with a 14-yard touchdown pass from Bledsoe to FB Kevin Turner. In the second half and overtime periods alone, Bledsoe filled the air with 53 passes, completing 37 of them for 354 yards and three TDs.

Overall, Bledsoe set NFL records both for passing attempts (70) and completions (45) in a game, totaling 426 yards with the three touchdowns and, perhaps most remarkably, no interceptions. With Warren Moon completing 26 of 42 passes for 349 yards and a TD, both teams combined for the most passes attempted (112) and completed (71) in a game.

Three New England receivers reached double figures, Leroy Thompson topping the list with 11 for 74 yards. TE Ben Coates also accumulated 74 yards on his 10 receptions, while WR Michael Timpson caught 10 passes and led the team with 113 yards. Not surprisingly, the Patriots ran the ball just 12 times (for 42 yards), but they were not a strong running team in ’94, ranking at the bottom of the NFL with a yards per carry average of just 2.8.

The game marked a turning point for the Patriots – they won their remaining six games to finish at 10-6, good enough for second place in the AFC East and a wild card spot in the postseason.

Too many to sort through and weighing the entertainment value vs. drama vs. stakes vs. putting demons to rest and all the other subplots is difficult. It's easier to tier them...

TOP TIER: These were simply "you had to be there" games. These I indeed number because the ordering is easy.

1. Snow Bowl. Easily had the best combination of everything:
a. High stakes as it was the first playoff game in the first title run. And it went to OT.
b. Outstanding atmosphere with the night snow.
c. Great subplot of being the last game at old Foxboro stadium.
d. Drama up the wazoo.
e. Comeback from 10pts down in the 4th. Love comebacks.
f. Two "OMFG" moments: Overturning Brady's fumble and Vinatierri's game-tying FG from 45yds out.
g. Great subplot of first-playoff-game Brady playing blah in the first half, then getting the leash taken off in the 2nd half where he came alive.
h. Brady's 9-for-9 performance on the TD drive and 8-for-8 in OT.
i. Unsung heros: Jermaine Wiggins, JR Redmond, Richard Seymour.
j. Heroic stop on both 2nd- and 3rd-and-short to force Oakland to punt, setting up the Tuck Rule/Vinatierri heroics.

The 2001 season (a.k.a. The Tom Brady Story) was so ridiculous that it would be a cheesy sports movie if it was fiction. This game fit in perfectly in that made-for-Hollywood season.

2. Squish The Fish. The enormity of finally winning in Miami after 20 years of futility there, with the Super Bowl on the line vs. the defending AFC champ no less, supercedes what was otherwise an uneventful game. Plus that first-time feeling of "We're going to the Super Bowl!!!" was amazing for this then-teenager.

SECOND TIER: Either very high stakes or entertaining as heck, but some ingredient was missing that made the game worthy of the top tier. Tough to number.

* 2001 AFCCG. Going for it:
a. High stakes - Road AFCCG during first title run.
b. Drama: The Bledsoe Redemption (although that 2nd half was dicey).
c. Epic coaching job: The Pats stacked the line and dared Kordell to win the game. Then the Pats did the exact opposite one week later in winning SB36. And people don't think BB is the best coach of this era.
d. The two special-teams TDs, the latter providing the cushion to withstand Pittsburgh's comeback that fell short.
e. Subplot of continuing Bill Cowher's failed run of AFCCGs.

In hindsight, the opponent was overrated as Cincy exposed Pittsburgh's weak pass D in the season finale, special teams were poor all year long as epitomized by Baltimore scoring a punt return TD as well the week prior and Kordell clearly was the weak link in the offense. This takes a bit away from the magnitude of the win and keeps the game out of my top tier.

* 2002 @ Chicago. Most entertaining and unreal regular season game I've ever seen. Coming back from 27-6. The game-winning drive that included 3 holy feces plays: The Brady INT/incomplete, the QB sneak on 4th-and-3 and Patten's beautiful toe-touch game winner. The INC and TD both included lengthy reviews for dramatic effect to boot. This game would easily be in the top tier if something was at stake.

* 2003 @ Colts. The Stop. Bethel Johnson's TD at the half. Indy's furious comeback. The game ultimately decided HFA when they met in January. Another in a string of crazy 2003 regular season road wins (@Miami, @Denver, @Houston). Another easy top-tier game had this occurred in January or won the division/HFA in the final week.

* 2004 AFCCG. Much like the 2001 AFCCG, this game had a ton going for it as a top-tier game, but was torpedoed by an eminently exploitable QB, this time the rookie Big Ben. The Jets should have beaten them the week prior when Ben proved he wasn't ready for January football. Still, beating that 15-1 Steelers team and handing Cowher his fourth AFCCG loss at home was awesome. The Pats got revenge for the loss on Halloween, this time with Corey Dillon and Deion Branch able to play (Branch in particular had a monster game). Brady played with the flu in frigid conditions and was his HOF self.

* 1985 Divisional @ LA. Unbelievable that the Pats went into the LA Colliseum and ran it down a very good defense's throat in that magical playoff run. The Mosi forced fumble on the kickoff and Bowman's TD recovery for the winning margin are forever etched in my mind. The cleary in-over-his-head Marc Wilson looked like he was going to puke when he realized the game was on his shoulders. This time it's both QBs keeping the game out of the top-tier. Wilson was Wilson and the Raiders surprisingly never forced Eason to make a play; I think they're still falling for the shotgun draw handoff to Craig James.

* 2004 Divisional vs. Indy. We all felt Peyton would stink it up in the cold. We knew the Pats would be able to grind it out on the ground against a suspect Colts D. So the outcome of the game wasn't all too surprising. What was surprising is that they kept the Colts out of the endzone all game. This after Peyton set a record with 49 TD passes. This one week after the Colts lit up Denver in the WC round. This with a makeshift CB rotation after Law went out for the year vs. Pittsburgh. This was a heart-of-a-champion defensive showing.

THIRD TIER: Games more noted for just one thing...one very notable thing that made them a favorite.

* 2000 @ Buffalo. Most visually stunning game. Field covered in ice. Snow and sleet blowing sideways. FG attempts going straight into the long snapper's butt. It was keystone cops out there. I don't care that it was two bad teams going at it. It was amazing to watch teams compete in those conditions.

* 1986 @ LA Rams. Only time I've seen the Pats win on a Hail Mary on the final play. Eason to Morgan to Fryar.

There are so many games that deserve mention and a list of just 10 is an injustice to them. In particular (no order):

- 2003 Divisional vs. Tennessee
- 1996 Divisional vs. Pittsburgh
- 1986 season finale @ Miami
- 1994 season opener vs. Miami
- 1998 back-to-backs vs. Miami & Buffalo
- 1996 season finale @ NYG
- All those crazy 2003 road wins (Miami, Denver, Houston)
- Some of the 2007 scorefests and the 38-35 season finale

and many others I'm forgetting.

Regards,
Chris

Last edited:

For you old timers, one of my favorite games was in 1976 vs the Broncos at Schaefer. The Patriots went out to a 31-0 halftime lead and ended up winning 38-14 but the amazing thing was the running game, 322 yards on the ground (not to mention the 9 sacks of Denver QB's). Utter dominance by John Hannah and crew. Red Miller was offensive line coach and got the Denver HC job off that game. Denver had been a Patriot nemesis until then.

The 1978 final Chuck Fairbanks team still holds the all-time NFL single season rushing record of 3165 yards, but his 1976 team (the one that lost to Ben Dreith in the playoffs) was the most talented Patriot team the 2003/2004 teams. For charter Patriot fans, it was particularly exciting because it was the first time the Patriots had a top tier team. The tuck-rule game was such sweet revenge for the years of bitterness that followed. I hope Raiders fans suffer for 25 years, too.

Besides Miller, Ron Earhardt and Ray Perkins were also on that team as assistants of Fairbanks that went on to be head coaches in the NFL. It's interesting to note that Ernie Adams was already a special assistant with the Pats back then, before following Ray Perkins to the Giants where he ended up meeting Bill Belichick.

Last edited:

I just beeezed through but a couple I didnt notice.

-1979 56-3 whoopijng of the Jets. We scored on something like 6 of 6 first half possessions and probably totalled about 20 plays to do it.
-1976 41-3 over the Jets on Monday NF. Grogan ran 40-some yards for a TD on a QB draw.
-1996 Sunday Night win over the Chargers. We almost put Stan Humprhies in the hospital. I think we sacked him 9 times. That was the turning point for that team. Willie McG was a beast that game.
-Should the "1" from the 1-15 1991 season count?
-Week 2 2003 trouncing perennial SB favorite Philly to follow up "They hate their coach game"
-Someone mentioned the 2001 Colt game, Bradys first start. But what followed was his first loss vs Miami....memorable because BB held a funeral for the game and buried the ball at practice, then Brady's first 50 pass come from behind win against the Chargers and Flutie.

Some random games I remember...

Week 1 vs Cleveland in 1995. After losing to the Browns in the playoffs the Pats win on a late TD by some rookie named Curtis Martin.

@ Indy in 1996. After getting pounded by Denver the week before, Parcells unleashed the run game. Martin ran the ball down the throat of the Colts all game long.

vs SF in 1998 when Zolak started against Young, Rice, etc. Big win for the team.

Comeback at Chicago in 2002. There was no way they were going to win that game. Nothing was going right that day, in a season where nothing went right. Brady hit Patten(?) in the back of the end zone for the win.

Some of my favorites:

Opening day 1986 against the Colts - first season tickets
Bledsoe's comeback against Minny - huge day for the franchise, turning around
Tennessee ice game playoff - bitter cold, frozen beer, walking out like a mummy
Opening the new stadium against Pittsburgh - with the video highlight of Kordell Stewart repeatedly saying "the better team didn't win" regarding the NE-Pittsburgh playoff game every time NE had a great play
Oakland snow bowl
Miami snow confetti
Flutie drop kick

1) intentional safety @ Denver circa 2003 - huge strategic move plus 2 minute drive success.

2) 2007 division game @ San Diego - still the biggest upset the team ever had based on how bad that 2006 team was (i.e. branch traded, bug eyes and old man troy along with gaffney picked up the slack for doug gabriel) and how good San Diego was (other than their coach). Also, Harrison was hurt in the last game against Ten. Think Troy Brown strip and the direct snap to Faulk for the 2 point conversion. Also think about Ghost earning his stripes as a rookie in the league.

3) Colts circa 2004 - think 3 touchdowns (1 run, 1 pass, 1 throw) by David Patten in one half. I know someone else did it in a game but not sure if it had ever been done in a half. Note: was the the same game that Dungy decided to kick long with 10 seconds in the 1st half and Bethel Johnson tightroped the sideline for a TD return????)

4) Pats @ Chicago ( @ U of I). Solder field was under renovation and a late interception overturned by instant replay plus a onsides kick allowed the Patriots to win the game in a remarkable fashion.

All the other obvious ones I saw were already mentioned.

3) Colts circa 2004 - think 3 touchdowns (1 run, 1 pass, 1 throw) by David Patten in one half. I know someone else did it in a game but not sure if it had ever been done in a half. Note: was the the same game that Dungy decided to kick long with 10 seconds in the 1st half and Bethel Johnson tightroped the sideline for a TD return????)

The Patten game was their second meeting in 2001. I think the Pats won 38-17. He had 2 TD catches, 1 TD pass, 1 TD run. The game that Bethel ran the kick back before the half was the classic 2003 "goal line stand" game.

* 2002 @ Chicago. Most entertaining and unreal regular season game I've ever seen. Coming back from 27-6. The game-winning drive that included 3 holy feces plays: The Brady INT/incomplete, the QB sneak on 4th-and-3 and Patten's beautiful toe-touch game winner. The INC and TD both included lengthy reviews for dramatic effect to boot. This game would easily be in the top tier if something was at stake.

I'm SO glad someone mentioned this game. This really was a precursor to the Championship of '03 where I literally could not believe that the Patriots were pulling off victory after victory. The Titans, Broncos, the Colts, the Texans, and ultimately, the Panthers. That stretch was the most clutch I've ever seen any team play and why I wonder if it's not completely unrealistic to expect any subsequent Patriots team to attain that level again.

Hey Kontra, here's one outside the box fer ya...
The Pats December 1980 Monday Night Football game from The Orange Bowl.
Also remembered as how the world found out that John Lennon had just been shot.
Back in the days before everyone had cable, the viewership for MNF was astronomical for there were about only 7 channels back then. Everyone used to watch the same stuff at night and talk about it the next day.
The Pats were playing in the dreaded Orange Bowl, where they never, ever won. Sometime during the game, Howard Cosell, in that famously dramatic voice of his, broke the news that Lennon had been shot outside The Dakota. He didn't have further details of his status as the nation held its collective breath. Phones began ringing across the country as the pre-internet word spread from home to home. Everyone was asking,"Did you hear Cosell during the Dolphins game? John Lennon has just been shot." (the Pats were just the supporting cast to Shula, Griese, Czonka, & company)
Well, the next day, I went to my 8th grade Connecticut school and all the kids were razzing me because the Pats had lost AGAIN in The Orange Bowl. Well, after second period, it became too much and I had ta go outside and get away from all the abuse. I was walking out the door with tears in my eyes and a teacher saw me and asked,"Oh, are you sad because John Lennon died last night?" I whimpered back,"No. Gez. The Patriots lost AGAIN in Miami. And they were even ahead in the 4th quarter." The teacher musta thought I was lonny tunes.
Anyway, that was 8th grade when I was 14. I hadn't yet matured to be able to grasp the magnitude of who John Lennon was and all he stood for & represented to so many people. Well, now I'm 43, and after running an independent record label for 17 years here in NYC, I certainly can.

As for The Pats, Kontradiction, back on November 27th, 1966, The Boston Patriots won in The Orange Bowl. I was TWO MONHS OLD. Okay? You with me so far? Well, 19 or 20 trips down to Miami later, on January 12th, 1986, The Patriots finally won again. It just happened to be the freaking AFC Championship game. I WAS NINETEEN YEARS OLD BY THEN!!! I watched it at college at N.C. State (the Jim Valvano's Wolfpack era).
The FINALLY won down there, beat freaking Dan Marino (who were the only team to beat the Bears that year, again, on Monday Night Football, when Monday Night Football used to actually mean something because it would be on most of the television sets in bars & homes back then.)
Craig James ran up the gut the whole game. He's the LAST white running back to gain 1,000 yards in a single season, btw. That season. The 1985 season. The 1985 season, when The New England Patriots FINALLY won in The Orange Bowl.
You think The Patriots own The Bills these days? That's NOTHING compared to The Phish-Pats of 1967-1985.
And everybody remembers where they were when they heard John Lennon had been shot. Know where everyone was? In front of a t.v. ,watching The Dolphins-Patriots Monday Night Football Game from The Orange Bowl. The night Howard Cosell became more than a sportscaster in that moment. He was giving updates for all of the country abut something else altogether." Heady times, man. And that Pats-Phish game was a freaking war. And I'm sure people are gonna say,"Why is this guy mentioning a game The Pats lost as one of his faves?" Because I don't need to be a 20-something year old bandwagon jumper to love a team! That's why. And I love the red throwBACKS. Know why? Because they do what they're meant to. Yeah, to take me BACK! Back to when I was a kid and I loved seeing those Red jerseys and the gorgeous Pat Patriot white helmets do battle with the hated mighty Dolphins.
And these clueless juvies cry,"Oh, not the red unis again. Why? So we can remember when The Pats were crappy?" They always point to the 2-14 and 1-15 seasons. That's only two individual years. These juniors don't remember the 1970's, when The Pats would lose, yet leave it all out on the field. And when I was a kid, my HEART would be right out there with them... in my Sears and Roebuck RED Steve Grogan jersey.

(aside)- Whatchoo Talkin' 'Bout, Kontradiction? How in The Hell can you not put that Pats Divisional Miracle in San Diego not up like in your top THREE or something? Wazzamatta? You get dumped the night before er sumpthin and weren't into the game that day? Konta, it was 14-3 in the 2nd quarter. SEASON OVER. It was the frickin' 2006 Chargers. They were awesommmme. What's tha freakin' dealio with the b.s. honorable mention? What, a freaking honorable mention for the TROY BROWN STRIP game?

And you actually LIKED that blue-on-blue unis look? BWAH!!!!! I bet your taste in fashion is just as atrocious. The reds are gorgeous. The white away unis they wore in Denver last year were beautiful too. I thought we'd see 'em again in Miami, but it was a day game, so The Phins wore white at home. They only wear turquoise blue or an occasional orange at night.

And he gives the Troy Brown Strip an honorable mention. lol.

"Whatchoo Talkin' 'Bout, Kontradiction?"

The 1985 FCCG game in Miami brought back good and bad memories for me.

We went down to the Orange bowl to see the "Squish the Phish" game and the Miami fans were good natured and absolutely positive the Pats would be crushed as always, after what, 18 in a row there?

I really enjoyed the game, and the victory earned the Pats first Superbowl appearance.

We were so happy, we decided to stay a few more days, and play some golf. When we got back to New England, we discovered season ticket holder's had to accept SB reservations or lose the right, and the time had already passed!

So "No Soup[er Bowl] for You!"

Then there was the bittersweet Bears embarassment of the "same old Patsies".

Pewster you've got some great stories, thanks!

The 1985 FCCG game in Miami brought back good and bad memories for me.

We went down to the Orange bowl to see the "Squish the Phish" game and the Miami fans were good natured and absolutely positive the Pats would be crushed as always, after what, 18 in a row there?

I really enjoyed the game, and the victory earned the Pats first Superbowl appearance.

We were so happy, we decided to stay a few more days, and play some golf. When we got back to New England, we discovered season ticket holder's had to accept SB reservations or lose the right, and the time had already passed!

So "No Soup[er Bowl] for You!"

Then there was the bittersweet Bears embarassment of the "same old Patsies".

I was at the 85 AFC Championship game as well. After the game, we went to the bar at Hotel Barcelona which was filled with jubilant Patriot fans pounding $1 cans of beer. It was absolute bedlam.

As the night wore on, whenever we saw Don Shula's ugly mug on TV, someone would yell "Don Shula?" to which the rest of the crowd would reply "On vacation!!!" (Repeat as necessary with various Dolphin players - "Dan Marino?" ...)

At one point, a bartender told me he was afraid they would run out of beer. I said smething to the effect of ... this is Miami, you must see this sort of thing all the time. To which he replied "Buddy, I've never seen anything like this in my life.""

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back