PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Your top ten favorite games from any era of the Patriots (sans the Super Bowl wins).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Your top ten favorite games from any era of the Patriots (sans the Super Bowl win

98 phins game with Drew's busted finger with the pin stickin out and the onfield mutiny 9still remember even "Teresa" waived off the ST)

Snowbowl! Had the luck to attend as my ol man busted his ribs coughin (lol!) and my brothers had been to games already that year. Never let him forget that one ;) My mother, dad's buddy n his wife all wanted to leave after the fumble. I managed to talk em into stayin til the end of the review promisin I'd watch the rest of the game shirtless if it was overturned. they lemme throw my coat back on once overtime hit thank god.

Re: Your top ten favorite games from any era of the Patriots (sans the Super Bowl win

I was at the 85 AFC Championship game as well. After the game, we went to the bar at Hotel Barcelona which was filled with jubilant Patriot fans pounding $1 cans of beer. It was absolute bedlam.

As the night wore on, whenever we saw Don Shula's ugly mug on TV, someone would yell "Don Shula?" to which the rest of the crowd would reply "On vacation!!!" (Repeat as necessary with various Dolphin players - "Dan Marino?" ...)

At one point, a bartender told me he was afraid they would run out of beer. I said smething to the effect of ... this is Miami, you must see this sort of thing all the time. To which he replied "Buddy, I've never seen anything like this in my life.""

We played golf on a course in Key Biscayne. Each hole had a sign and a Spanish name for the hole. I remember setting up on a most unusual tee that you had to hit directly up a steep hill.

So being ignorant, without a course layout, we hammered our drives high, over the hill and climbed the hill only to discover the Extreme dogleg right, and the Atlantic Ocean on the other side into which we had pounded our drives. So the term "Mucho Aqua" as the name of the hole was most appropriate.

I also "lost" a ball in the middle of a fairway and got into a dispute about "casual hazards". I just refused to get too near my ball which came to rest, nestled a few feet from a Gator sunning himself there. I still don't know what the official golf rule is in such situations.

No particular order (these are all games I attended):
- Season opener 97 Foxboro v SD...it was about 85 degrees, best weather ever for a Pats game - bloody marys, cigars, and actually getting a tan in a beach lounge chair! Expectations were sky high and Pats delivered, crushing SD 41-7
- Houston 1989...my first game ever and my first taste of "Flutie Magic" :D
- Snow Bowl
- 96 AFC Title game win over Jacksonville...went absolutely crazy as Otis Smith picked up a fumble and returned it to seal the game...passing around a bottle of Jack with complete strangers in "Lot A" as we all partied together chanting TUNA, TUNA, TUNA!
- 01 SD...Brady's first big comeback
- 07 WAS...I had never seen such a blowout, 52-7
- 03 AFC Title Game IND..shutting down the best offense in the league and simultaneously quieting the national media
- 03 DIV playoff TEN - beers froze en route to seats from beer stand
- 93 IND - strange one, yes, but it was the first blowout/complete Pats domination I'd ever attended. Pats almost had two guys rush for 100+; Leonard Russell did and Corey Croom was 5 or 6 yards short IIRC
- 02 season opener PIT...beautiful weather, great tailgate, and putting an exclamation point on who really was the better team, Kordell, etc...

Not 10 right now, but I'll throw out a game that hasn't received much love so far: 2008 @BUF, aka The Wind Bowl. Masterful coaching plus the best punt in Patriots history. :)

1985 AFC Championship - Everybody thought the Pats couldn't win. The Dolphins were supposedly the superior team and the Pats had won in Miami only one time before that IIRC.

Yup, my favorite Pats game of all time. Nothing comes close. Well maybe the 2001 SB game.

After the '86 Pats got hammered brutally in the SB by the Bears, life was tough for Pats fans. But early in the '88 season Da Bayiz finally came to Foxboro. Opening play, Flutie goes back to pass and tosses an 80 yard TD bomb to the Reverend Fryar. Bears were never in the game losing 30-7 or somesuch. Redemption.

A game that I haven't seen mentioned yet is the 2002 game against the Bears in Champaign. The Patriots were down 27-6 or something like that late in the third before making a furious comeback. I remember a beautiful David Patten catch in the back of the end zone, and also Tom Brady batting away what would have been a game-clinching INT from a Bears DL in the final minutes. They also caught a huge break in that a 4th down Brady sneak appeared to be a good half yard shy of the first down, but the refs moved the chains, and the offense got a play off before it could be reviewed.

It gets lost in the overall mediocrity of the season, but that game was one of the more fun games in this recent run.

Not 10 right now, but I'll throw out a game that hasn't received much love so far: 2008 @BUF, aka The Wind Bowl. Masterful coaching plus the best punt in Patriots history. :)

Nice sleeper pick...

After the '86 Pats got hammered brutally in the SB by the Bears, life was tough for Pats fans. But early in the '88 season Da Bayiz finally came to Foxboro. Opening play, Flutie goes back to pass and tosses an 80 yard TD bomb to the Reverend Fryar. Bears were never in the game losing 30-7 or somesuch. Redemption.
I think you nailed the final score. I remember rookie John Stephens running roughshod over a very good Bears D. I also remember Flutie picking on CB Vestee Jackson and the announcers harping on that point as Flutie was on the Bears the two years prior, so he knew the weak links in the Bears' secondary.

One of only 4 regular season losses for the Bears that year.

Regards,
Chris

A game that I haven't seen mentioned yet is the 2002 game against the Bears in Champaign. The Patriots were down 27-6 or something like that late in the third before making a furious comeback. I remember a beautiful David Patten catch in the back of the end zone, and also Tom Brady batting away what would have been a game-clinching INT from a Bears DL in the final minutes. They also caught a huge break in that a 4th down Brady sneak appeared to be a good half yard shy of the first down, but the refs moved the chains, and the offense got a play off before it could be reviewed.

It gets lost in the overall mediocrity of the season, but that game was one of the more fun games in this recent run.

That's a GREAT call! How did we miss it?!?

Regards,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back