PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Your NUMBER ONE priority for the offseason is....

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the last two years I have said pass rush, and even though that has not been adequately addressed, I'm going to change the top priority to the the left side of the offensive line.

First of all look at how much the Patriots offense improved as soon as Mankins returned. Second, look at what one of the biggest issues was in their losses: opposing defenses being able to get pressure up the middle.

We've all known for a long time that the best way to beat the Pats is to limit Brady's effectiveness, and the best way to do that is with pressure up the middle. That's easier said than done - something opposing fans with their overly simplistic viewpoint of 'all you have to do is hit Brady' overlook. But if more teams are able to do this on a more consistent basis, then the Pats will be in serious trouble.

First way to accomplish this goal is to extend Mankins. Second is to add a quality offensive lineman through free agency and/or with an early draft pick.

The Pats just can't afford to go into 2011 with an interior line consisting of Koppen alongside some combination of Connolly, Wendell and Kaczur. As much as I appreciate their efforts, that group needs to be upgraded.

The other part of that equation is left tackle. So for now, extend Matt Light. I don't know of a better alternative readily available. Extend those two, now you can go back to focusing on the pass rush, and pick up an OLB and a DE with early draft picks.

Edit: I guess that's technically two positions, which is not what was originally being asked. So if it's just one thing, I'll go with extending Mankins.

Last edited:
Now remember you can only pick ONE position, so don't do any WR/CB/DE responses :cool:
No brainer a 3-4 Outside Linebacker who can set the edge in the running game and rush the passer. It's too bad the New England Patriots selected Brandon Meriweather instead of LaMarr Woodley in the first round of the 2007 NFL Draft.

Fairly the DT from Auburn.

#1 priority is to set up the O-line for the next 5 years with:

OT -starter, likely round 1
OG -starter, like round 2
C/OG combo- backup, round 3 or later

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday