PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Your First New England Patriots Game (Live)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first game was 1962,in late November or early December, saw the Pats beat the NY Titans 24-17 at Nickerson Field...I was 11...that's about all I remember...in 1969 I attended B.U. as freshman,living in West Campus, which overlooked Nickerson Field. Saw Bruce Taylor dominate offensively from the DB position and then get drafted by S.F.

Held Pats season tickets from the mid 70's until they built the Razor..Section 206...metal benches in lightning storms,2-14 seasons,icebox like conditions...those were the days...heh

Can't remember the year, but it was back in the days of drew when the team wasnt all that special. Want to say mid-90's and it was against the jets. Cold, and had recently snowed, and the pats got licked. Because of this, my father (season tickets) brought me and my brothers to my uncles nearby to catch the 4th quarter (younger brother went to tears b/c feet hurt from the cold). I have been to many since, the top being the snow-bowl against oakland. Had to take my shirt off if we won the review in order to stay to see review (fathers rich ticket sharing buddy wanted to bounce), so that was another rather chilly event.

I believe it was 1990 or 91. If I remember correctly Hugh Millen lead the Pats to victory over Buffalo in an upset win. They honored Steve Grogan at halftime so my buddies and I painted G R O G A N on our chests. We walked to the stadium through the woods from a friends house. Liquor bottles and toilet paper littered the trail. The security guards only let us bear our chests at half time. It was an overcast/misty day and it seemed that almost half the crowd was dressed in yellow rain bibs and jackets. I remember thinking the stadium was like a giant lobster boat with 50,000 drunken fishermen.

December of 1986 against the Bengals. We had moved in April from Melbourne, Australia and I knew next to nothing about American Football.

I went with my Dad and his business partner. We parked by the racetrack and got to the game about 2 hours before kickoff.

My first impression of Patriot football was the dirt/gravel parking lot and the U-Haul truck that pulled up next to us. The truck pulls up, the back opens and a bunch of guys jump out with a couch, table and full bar. It was interesting to say the least!

We sat halfway up in 300's and had the misfortune of having 4 Bengals fans sitting directly in front of us. The reason I say misfortune is that the Bengals smoked the Pats that day and all of the people sitting behind us in the section started throwing peanuts, hot dogs, empty cups, etc at the Bengals fans.

Needless to say, their aim wasn't that good and I got pelted. Good times :D

Dec. 27th 1992 against Miami, the last game of the year. They were 2-13 going into the game. Scott Zolak was our starter. IIRC game time temp was 16 degrees.

I drove down from Portsmouth with a buddy and his younger brother the day after my blower fan for the heater died. I had to stick my head out the window going about 55 for a few miles to get the windsheild defrosted. We stopped at a liquer store on the way down and bought some nips to keep warm.They had a chance to win it with a FG at the end but the K (Baumann?) missed it from short range. The whole crowd groaned and they lost it in OT by a FG.

Some rookie named Scott Lockwood rushed 30 times for 123 yards to keep it close and Sam Gash scored our only TD with a 1 yard dive. I was 20 and in the offseason Orthwein hired Parcells who drafted Bledsoe. I caught some of the fever in '86 but this game and that offseason got me hooked. I think my tiks were in Sect. 314.

January 6, 2002 at Carolina - the Week 2 game postponed b/c of 9/11. Temps in the teens, attendance around 15,000, Panthers were awful (1-14) - Pats deliver a 38-6 spanking and clinch the AFC East title :)

Altogether been to 23 Pats games (27 counting preseason) - mostly road games (19).

This was my first Patriots game in person too. I remember the stadium was about 75% Patriots fans. We moved down from the upper deck to sit right at the goaline on the Patriots sideline. After the game celebrating with other Pats fans by high fiving strangers and yelling was an awesome experience.

some of the highlights ive been too I know I posted but some of the game in the so called super bowl era

Sept 30 2001 - Tom Brady era begins

Oct 5th 2003 - Game 1 of the streak

Oct 24th 2004 Game 21 of the streak

the 3 banner raising cermony which including game 1 at Gillette.

December 7th 2008 vs the Seahawks

...If I actually do end up getting to make it down there for the game.
My two favorite sport teams. Although I guess it is a bit odd that a football team would play a hockey team. But I guess the 70s were a crazy time and I was still yet to be born.:wha:
lol, do I know you? Same game, same city, same two favourite sports teams.

My first game was supposed to be in Seattle as well, but I have exams that week so I called an audible :)p) and booked San Francisco instead.

lol, do I know you? Same game, same city, same two favourite sports teams.

My first game was supposed to be in Seattle as well, but I have exams that week so I called an audible :)p) and booked San Francisco instead.

I doubt it, Im sure Id remember a Pats fan in Etown. I think theres only two of us in this city that dont hate the Pats haha.

I was planning on the San Diego game Week 6, but its the same night as a friends Wedding:(. And the Oilers Season opener haha. Im going to have to pvr a couple games for thanksgiving monday.

Dec. 27th 1992 against Miami, the last game of the year. They were 2-13 going into the game. Scott Zolak was our starter. IIRC game time temp was 16 degrees.

I drove down from Portsmouth with a buddy and his younger brother the day after my blower fan for the heater died. I had to stick my head out the window going about 55 for a few miles to get the windsheild defrosted. We stopped at a liquer store on the way down and bought some nips to keep warm.They had a chance to win it with a FG at the end but the K (Baumann?) missed it from short range. The whole crowd groaned and they lost it in OT by a FG.

Some rookie named Scott Lockwood rushed 30 times for 123 yards to keep it close and Sam Gash scored our only TD with a 1 yard dive. I was 20 and in the offseason Orthwein hired Parcells who drafted Bledsoe. I caught some of the fever in '86 but this game and that offseason got me hooked. I think my tiks were in Sect. 314.

That was my first year as a seaon ticket holder. Lockwood was awesome that day and the crowd was into it. Miami was so much better than the Pats its was ridiculous, but the Pats players responded and ultimately lost. That was life as a Pats fan back in those days!

Patriots against the Chiefs at Boston College. I don't remember much, just that it was a great day for football, as they say (crisp, sunny autumn).

Apparently 1969 with Mike Taliaferro at QB. They lost 31-0 which is probably why I don't remember it. During the reign of insane Clive Rush (actually went to a mental hospital after he left the PATS).

This journalist deduces his 30 day examination between seasons was a mental hosp stay.

Some funny here. http://www.sunjournal.com/story/248219-3/bsection/16_fumbles/

Last edited:
My first game was 2 years ago, it was versus the Dolphins on New Years Day. I had gotten a awesome 40 yard front row ticket on the Pats sidelines thru ticketmaster. We lost on the last play of the game (I saw lots of Cassel that day).

I'm going to my 3rd game against the Jets this November (Troy Brown night now!!!) and ironically I will see lots of Cassel again. They've lost the first 2 games I've seen live (I travel down from the Maritimes of Canada) so I'm hoping the 3rd time's the charm!

It was 1986 at the old Sully Stadium against the New York Jets

Fun team.
Mosi Tatupu, Stanley Morgan, Irving Fryar, John Hannah.
Andre Tippett, Steve Nelson, Julius Adams, Ray Claborn, Ronnie Lippett.
Eason and Grogan.

First year out of college. Five friends and I bought four season tickets, and then we had a "draft" for the tickets. We each picked one ticket, then the next round, and so forth. Then we'd trade to round out the games we wanted to see.

Lot's of fun. The stadium crowd was so different then - screaming, fighting, crazy games.
Been going ever since, through good years and bad.

Well, I live in Canada, so I dont have alot of opportunities to watch them live. The first was versus the Vikings in the Metrodome back in '95. It took me another 13 years before i saw them live again. My wife and I make the trek to Foxboro for the AFC Championship game last year. And why not? the last home game of an undefeated season....at least that was the thinking.

Last edited:
The first game I went to also happens to be the only game I've ever been to. It was in week 6 of the '99 season against Miami. The Pats went in 4-1 and were looking great early on. Marino was knocked out of the game early and Ty Law & Andy Katzenmoyer ran picks back to the house in the first quarter. Damon Huard took over for Marino, Mare kicked 6 or 7 field goals, and the Dolphins ended up winning in the final minutes on a Stanley Pritchett TD catch. It was a really disappointing game as the Pats were in control almost the entire way.

That game was a good representation of that entire '99 season; a great start but overall just really disappointing.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was at the old stadium againts the Raiders in 1971. Jim Pluckett was the QB and Randy,the Rabbit, was awesome at WR. They defeated the Raiders.

I remember saying to my firend,as we watched the drunks being hauled out of the stands in handcuffs, this team is really going somewhere. I was right, the team went right into the crapper.

This post underlines how poor my memory is. My first game would have been in Shaefer Stadium in the early 70's as my family had season tickets. I believe it would have been in 1974, because I use to have the binoculars focused squarely on John Hannah, during many plays just to watch him dimolish everyone in his path.

The first game I have a memory of is a 1976 game against the Bills, because I was so pumped to see OJ Simpson play. He got thrown out of the game in the first quarter for punching a Patriot player. His anger management issues go back a ways. :)

My first Patriots Game was in 1970 at Harvard Stadium against The Baltimore Colts.I was a Sophmore in High School and My friend Joe took Me to the game and I was hooked.The Patriots lost that day but one of the most famous incidents in Patriots History took place when The Patriots called Notre Dame Running Back Bob Gladieux out of the crowd to report to The Patriots Locker Room.10 minutes later Bob Gladieux made the tackle on the opening kickoff and then proceeded to blow lunch since He had been drinking for two days after getting cut the previous Friday.That was the first of many stories that I chronicled about following The Patriots in the 1970's Those were wild days!

Last edited:
My first Patriots game was I think in 1988 I was 9 years old and this is what I remember:

(1) They played the Buccaneers who I think won the game
(2) They gave away football cards at the game
(3) Even though my older cousin and I had tickets to the game we snuck in under the fence on the old hill at the back of the home side of the stadium
(4) It was the first time I ever smelled drugs in the air
(5) We left early in the fourth quarter because I said I was sick but the truth is I had to badly take a dump and I was scared to use the bathroom and even though my cousin asked me like 9 times "are you really sick or do you just have to take a crap?" I was insistent that I really was sick which was a complete lie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents