PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Your biggest POSITIVE camp surprise?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guyton. We knew Mayo was supposed to be good, for that high a pick, but to get a UDFA who seems to be picking up a complex system, who could beat out a vet, and who has such an incredible speed, bodes well for coverage on the inside in future years.

We'll have to see how he develops over the next year, but so far, so good. Especially as he builds his upper-body strength.

Looking past this year (which is admittedly hard to do after last February), Guyton and Mayo on the inside make it possible to run a traditional 3-4 with that hard to find combination of power and speed.

That is a huge positive.

I don't ever recall hearing so much about a rookie class as a group, rather than just a collection of new talent. Report after report of their hard work, intelligence and above all esprit de corps. It seems like they've really relied on each other and learned together--how awesome must it be for so many of them to make the roster together. That could set a great foundation for the team's next generation.[/QUOTE]

Exactly pc. We're set up for when we lose a lot of great players in the next year or 2 and this whole group will be lucky enough to have that year or 2 working with Rodney and Bru and all the rest.

This draft took us one Giant step towards solidifying the future.

The biggest camp surprise for me is the depth at LB.

It was not so long ago the LB position had zero depth.

I have to agree with the others about Crable. The dude is everywhere! Lest not forget, BB traded out of their original 3rd round selection spot only to pick up Crable with their 2nd 3rd round selection. Not only did they still get their man but they also gained the Chargers 2008 5th round selection (160 overall) and their 2009 2nd round selection. They then parlayed that 2008 5th round selection into pick 153 (from the Bucs, not sure what the Pats gave up for that though) in order to select Slater.

CJ Jones, he has looked really, really good.

I have to agree with the others about Crable. The dude is everywhere! Lest not forget, BB traded out of their original 3rd round selection spot only to pick up Crable with their 2nd 3rd round selection. Not only did they still get their man but they also gained the Chargers 2008 5th round selection (160 overall) and their 2009 2nd round selection. They then parlayed that 2008 5th round selection into pick 153 (from the Bucs, not sure what the Pats gave up for that though) in order to select Slater.

They gave up their 7 this year. [If they had made the trade to get Zackary Bowman, they probably would have had to give up their 6.]

Well, this preseason hasnt made it easy to find posetives. I would have to say BB's willingness to work with rookie LBs. We havent had a rookie LB make the team in forever and this year there are 3! Now I wont agree with the poster who thinks this means a deeper LB corp.....but we have to stay posetive here.

The biggest POSITIVE to me is the improvement of Gostkowski. Last year BB had NO confidence in him (remember 4th and 9 in the SB?). If it was today, BB would send him out to kick that FG.

I also agree with others on this board on Ventrone and Guyton.

Crable, Wheatley, Mayo should be contributors on this team where they were drafted. If it was last year, they'd all be way down the depth chart in Wk1. With Seau, Rosie, Samuel, Gay & Stallworth all gone, their contributions are necessary in '08.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back