PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

* Ye Olde 2013 Mock Draft Thread!! *

Alright, here's the first of many to come. No trades mainly due to the fact that i have a hard time drawing up any reasonable ones in my mind.

1. Logan Ryan, CB, Rutgers. He may not be ranked that high now but come April this will be about right. We may not need him considering we may resign talib and possibly get something from ras-i but i couldn't look past his consistently tight coverage.

2. Cobi Hamilton, WR, Arkansas. Big receiver that has pretty good quickness. There are many receivers that i really like, some even received first round considerations in this mock, but hamilton seemed like pretty good value at this spot. I wanted a receiver that had size and speed so i gave a lot of thought to da rick rogers as well but his perceived character flags did him in.

3. Sean Porter, LB, Texas A&M. I believe he is the coverage lb I have coveted for years. Not quite as good as past binkies such as sean weatherspoon and lavonte david, but he'll do. He is very athletic and I have even seen him on multiple occasions effectively cover the slot.

7. Baker Steinkuhler, DT, Nebraska. Offers very little pass rush but is an active run defender. I like that he is the one that often tackles the running back and not the lbs behind him. Im hoping that we could fatten him up and turn him into something similar to randy starks.

7. Elvis Fisher, OT, Mizz. A developmental OT. He can't stay healthy and this late in the draft im just trying to find anyone that could make the squad. I could easily go for one of those former tight ends that this board is so good at identifying instead.

An Alternative draft would have us going quality over quantity and using our picks for 2 players. Jonathan Hankins and Justin Hunter. Ideally, they would turn into wilfork and aj green.

At some point i will borrow someones trade downs and come up with something that feature quantity over quality instead. Hope you guys like.

Mayo, what do you think of my first attempt on page 37?

All attempts right now are throwing darts. I'm hardly the arbiter of mock draft quality. Logan Ryan seems a tad high at the moment, but he could rise. Sean Porter's an interesting pick. None of the guys are one my personal short list, but that doesn't mean anything.

I said it before and i keep thinking that another 1st in 2014 would be awesome. A much better class.

I'm a little leery of the "next year will look much better" theory. 2005 was considered one of the weakest drafts of the century, but we got a stud at 32 in Mankins, and a solid pick in the late 90's in Kaczur. 2006 was considered stronger, but it sucked in retrospect.

BB will decide come draft time whether there's value, and how that value stacks up against the trade opportunities. This draft looks very weak at the top but very deep to me, and I personally see plenty of values, depending on how it falls. I'm never averse to stockpiling 1sts, but teams seem to have wisened up to the pitfalls of mortgaging their future.

Im not sure i like the idea of Hightower moving up to DE, as he ever played there in college? We do need a LB that cover the field.

Hightower was a defensive end in high school, and he played out of a 3 point stance a fair amount for the Crimson Tide in sub packages. Alen Dumonjic - who generally knows what he is talking about - discussed this at length in an article for the Bleacher Report:

Like every other team, the Crimson Tide used a significant amount of sub packages, which is when Hightower made his biggest position change. Hightower went from a two-point stance to a three-point stance when he slid down to defensive end, a position which saw him give offensive tackles fits.

Although he lacks great agility, he has quick hands and a good first step that causes problems from the edge rush position as witnessed against Mississippi State when he beat the right tackle with quick hands.

With all that said, it begs the question, what does he bring to the Patriots defense?

Judging by last season's defensive structure, the odds are that the Patriots will be playing a lot of four-man fronts, which means there are three linebackers, except when the team goes to nickel and dime sub-packages. Hightower's likely to get a lot of snaps between strong and weak-side linebacker, especially the former because he would be a great asset when the team plays their 'Under' front.

An 'Under' front is when the defensive tackle ('three-technique') covers up the weak-side guard and the strong-side linebacker, which would be Hightower, is on the line of scrimmage. This is a very interesting alignment for the Patriots because Hightower can disrupt the timing of the tight end coming off the line of scrimmage by jamming and rerouting him, which is ideal because of his strength, prior to blitzing after the quarterback.

Furthermore, when New England goes to their sub-package along with a four-man front, Hightower's likely to slide down to defensive end and look to get after the quarterback. His ability to do this is interesting because he can also execute drops in coverage from this alignment when the Patriots go to their zone blitzes. He can also force offensive lineman question their blocking assignments by easily going from a three- to two-point stance.

Hightower's versatility was likely the selling point for Bill Belichick when it came to the debate over selecting him in the first round. Belichick emphasis versatility in order to save roster spots to utilize on other crucial positions, which is why Hightower makes so much sense in New England.

What Does Dont'a Hightower's Versatility Bring to the Patriots' Defense? | Bleacher Report

The Pats could do a lot with Hightower lining up out of a 3 point stance and a guy like Ogletree, Barr or Van Noy at LB. Hightower's versatility and the pass rushing skills of those LBs would allow them to bring the LBs on the blitz while having Hightower drop into coverage at times. A clever DC could create a lot of confusion. You could also do a lot with ameboid formations.

We obviously wont know until then but just look at all the talk about guys that may or may not declare this season, i think it gives you a pretty good idea of next year class.
Now im with you, this one looks deep. And thats why i wouldnt mind trading back or trade into next year. In 2013 you can get very nice players in the middle rounds but in 2014 you can get elite players in the 1st round IMO.

Knowing that, will anyone trade a 1st in 2014? Doub it. So, back to 2013!

As for LB's, wouldn't mind Boren in the middle of the draft. What do you guys think of Kiko Alonso?

ATippett56 NFL Week 14 Mock Draft Special :D

Note: Subject to change in future weeks :eek:

1st Round - Jesse Williams, DT - Alabama

Trade New England Patriots 2nd round draft pick to the Miami Dolphins for Miami's third round and Miami's fourth round draft picks (Miami owns Chicago's third round draft selection)

3rd Round - Bacarri Rambo, FS - Georgia
3rd Round - Brian Winters, OT - Kent State or Rick Wagner, OT - Wisconsin
4th Round - Stedman Bailey, WR - West Virginia
7th Round - Darius Slay, CB - Mississippi State
7th Round - Corey Broomfield, CB - Mississippi State

Comments

Substitute Louis Nix, DT - Notre Dame for Jesse Williams, DT - Alabama if Louis Nix declares early for the 2013 NFL Draft.

2013 UDFAs (training camp fodder/potential 53 man roster sleepers)

Zac Stacy, RB - Vanderbilt
Mychal Rivera, TE - Tennessee
Ben Cotton, TE - Nebraska
Keenan Davis, WR - Iowa
Emory Blake, WR - Auburn
Chad Bumphis, WR - Mississippi State
Joe Madsen, OC - West Virginia
Blaize Foltz, OG - TCU
Tanner Hawkinson, OT - Kansas
Jake Knott, OLB - Iowa State
Devin Smith, CB - Wisconsin
Trey Wilson, CB - Vanderbilt
Earl Wolff, SS - North Carolina State
Rontez Miles, SS - California (PA)

Note: All 2013 UDFAs currently ranked lower than 254 by NFLDraftScout.

Alternative draft throwing in a bit of wheeling and dealing. Salary cap info from New England Patriots' Salary Cap Scenario Heading into 2013 | Bleacher Report using NYjetscap info has us bringing 14 mil forward to about 35M under the projected cap... but who knows until i get a better source that's what i will use.

Sign: Wes , Talib, Vollmer, Edelman. 20M pool
Other re-signings: Woodhead, Macdonald, Thomas, Brace, Scott & White. 3m pool

Total for re-signings: 19M -21M

1.) 32 Traded back to 48 and 80

2a.) Traded for a 2014 1st rounder. I want the pats to continue to load up as i thin the recent (2010-2012) success in the draft is a result of this philosophy and has allowed us to move for players like Gronk, Jones, Hern, Hightower and others.

2b.) Darnell Dockett. If this situation becomes bad, it could be a really interesting situation for the pats to pounce on. He is past 30 and would add a very talented pro at the DE position in the 3-4 and LDE in our 4-3. I also am becoming of the opinion our D is young enough we just needed 1 or 2 defensive Vets a la Talib. I thnk this acquisition would make the pats better on all 3 levels of d. (my only thing is what is the value you give up here? 2nd or 3rd and a 7th?) Salary for 2013 is also only 4.45m so it's not a massive hit and could be reworked with an extension to help out the pats cap needs in the following years.

3.) Kenny Stills : seems like a pretty solid athlete, good body control but will obviously have to see how he would do at the combine as far as measurables. I do think adding a receiver who is an intermediate to deep threat would be nice and Stills seemed to block ok from what i saw.

7.) Jeff Nady - OT prospect late to fight and see if he can take that swing tackle spot for the pats.

7.) Kahlid Wooten - CB/S tall and is a possibility to throw at the wall vs TE's and also would provide a more physical corner back presence is fast and could help on ST.

Alternative draft throwing in a bit of wheeling and dealing. Salary cap info from New England Patriots' Salary Cap Scenario Heading into 2013 | Bleacher Report using NYjetscap info has us bringing 14 mil forward to about 35M under the projected cap... but who knows until i get a better source that's what i will use.

Sign: Wes , Talib, Vollmer, Edelman. 20M pool
Other re-signings: Woodhead, Macdonald, Thomas, Brace, Scott & White. 3m pool

Total for re-signings: 19M -21M

1.) 32 Traded back to 48 and 80

2a.) Traded for a 2014 1st rounder. I want the pats to continue to load up as i thin the recent (2010-2012) success in the draft is a result of this philosophy and has allowed us to move for players like Gronk, Jones, Hern, Hightower and others.

2b.) Darnell Dockett. If this situation becomes bad, it could be a really interesting situation for the pats to pounce on. He is past 30 and would add a very talented pro at the DE position in the 3-4 and LDE in our 4-3. I also am becoming of the opinion our D is young enough we just needed 1 or 2 defensive Vets a la Talib. I thnk this acquisition would make the pats better on all 3 levels of d. (my only thing is what is the value you give up here? 2nd or 3rd and a 7th?) Salary for 2013 is also only 4.45m so it's not a massive hit and could be reworked with an extension to help out the pats cap needs in the following years.

3.) Kenny Stills : seems like a pretty solid athlete, good body control but will obviously have to see how he would do at the combine as far as measurables. I do think adding a receiver who is an intermediate to deep threat would be nice and Stills seemed to block ok from what i saw.

7.) Jeff Nady - OT prospect late to fight and see if he can take that swing tackle spot for the pats.

7.) Kahlid Wooten - CB/S tall and is a possibility to throw at the wall vs TE's and also would provide a more physical corner back presence is fast and could help on ST.

Dockett is an impressive player. But he's 31, he has some issues, and he has a huge contract. Not sure that all adds up.

Now Calais Campbell might be worth it, huge contract and all. He's only 26, and I'd love his length at LDE opposite Chandler Jones.

Dockett is an impressive player. But he's 31, he has some issues, and he has a huge contract. Not sure that all adds up.

Now Calais Campbell might be worth it, huge contract and all. He's only 26, and I'd love his length at LDE opposite Chandler Jones.

I agree with your points. But Campbell hasn't just been fined 200k by his team, argued with his coach and had run ins with his team mate.

That's the only reason I mocked a trade scenario as it would be my hope he may want out of the sinking ship.

I mean if i was looking for DT's just to trade for and it was my ideal world i'd be looking at Geno Atkins to put across from Wilfork in the 4 man front as he has been a dominant interior rusher this year.

I will be watching this post season closeley for some of these scenarios though. Talib really showed today that one move like that can have such a great ripple effect on this D.

7rd-John Boyett S Oregon-not sure about this one, will he be healthy? have no idea, but a character kid with tremendous playmaking ability? grab him!
I played him in HS football during the playoffs. He was the slipperiest player I've ever had to tackle. His kinetic intelligence was uncanny.

Until the scheme or DC is changed, we won't get anywhere near outstanding no matter who we draft.

No offense Manx, but I beg to differ. Or maybe not. If you mean we won't get anywhere by playing soft zone and BBDB with no pressure, I agree. The scheme has changed dramatically over the past several games since Talib and Dennard have emerged and McCourty has moved to FS, because the defensive personnel in the secondary now give the coaching staff the confidence to play more aggressively. The front 7 is being used in a completely different fashion, and it's very refreshing. And the addition of 1 or 2 more defensive playmakers could put this defense over the top, IMHO.

No offense Manx, but I beg to differ. Or maybe not. If you mean we won't get anywhere by playing soft zone and BBDB with no pressure, I agree. The scheme has changed dramatically over the past several games since Talib and Dennard have emerged and McCourty has moved to FS, because the defensive personnel in the secondary now give the coaching staff the confidence to play more aggressively. The front 7 is being used in a completely different fashion, and it's very refreshing. And the addition of 1 or 2 more defensive playmakers could put this defense over the top, IMHO.

When he wrote that a month ago he had a better argument, but like the last few years the young defenses have improved significantly as the seasons have gone on. There's more confusing/complex looking formations, more blitzing, a little more 1-gapping and more aggressive 2-gapping. Everyone has been a little more aggressive. Wilfork especially has been playing like a DPOY the last handful of games. Talib and McCourty seem to be settling in.

Still, if Romeo gets fired I would make him an offer for coordinator. Nothing against Patricia, I like Patricia, but I think Romeo is an upgrade on just about anyone. Otherwise, I wouldn't be looking for an upgrade over the bearded one.

Last edited:

Until the scheme or DC is changed, we won't get anywhere near outstanding no matter who we draft.

Sorry but where did I say anything wrong. But thank you for taking the time to dig out an old post. I'm sure I'll reciprocate dome time.

Last edited:
Sorry but where did I say anything wrong. But thank you for taking the time to dig out an old post. I'm sure I'll reciprocate dome time.

I never said you did anything "wrong". And I specifically acknowledged that if you meant scheme change from BBDB that I agreed with you. Regardless, I firmly believe that we have the pieces in place to build on to create an elite D. We don't need a new DC, and we don't need to start over from scratch. And I believe that we are 1 or 2 players and probably one year away from an elite defense.

I never said you did anything "wrong". And I specifically acknowledged that if you meant scheme change from BBDB that I agreed with you. Regardless, I firmly believe that we have the pieces in place to build on to create an elite D. We don't need a new DC, and we don't need to start over from scratch. And I believe that we are 1 or 2 players and probably one year away from an elite defense.

I don't think that can be deduced from one game personally, a game where the Texans played right into our hands.

It was probably the best defensive performance I've seen by the Patriots in years but it was only one game. I suggest talking "elite" is a little premature.

I don't think that can be deduced from one game personally, a game where the Texans played right into our hands.

It was probably the best defensive performance I've seen by the Patriots in years but it was only one game. I suggest talking "elite" is a little premature.

I think that the talent base is there for an elite defense in about a year if we can add 1-2 players. I think that Wilfork, Jones, Mayo, Spikes, Hightower, McCourty, Talib and Dennard are all excellent players to build around. Talib's the only one not currently under contract for 2013, Spikes for 2014. Wilfork's the only one over 30, and there's a lot of young players who should get better, including 3 rookie starters. Love, Ninkovich, Cunningham and Gregory are solid supporting players (Cunningham didn't even play yesterday). There's room for some young guys to develop. Fletcher will be back, and hopefully Dowling can develop. If we can add a couple of players, as discussed in the blueprint thread, and if the youngsters continue to improve and the overall cohesion improves, the defense should be at another level next year.

My 4 priorities on defense:

- A stud LDE opposite Jones
- Depth at DT
- A coverage LB
- Secondary depth (a better starting safety next to McCourty, a 3rd outside press-man CB if Dowling doesn't pan out)

ATippett56 NFL Week 14 Mock Draft Special :D

Trade New England Patriots 2nd round draft pick to the Miami Dolphins for Miami's third round and Miami's fourth round draft picks (Miami owns Chicago's third round draft selection)

3rd Round - Bacarri Rambo, FS - Georgia
3rd Round - Brian Winters, OT - Kent State or Rick Wagner, OT - Wisconsin
4th Round - Stedman Bailey, WR - West Virginia
7th Round - Corey Broomfield, CB - Mississippi State

Comments

Substitute Louis Nix, DT - Notre Dame for Jesse Williams, DT - Alabama if Louis Nix declares early for the 2013 NFL Draft.

Keenan Davis, WR - Iowa
Emory Blake, WR - Auburn
Blaize Foltz, OG - TCU

Amended 2013 UDFAs to the aforementioned list:

D.J. Harper, RB - Boise State
Nick Kasa, TE - Colorado
Keenan Davis, WR - Iowa
Emory Blake, WR - Auburn
Blaize Foltz, OG - TCU
Omar Hunter, NT/DT - Florida
Kapron Lewis-Moore, DE/DT - Notre Dame
Quinton Dial, DE/DT - Alabama

Note: All 2013 UDFAs currently ranked lower than 254 by NFLDraftScout

2013 New England Patriots training camp - offensive player distribution:

QB - 3
HB - 6
FB - 2
TE - 8
WR - 10
OL - 15

Last edited:
Amended 2013 UDFA's to the aforementioned list:

Nick Kasa, TE - Colorado
Keenan Davis, WR - Iowa
Emory Blake, WR - Auburn
Blaize Foltz, OG - TCU
Omar Hunter, NT/DT - Florida

Note: All 2013 UDFAs currently ranked lower than 254 by NFLDraftScout

2013 New England Patriots training camp - offensive player distribution:

QB - 3
HB - 6
FB - 2
TE - 8
WR - 10
OL - 15

Screw UDFA. I'd use draft picks on these guys. Omar Hunter and AJ Klein I'd take with the 3rd round pick.

ATippett56 NFL Week 15 Mock Draft Special :D

2nd Round - Kenny Vaccaro, FS - Texas
3rd Round - Brian Winters, OT - Kent State
7th Round - Tanner Hawkinson, OT - Kansas or David Quessenberry, OT - San Jose State

Comments

Keenan Davis, WR - Iowa
Emory Blake, WR - Auburn
Blaize Foltz, OG - TCU
David Quessenberry, OT - San Jose State
Omar Hunter, DT - Florida
Corey Broomfield, CB - Mississippi State

2013 New England Patriots offense - training camp

QB (3) - Brady, Mallett, UDFA or UFA
RB (6) - Vereen, Ridley, Bolden, Demps, Harper, Stacy
FB (3) - Larsen, Fiammetta, Develin
TE (8) - Gronkowski, Hernandez, Fells, Hoomanawanui, Ballard, Herman, Rivera, Cotton
WR (10) - Welker, Lloyd, Edelman, Slater, Aiken, Ebert, Logan, Davis, Blake, Bumphis
OT (6) - Solder, Cannon, Zusevics, Winters, Hawkinson, Quessenberry
OG (6) - Mankins, Connolly, Thomas, Warren, Foltz, UDFA or UFA
OC (3) - Wendell, McDonald, Miller

Aiken, Ebert, Logan, Warren, Miller are currently on the New England Patriots practice squad.

Demps, Edelman, Herman, Larsen are currently on the New England Patriots reserve/injured reserve list.

Ballard is currently on the New England Patriots reserve/physically unable to perform list.

Fiammetta is currently on the New England Patriots reserve/exempt list.

Official Website of the New England Patriots | Team - Players

Last edited:
Screw UDFA. I'd use draft picks on these guys. Omar Hunter and AJ Klein I'd take with the 3rd round pick.

This year's UDFAs were not too shabby. Francis is better than Bequette
and Bolden looks like a good running back.

What the Patriots have to do is sign the higher end UDFAs like they did this year.

This has been my "mock" for a few weeks now. Thoughts?

1st - Ezekiel Ansah DE Brigham Young - Christmas in April if he doesn't go earlier. Starting left end who can kick inside on passing downs.

2nd - Markus Wheaton WR Oregon State - Brady needs a young target, and a target with electric speed. Wheaton brings both to the table, along with enough polish to get on the same page as Mr. Quarterback early in the relationship.

3rd - Chris Jones DT Bowling Green - Crazy good first step. 146 tackles, 43 TFL, 28 sacks in his career despite being double teamed consistently, and despite being a defensive tackle. Motor never stops. Would be a nice complement to Kyle Love.

7th - John Boyett FS Oregon - Instinctive safety who can play both SS/FS. has uncommon feel for the position. Takes good angles when moving downhill, but isn't tentative. Tackles properly, and also makes receivers pay when they catch the ball.

7th - Earl Watford OG James Madison - Caught this kid on ESPN3 and was highly impressed. Nasty interior lineman with quick feet and deceptive power. Gets really low and finishes blocks. Has the frame to get bigger without losing his plus athleticism.

Priority free agents:

Seantrel Henderson OT Miami - The ultimate Scar project. Improved his game over the past season to cap off a greatly underwhelming college career.

Sio Moore LB Connecticut - Speedy sideline-to-sideline tackling machine who can play moving backwards. Instinctive in zones. Ideal 4th linebacker to platoon with Mayo, Spikes, and Hightower.

Ty Zimmerman S Kansas State - Team leader who plays a heady game and flies around the field. Good special teamer who can play in the box with force.

Khalid Wooten CB Nevada - Fluid athlete at 6'0 and 200 lbs who returns punts for Nevada. Good boundary corner, who has improved at the position since his arrival. Will compete for punt return duties if Edelman is gone.

This has been my "mock" for a few weeks now. Thoughts?

1st - Ezekiel Ansah DE Brigham Young - Christmas in April if he doesn't go earlier. Starting left end who can kick inside on passing downs.

2nd - Markus Wheaton WR Oregon State - Brady needs a young target, and a target with electric speed. Wheaton brings both to the table, along with enough polish to get on the same page as Mr. Quarterback early in the relationship.

3rd - Chris Jones DT Bowling Green - Crazy good first step. 146 tackles, 43 TFL, 28 sacks in his career despite being double teamed consistently, and despite being a defensive tackle. Motor never stops. Would be a nice complement to Kyle Love.

7th - John Boyett FS Oregon - Instinctive safety who can play both SS/FS. has uncommon feel for the position. Takes good angles when moving downhill, but isn't tentative. Tackles properly, and also makes receivers pay when they catch the ball.

7th - Earl Watford OG James Madison - Caught this kid on ESPN3 and was highly impressed. Nasty interior lineman with quick feet and deceptive power. Gets really low and finishes blocks. Has the frame to get bigger without losing his plus athleticism.

Priority free agents:

Seantrel Henderson OT Miami - The ultimate Scar project. Improved his game over the past season to cap off a greatly underwhelming college career.

Sio Moore LB Connecticut - Speedy sideline-to-sideline tackling machine who can play moving backwards. Instinctive in zones. Ideal 4th linebacker to platoon with Mayo, Spikes, and Hightower.

Ty Zimmerman S Kansas State - Team leader who plays a heady game and flies around the field. Good special teamer who can play in the box with force.

Khalid Wooten CB Nevada - Fluid athlete at 6'0 and 200 lbs who returns punts for Nevada. Good boundary corner, who has improved at the position since his arrival. Will compete for punt return duties if Edelman is gone.

That's a fantastic mock.

Ansah in the first would be fortuitous but you acknowledge that and I haven't seen enough of Chris Jones to really comment but it would be hard to better that mock without including trades.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back