PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

* Ye Olde 2013 Mock Draft Thread!! *

That's a fantastic mock.

Ansah in the first would be fortuitous but you acknowledge that and I haven't seen enough of Chris Jones to really comment but it would be hard to better that mock without including trades.

Thanks. Jones is basically Mike Wright or Jonathan Babineaux. Never going to be that stout guy you start inside, but makes up for it with his quickness somewhat if you let him one-gap, and with a run-stuffing/triple-teaming machine like Wilfork next to him, along with Jones and Ansah who control blockers with their hands so effortlessly, you could let him pin his ears back on early downs and go for the TFL.

The classic notion has always been to put two wide bodies in the middle, and have designated pass rushers on the outside. But with the way west-coast type routes have predominated, and how quick the ball comes out nowadays, it seems like teams are moving towards going quick at DT and having a bigger guy hold the edge, to deform the pocket faster. If BB wants to move to such a scheme, Jones would be a good candidate.

I'm all over the place. This a good draft class with talent all over the place. Just can't seem to identify the team needs like in other seasons.

I feel comfortable with the two corners we have and would like to see Talib signed to a mutual contract. Like San Diego States Leon McFadden for his man skills if they are going to bring somebody in via draft.

At safety I like Vaccaro, Elam and Rambo as candidates.

DE I really like this season. Ansah, Okafor and Carradine I like early. D Taylor S Carolina, Quanterus Smith out of W.Kent and David Bass out of Missouri Western are sleeping giants. Any of the 6 do it for me. Preferably 2.

Jenkins, Short And Williams at DT may be in our range. To be honest I'd rather wait until next year here. Seems like Francis is coming around and they can probably put a plug stop gap free agent later on.

Wr I love Tavon Austin, Terrence Williams and Stedman Bailey. not the most pressing need but these three seem to be explosive and in our range.

At guard I think Jonathan Cooper is worthy of a first round pick if he they go oline. He makes Ridley a Super star right away. I'd be willing to wager he is one of the safest picks in the 2013 draft and would succeed immediately with Scar. This guy I think is my first pick if he is available.

Put something better together later.

I'm all over the place. This a good draft class with talent all over the place. Just can't seem to identify the team needs like in other seasons.

I feel comfortable with the two corners we have and would like to see Talib signed to a mutual contract. Like San Diego States Leon McFadden for his man skills if they are going to bring somebody in via draft.

At safety I like Vaccaro, Elam and Rambo as candidates.

DE I really like this season. Ansah, Okafor and Carradine I like early. D Taylor S Carolina, Quanterus Smith out of W.Kent and David Bass out of Missouri Western are sleeping giants. Any of the 6 do it for me. Preferably 2.

Jenkins, Short And Williams at DT may be in our range. To be honest I'd rather wait until next year here. Seems like Francis is coming around and they can probably put a plug stop gap free agent later on.

Wr I love Tavon Austin, Terrence Williams and Stedman Bailey. not the most pressing need but these three seem to be explosive and in our range.

At guard I think Jonathan Cooper is worthy of a first round pick if he they go oline. He makes Ridley a Super star right away. I'd be willing to wager he is one of the safest picks in the 2013 draft and would succeed immediately with Scar. This guy I think is my first pick if he is available.

Put something better together later.

Pretty much all this is spot on, particularly the Cooper love. I'd recommend adding Markus Wheaton to your list of WR's.

Here we go folks.. Here is my shot.. I continue with my Brother OTG and develop our D for Future Dominance. Our O is set and looks like Bill will take care of holes via FA with the Cap Room that they have.

1. Matt Elam - SS 5-10 / 205 Florida
(Think of this pick as our Brandon Spikes for the Secondary in tandem with Dmac)
elam100612.JPG

2. Kwame Geathers - DT 6-6 / 355 Georgia
Building the Grizzly Family for an eventual Big Vince Departure. Imagine an interior line of Big Vince and this Big Fella!
6_756960.jpg

3. Tyrann Mathieu - CB 5-9 / 175 LSU
A slot cb who is a PLAYMAKER / HoneyBadger in DaHouse
Tyrann-Mathieu.jpeg

I have come at this from a different perspective to look at needs. I basically had a look at our roster and am basing my picks on the places we do not need. The places i thought we could upgrade best through the draft were Slot CB, DT, DE and Saftey.

Assumptions:

Resign (at least untill camp): Julian Edelman WR/PR, Aqib Talib CB , Sebastian Vollmer OT, Wes Welker WR, Nick McDonald C/G, Michael Hoomanawanui FB/TE, Donald Thomas G, Tracy White ST/OLB, Danny Woodhead RB, Trevor Scott DE, Marquice Cole and Niko Koutouvides ST/LB.

Leave via FA/Retire:
Kyle Arrington, Ron Brace, Deion Branch, Patrick Chung, James Develin, Marcus Harrison, Derrick Martin.

IMO Not needs: QB, RB, FB, TE, ILB and OLB (base), OG

Medium Needs: Penetrating DT/DE, CB Depth, OT Depth and C

Thinner positions:

WR (only Welker, Edelman and Lloyd under contract)

4-3 DE (Jones is the Starter, the rest comes down to our FO's view of Cunningham, Bequette, Francais and Ninkovich as our future at the position)

Saftey (with Chung leaving in this scenario depth may be needed here to push this years rookie and FA pickups opposite McCourty)

1.) Trade 32 back to 38 and 102
Ezekial Ansah DE: he seems to be a bit of a project and didn't have the best bowl game. But he undoubtably has the raw athletic ability.

I think we have enough depth at the position in Nink, Cunningham, Bequette. So we can bring him on in our own time and on passing downs let him lose in our NASCAR package with Jones, Cunningham e.t.c

Dion Jordan is another worth consideration... i am just not completely sold here as he doesn't look solid enough against the run for a pick this high and he seemed from the tape i watched to be limited to the speed rush... but he is another guy with the frame and athletic ability to be a difference maker on D.

I thought about Tavon Austin here but in my opinion we have him light in Julian Edelman who has come along way this year before his injury. I'd also rather continue to invest in our defense.

2.) Robert Lester SS: With the departure of Chung and the up and down play from the other 2 players at the position. Lester could be another piece to the puzzle that is creating a dominant defense for the Pats. If he turns out to be more Mark Barron than Bust it could be a big piece.

WR's like Stills and Patton could come into consideration here as well pending how WR is addressed in FA. I personally view Hernandez as a WR anyway hence keeping Hoomanawanui and Ballard as the other 2 TE's. But i think grooming a young WR is a very good option also.

3.) Tyrann Mathieu CB: I'm taking a risk here but he is a real talent and i don't mind wasting a 3rd on this gamble. Upside would be a great STer, Slot CB and just allround athletic play maker.

4.) Traded for a 2014 3rd rounder

7.)William Campbell DT Good specimen a camp body to keep up competition with Pryor, Love and Deadrick.

7.) Terron Armstead, OT: Good developmental prospect to see if Dante can mold into a swing tackle prospect even guard.

That leaves the camp roster at:
OFF:

QB: Brady, Mallett
RB: Ridley, Vereen, Bolden, Demps, Woodhead
FB/TE: Hoomanawanui
TE: Gronk, Hernandez, Ballard
WR: Lloyd, Welker, Edelman, FA?
OT: Solder, Vollmer, Cannon, Armstead
OG: Connolly, Mankins, Thomas
C: Wendel, Macdonald

DEF:

Saf: McCourty, Gregory, Wilson, Lester
CB: Dennard, Talib, Ras-I, Mathieu, Cole
OLB: Hightower, Mayo, White
ILB: Spikes, Fletcher, Rivera
DE: Jones, Bequette, Cunningham, Ansah, Ninkovich, Scott, Francis
DT: Wilfork, Love, Pryor, Deadrick, Campbell

ST: Gostkowski, Mesko, Aiken, Niko Koutouvides, Nate Ebner, Matt Slater

Last edited:
That's two mocks in a row with Mathieu in the 3rd round. Seems like a bad idea to me, and I'm usually the guy that loves problem prospects. I'd take him in the 7th, but in the 3rd is too risky. There are very good player available in the third.

@jsull, I'm also intrigued by William Campbell.

I have come at this from a different perspective to look at needs. I basically had a look at our roster and am basing my picks on the places we do not need. The places i thought we could upgrade best through the draft were Slot CB, DT, DE and Saftey.

Assumptions:

Resign (at least untill camp): Julian Edelman WR/PR, Aqib Talib CB , Sebastian Vollmer OT, Wes Welker WR, Nick McDonald C/G, Michael Hoomanawanui FB/TE, Donald Thomas G, Tracy White ST/OLB, Danny Woodhead RB, Trevor Scott DE, Marquice Cole and Niko Koutouvides ST/LB.

Leave via FA/Retire:
Kyle Arrington, Ron Brace, Deion Branch, Patrick Chung, James Develin, Marcus Harrison, Derrick Martin.

IMO Not needs: QB, RB, FB, TE, ILB and OLB (base), OG

Medium Needs: Penetrating DT/DE, CB Depth, OT Depth and C

Thinner positions:

WR (only Welker, Edelman and Lloyd under contract)

4-3 DE (Jones is the Starter, the rest comes down to our FO's view of Cunningham, Bequette, Francais and Ninkovich as our future at the position)

Saftey (with Chung leaving in this scenario depth may be needed here to push this years rookie and FA pickups opposite McCourty)

1.) Trade 32 back to 38 and 102
Ezekial Ansah DE: he seems to be a bit of a project and didn't have the best bowl game. But he undoubtably has the raw athletic ability.

I think we have enough depth at the position in Nink, Cunningham, Bequette. So we can bring him on in our own time and on passing downs let him lose in our NASCAR package with Jones, Cunningham e.t.c

Dion Jordan is another worth consideration... i am just not completely sold here as he doesn't look solid enough against the run for a pick this high and he seemed from the tape i watched to be limited to the speed rush... but he is another guy with the frame and athletic ability to be a difference maker on D.

I thought about Tavon Austin here but in my opinion we have him light in Julian Edelman who has come along way this year before his injury. I'd also rather continue to invest in our defense.

2.) Robert Lester SS: With the departure of Chung and the up and down play from the other 2 players at the position. Lester could be another piece to the puzzle that is creating a dominant defense for the Pats. If he turns out to be more Mark Barron than Bust it could be a big piece.

WR's like Stills and Patton could come into consideration here as well pending how WR is addressed in FA. I personally view Hernandez as a WR anyway hence keeping Hoomanawanui and Ballard as the other 2 TE's. But i think grooming a young WR is a very good option also.

3.) Tyrann Mathieu CB: I'm taking a risk here but he is a real talent and i don't mind wasting a 3rd on this gamble. Upside would be a great STer, Slot CB and just allround athletic play maker.

4.) Traded for a 2014 3rd rounder

7.)William Campbell DT Good specimen a camp body to keep up competition with Pryor, Love and Deadrick.

7.) Terron Armstead, OT: Good developmental prospect to see if Dante can mold into a swing tackle prospect even guard.

That leaves the camp roster at:
OFF:

QB: Brady, Mallett
RB: Ridley, Vereen, Bolden, Demps, Woodhead
FB/TE: Hoomanawanui
TE: Gronk, Hernandez, Ballard
WR: Lloyd, Welker, Edelman, FA?
OT: Solder, Vollmer, Cannon, Armstead
OG: Connolly, Mankins, Thomas
C: Wendel, Macdonald

DEF:

Saf: McCourty, Gregory, Wilson, Lester
CB: Dennard, Talib, Ras-I, Mathieu, Cole
OLB: Hightower, Mayo, White
ILB: Spikes, Fletcher, Rivera
DE: Jones, Bequette, Cunningham, Ansah, Ninkovich, Scott, Francis
DT: Wilfork, Love, Pryor, Deadrick, Campbell

ST: Gostkowski, Mesko, Aiken, Niko Koutouvides, Nate Ebner, Matt Slater

glad to see patton getting some love my favorite WR in the draft except austin. I think we got ansah patton mcfadden mathieu as four but wouldnt be surprised if we took lemonier in the second and took a DT in the first then hope patton is there in the third for us i hope we take a chance of mathieu BB will sort him out and hes a playmaker

That's two mocks in a row with Mathieu in the 3rd round. Seems like a bad idea to me, and I'm usually the guy that loves problem prospects. I'd take him in the 7th, but in the 3rd is too risky. There are very good player available in the third.

@jsull, I'm also intrigued by William Campbell.

I was going to qualify by saying i'd be more comfortable taking the risk in the 7th. But i have a feeling not unlike Jenkins last year that the 3rd round is where someone is going to take him. I am just reflecting that in the mock as i am just trying to add playmakers to this D and can they be any less productive than our last couple of 3rd rounders (obvious exception of Ridley and yes i understand to early for Mallett and Bequette)

multiple trade downs...giving preference tosome of the players mentioned here.

2. stedman bailey WR

3. logan ryan CB Rutgers/ Leon McFadden CB SDSU
3. Markus Wheaton WR OSU

4. Gerald Hodge LB PSU
4. Margus Hunt DE SMU

5. Dave Quessenberry OL

6. Josh Boyd DT Miss St.
6. Swearinger S USC

7. Zac Stacy RB Vanderbilt
7. dalton freeman C Clemson

I was going to qualify by saying i'd be more comfortable taking the risk in the 7th. But i have a feeling not unlike Jenkins last year that the 3rd round is where someone is going to take him. I am just reflecting that in the mock as i am just trying to add playmakers to this D and can they be any less productive than our last couple of 3rd rounders (obvious exception of Ridley and yes i understand to early for Mallett and Bequette)

The 3rd round in general seems to be Belichick's kryptonite area. Did good in 05 with Hobbs and Kaczur. From 06-10 we've drafted; Dave Thomas - te, K.O'Connell-qb, S. Crable- olb, Brandon Tate- wr, K.McKenzie -lb and Taylor Price - wr. Other than a kick return or two by tate. Nada from that group. One of the reasons I'm not crazy about trading down from our 2nd for an extra three. Would rather just take the pick. Is 58 right now. Just don't draft a db there.

The 3rd round in general seems to be Belichick's kryptonite area. Did good in 05 with Hobbs and Kaczur. From 06-10 we've drafted; Dave Thomas - te, K.O'Connell-qb, S. Crable- olb, Brandon Tate- wr, K.McKenzie -lb and Taylor Price - wr. Other than a kick return or two by tate. Nada from that group. One of the reasons I'm not crazy about trading down from our 2nd for an extra three. Would rather just take the pick. Is 58 right now. Just don't draft a db there.

Stevan Ridley?

Rang and Brugler have a new mock out today at CBSSports. Rang has us taking Matt Elam. But, I believe he announced he's returning. He has Shariff Floyd and Sam Montgomery available. I'd go with Monty. Brugler has us taking Tavon Austin. I could see it. But, E. Ansah is still available. I'd go with Mayo's binky there. Lack of a pass rush is going to kill us.

2013 NFL Mock Drafts - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

Thomas has done well with New Orleans tho.

But i agree we haven't had the best of luck in the third. Until the Ridley and Mallet picks which were very very good and we don't know what we have in last years third.

I still say if you get an elite play maker in the passing game for your nickle which is played generally over 50% of snapps in todays NFL it's not a bad gamble here even if we do have Ras-I there still (my hope springs eternal for him).

Thomas has done well with New Orleans tho.

But i agree we haven't had the best of luck in the third. Until the Ridley and Mallet picks which were very very good and we don't know what we have in last years third.

I still say if you get an elite play maker in the passing game for your nickle which is played generally over 50% of snapps in todays NFL it's not a bad gamble here even if we do have Ras-I there still (my hope springs eternal for him).

So you're the other poster on the site who hopes we get something out of Ras-I:)

Brugler has 1 QB going in the 1st round (a guy who isn't one of the top 5 prospects in the draft). The likelihood of that happening is almost zero. Did you know that in the 1996 draft, zero QBs were selected in the 1st round? There were other years before than too, but that is the closest draft to the overemphasis of the QB position. The last 10 NFL drafts has seen an average of 3.1 QBs in the 1st round. I don't see that changing...the over/under for QBs drafted in the 1st round will probably be 3.

Brugler also has 3 interior OLmen in the 1st round. That also hasn't happened since 1996...but I don't see that as farfetched.

FWIW, I would have taken Montgomery in the Rang draft and Ansah in the Brugler draft.

Brugler has 1 QB going in the 1st round (a guy who isn't one of the top 5 prospects in the draft). The likelihood of that happening is almost zero. Did you know that in the 1996 draft, zero QBs were selected in the 1st round? There were other years before than too, but that is the closest draft to the overemphasis of the QB position. The last 10 NFL drafts has seen an average of 3.1 QBs in the 1st round. I don't see that changing...the over/under for QBs drafted in the 1st round will probably be 3.

Brugler also has 3 interior OLmen in the 1st round. That also hasn't happened since 1996...but I don't see that as farfetched.

FWIW, I would have taken Montgomery in the Rang draft and Ansah in the Brugler draft.

Agree with you. I see 3 qb's going in Round 1; Geno Smith, Matt Barkley and Tyler Wilson. I can see 3 going in the 2nd round; Glennon, Nassib and Bray. Still haven't heard from Aaron Murray. He's going to figure in there too. EJ Manuel and Landry Jones were being projected to go high in Round 1 during the pre-season. Didn't have good senior years.

ATippett56 NFL Week 17 Mock Draft Special :D

Note: Subject to change in future weeks (due to NFLDraftScout revised rankings) :eek:

1st Round - Jesse Williams, DT - Alabama or Sharrif Floyd, DT - Florida
2nd Round - Kenny Vaccaro, FS - Texas or Phillip Thomas, FS - Fresno State
3rd Round - Brian Winters, OT - Kent State or Rick Wagner, OT - Wisconsin
7th Round - Josh Johnson, CB - Purdue
7th Round - Nigel Malone, CB - Kansas State

Comments

Brennan Williams, OT - North Carolina could be a consideration as a third round selection depending on his medical situation (underwent surgery to repair a torn labrum in his left shoulder).

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/archive/1664351

2013 UDFAs (training camp fodder/potential 53 man roster sleepers)

D.J. Harper, RB - Boise State
Zac Stacy, RB - Vanderbilt
Nick Kasa, TE - Colorado
Ryan Griffin, TE - Connecticut
Keenan Davis, WR - Iowa
Chad Bumphis, WR - Mississippi State
Matt Stankiewitch, OC/OG - Penn State
Chris McDonald, OG - Michigan State
Blaize Foltz, OG - TCU
Tanner Hawkinson, OT - Kansas
Ryan Schraeder, OT - Valdosta State
Omar Hunter, NT/DT - Florida
Kapron Lewis-Moore, DE/DT - Notre Dame
Quinton Dial, DE/DT - Alabama
Jake Knott, OLB - Iowa State
Corey Broomfield, CB - Mississippi State
Devin Smith, CB - Wisconsin
Trey Wilson, CB - Vanderbilt
Brandon Bishop, FS - North Carolina State
C.J. Barnett, FS - Ohio State
Jonathan Cyprien, SS - Florida International
Rontez Miles, SS - California (PA)

Note: All 2013 UDFAs currently ranked lower than 254 by NFLDraftScout

2013 New England Patriots training camp - offensive player distribution:

QB - 3
HB - 6
FB - 3
TE - 8
WR - 9
OL - 15

Last edited:
ATippett56 NFL Week 17 Mock Draft Special :D

Note: Subject to change in future weeks (due to NFLDraftScout revised rankings) :eek:

1st Round - Jesse Williams, DT - Alabama or Sharrif Floyd, DT - Florida
2nd Round - Kenny Vaccaro, FS - Texas or Phillip Thomas, FS - Fresno State
3rd Round - Brian Winters, OT - Kent State or Rick Wagner, OT - Wisconsin
7th Round - Josh Johnson, CB - Purdue
7th Round - Nigel Malone, CB - Kansas State

Nice. I turned on Purdue to watch Kawann Short and came away more impressed by Johnson.

Nice. I turned on Purdue to watch Kawann Short and came away more impressed by Johnson.
Josh Johnson, CB, Purdue, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

While not the most technically-sound player, he plays fast and aggressive with adequate size, not shying away from getting his hands dirty. Johnson has done a nice job developing his instincts and pass awareness, showing his smarts on-and-off the field (earned Big Ten All-Academic honors in the classroom the past two seasons).

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back