PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

* Ye Olde 2013 Mock Draft Thread!! *

If that's their plan for Hightower, then I love it.

I have very small complaints about each player, but nothing significant.

Re. McCoil, COME ON MAAAAANNNN! I've posted about him several times. He's a fantastic player.

If that's their plan for Hightower, then I love it.

I have very small complaints about each player, but nothing significant.

Re. McCoil, COME ON MAAAAANNNN! I've posted about him several times. He's a fantastic player.

My bad, and no disrespect intended re McCoil - good to know that 2 people I respect are high on McCoil. That makes me doubly interested in him. I haven't watched him myself.

I wanted to put Anthony Barr out there. I haven't mentioned him before because I has assumed he would be returning, but I hear that there's a decent chance he comes out. Mel Kiper has been playing him up and currently has him up to #10 on his big board (one spot behind Alec Ogletree). Others think that Barr needs to go back to school and refine his game, and that he could be a top 10 pick next year similar to Von Miller in 2011. He's a very athletic kid with terrific agility for his height, and very fluid in space as well as quick off the snap. Going with someone like Ogletree or Barr and then getting someone like Ra'Shede Hageman who could play inside or out would give the Pats a lot of flexibility:

- "Big" 4-3: Hageman-Wilfork-Love-Jones at DL with Hightower-Spikes-Mayo at LB
- "Quick" 4-3: Hightower-Wilfork-Hagement-Jones at DL with Spikes-Mayo-Barr/Ogletree at LB

I would be very happy with Barr, Ogletree or Ziggy Ansah at the 32 spot in that mock.

Another guy to consider around where I have Ra'Shede Hageman is Missouri Southern DT Brandon Williams. 6'3" 325#, very athletic. Supposedly runs around a 4.9 40. Played NT this year but was 2nd on the team with 68 tackles, 16.5 TFL and 8.5 sacks as the nose tackle, and was second in the MIAA in forced fumbles. He did well enough to get a Senior Bowl invitation, and it will be interesting to see how he does against better competition. He's a big body, but unless his stats are purely the result of going up against inferior talent, he may be athletic and quick enough to penetrate and/or play outside.

My bad, and no disrespect intended re McCoil - good to know that 2 people I respect are high on McCoil. That makes me doubly interested in him. I haven't watched him myself.

I've seen a youtube of him last year and 3 complete games this year. I was very impressed.

Another guy to consider around where I have Ra'Shede Hageman is Missouri Southern DT Brandon Williams. 6'3" 325#, very athletic. Supposedly runs around a 4.9 40. Played NT this year but was 2nd on the team with 68 tackles, 16.5 TFL and 8.5 sacks as the nose tackle, and was second in the MIAA in forced fumbles. He did well enough to get a Senior Bowl invitation, and it will be interesting to see how he does against better competition. He's a big body, but unless his stats are purely the result of going up against inferior talent, he may be athletic and quick enough to penetrate and/or play outside.

Intriguing

Brandon Williams - Drive To Make It - YouTube

Thanks for posting that. He's an interesting kid, worth keeping an eye on at the Senior Bowl and Combine.

There is some game film of him of him on Youtube, but the quality is poor.

1 trade for 2nd and future 1st
2 Tank Carradine, DE, FSU
2 Jelani Jenkins, OLB, Florida
3 trade for 4th and 7th
4 Markus Wheaton, WR, Oregon State
7 Zach Boren, FB/LB, Ohio State
7 Dexter McCoil, S, Tulsa
7 Tyrann Mathieu, CB, formerly of LSU

Resign Talib so the secondary is Talib and Dennard at CB, Mathieu in the slot, and McCourty, Wilson, McCoil, Gregory, Ebner safety rotation. Keep Dowling resign Cole.

3 trade for 4th and 7th

Resign Talib so the secondary is Talib and Dennard at CB, Mathieu in the slot, and McCourty, Wilson, McCoil, Gregory, Ebner safety rotation. Keep Dowling resign Cole.

I think it's fair to say that BB will trade a late 1st for a 2nd + a 1st the following year just about any chance he gets. I don't see many more of those chances coming around, but I'll be thrilled if they do. And getting Markus Wheaton in the 4th would be a coup.

Like the Carradine, Wheaton, Jenkins and McCoil picks.

3 trade for 4th and 7th

carradine in the 2nd maybe, if he didn't tear his acl. WIth a torn ACL value would be about a 5th round pick.

3 trade for 4th and 7th

Yes please! You didn't address the O line though?

Alright, here's the first of many to come. No trades mainly due to the fact that i have a hard time drawing up any reasonable ones in my mind.

1. Logan Ryan, CB, Rutgers. He may not be ranked that high now but come April this will be about right. We may not need him considering we may resign talib and possibly get something from ras-i but i couldn't look past his consistently tight coverage.

2. Cobi Hamilton, WR, Arkansas. Big receiver that has pretty good quickness. There are many receivers that i really like, some even received first round considerations in this mock, but hamilton seemed like pretty good value at this spot. I wanted a receiver that had size and speed so i gave a lot of thought to da rick rogers as well but his perceived character flags did him in.

3. Sean Porter, LB, Texas A&M. I believe he is the coverage lb I have coveted for years. Not quite as good as past binkies such as sean weatherspoon and lavonte david, but he'll do. He is very athletic and I have even seen him on multiple occasions effectively cover the slot.

7. Baker Steinkuhler, DT, Nebraska. Offers very little pass rush but is an active run defender. I like that he is the one that often tackles the running back and not the lbs behind him. Im hoping that we could fatten him up and turn him into something similar to randy starks.

7. Elvis Fisher, OT, Mizz. A developmental OT. He can't stay healthy and this late in the draft im just trying to find anyone that could make the squad. I could easily go for one of those former tight ends that this board is so good at identifying instead.

An Alternative draft would have us going quality over quantity and using our picks for 2 players. Jonathan Hankins and Justin Hunter. Ideally, they would turn into wilfork and aj green.

At some point i will borrow someones trade downs and come up with something that feature quantity over quality instead. Hope you guys like.

Just for fun. No comp picks for now. Assume Pats pick 32. Most picks are loosely based on current NFL DraftScout rankings, with some adjustment for projection.

32. Anthony Barr*, OLB, UCLA. 6'4" 238#. Not currently ranked for 2013 by NFL DraftScout.

628x471.jpg

Super Beast!
A converted running back in his first year at OLB, Barr has exploded, leading the Pac 10 with 13.5 sacks this year. He has the speed and footwork to cover RBs and TEs out of the backfield, and would fit 2 tremendous needs: a stud pass rusher in the Von Miller mode, and a coverage LB. His 6'4" height also gives him an edge over most coverage LBs. Rob Rang notes: "Other than BYU's Ansah, there may not be a player in the country whose NFL draft stock has ascended as sharply this season as Barr's." He would allow the Pats to move Dont'a Hightower up to LDE opposite Chandler Jones.

*** Trade: Pats trade #62 (284 points) for 3rd and 4th round picks. For now I'll call it something like #80 and #105 (274 points).

80. Markus Wheaton, WR, Oregon St. 6'0" 184#. Currently NFL DraftScout #134.

Markus+Wheaton+Oregon+State+v+UCLA+IYpYyWHi2pXl.jpg

Stud Horse!
Underrated receiver with great speed and seperation that makes him a legitimate outside and deep threat, but able to run the full route tree and go over the middle. Nice hands. Solid overall receiver. Has drawn comparisons to Mike Wallace, but a bit less explosive and a more complete and disciplined receiver.

94. Brian Winters, OL, Kent St. 6'5" 310#. Current NFL DraftScout #101.

hi-res-6654478_crop_650.jpg

Sleeper Stud Horse!
Winter is a tough, athletic lineman currently playing tackle who most likely projects to guard in the NFL. Very physical, plays with a mean streak, and manhandles opposing defensive linemen. Durable. He fits nicely into the Matt Light/Logan Mankins kind of blue collar mold, and he could be a long term successor to Mankins.

105. Ra'Shede Hageman, DT/DE, Minnesota. 6'6" 301#. Currently not ranked for 2013 by NFL DraftScout.

unlv2_t653.JPG

Sleeper Stud Horse!
Hageman is a former basketball player and TE turned DE and then DT, who has thrived in his first year as a starter with 6.5 TFL and 5 sacks. He reportedly runs a 4.78 40 and has a 35" vertical. He has JJ Watt kind of athleticism, with a frame that could bulk up into the Michael Brockers range if desired, allowing him to project either outside or inside.

7a. Reid Flagel, OT, Ohio St. 6'8" 310#. Currently NFL DraftScout #395.

fragel620.jpg

Sleeper!
A former TE with terrific athletic ability, Flagel was converted to RT this year and has performed well for the undefeated Bcukeyes. BB will no doubt have the lowdown on him from Mike Vrabel and Urban Meyer. The fact that he has only played for one year, has been limited to RT, and will not get to play in a bowl game should keep him under the radar.

7b. Dexter McCoil, S, Tulsa. 6'4" 222#. Currently NFL DraftScout #322.

333712140-17115816.jpg

Sleeper!
I'm going almost entirely based on McKenzie's judgment here. But the idea of picking up a 6'4" 222# safety with fluid coverage skills to add to the existing mix in place of Pat Chung, in addition to a 6'4" 238# LB with fluid coverage skills, would add an enormous dimension to the Pats' defense in terms of the ability to cover TE's and big WRs. According to McKenzie this kid has long arms, 4.5 speed, fluid hips, and good instincts, processing speed, and leadership ability. That's a darn good start on a 7th round DB pick.

Interesting mock.

1. Anthony Barr. Interesting to see him finally being mocked. I don't think he'll declare and if he does, I could see him getting Jarvis Jones type hype (the twitter guys I follow absolutely love him). I actually like Kyle Van Noy of BYU as a better Pats fit. He's a very good pass rusher, is very good in coverage and stands up pretty well against the run. He's only a junior, but in your scenario of moving Hightower up front (a good idea), I would love Van Noy as SLB.

2. Markus Wheaton: Have no need to comment on this pick. My favourite receiver in the draft.

3. Brian Winters: Firmly entrenched as my second favourite OG prospect behind Cooper. Excellent pick.

4. Ra'Shede Hageman: Too raw for my likings but I can see why you like him. I think we just differ a little philosophically in how much we like high upside projects.

5. Reid Fragel: Just written a brief report on him in the prospect thread. Suffice to say, I'm very impressed. He's not plug and play, but would be an excellent RT within a year.

6. Dexter McCoil: I'll always default to Merrill and who he likes because we tend to like the same prospects. I haven't seen McCoil, but I have to confess, Mackenzie's report scared me a little. Sound's like McCoil is a big risk at giving up big plays and that's the last thing we need on the Pats defense. But if Mackenzie and Merrill like him, I'll default to their approval.

The Wheaton, Winters, Fragel picks make this mock a winner. Barr, Hageman and McCoil picks are risks I'd be fairly happy with come draft time so all in all a good mock.

6. Dexter McCoil: I'll always default to Merrill and who he likes because we tend to like the same prospects. I haven't seen McCoil, but I have to confess, Mackenzie's report scared me a little. Sound's like McCoil is a big risk at giving up big plays and that's the last thing we need on the Pats defense. But if Mackenzie and Merrill like him, I'll default to their approval.

I haven't read Mackenzie's report, but I don't feel that way. That he gambles. I feel he plays conservative against the run, and conservative against the pass until he sees an opportunity to make a big play. When he sees an opportunity he'll go for it like Ed Reed. It's ok though. He has good instincts. He's also huge. He looks similarly sized to George Iloka.

Dexter McCoil v BYU (2011)

Dexter MCcoil vs BYU 2011 - YouTube

Looks good although he's so skinny. Nice range.

But Cody Hoffman, BYU WR, #2. Wow!!

I think that's the one I watched. When watching 2012 tape the first thing I noticed was how much he improved from that video.

I haven't read Mackenzie's report, but I don't feel that way. That he gambles. I feel he plays conservative against the run, and conservative against the pass until he sees an opportunity to make a big play. When he sees an opportunity he'll go for it like Ed Reed. It's ok though. He has good instincts. He's also huge. He looks similarly sized to George Iloka.

I think that's the one I watched. When watching 2012 tape the first thing I noticed was how much he improved from that video.

Unfortunately I can't get hold of any 2012 tape. Just downloading last years bowl game. He's certainly very interesting and there was a lot to like. One thing I noticed was that there were times when he looked as though he was about to make a Barron type play (ie. Coming up from deep to plug a hole) but he seemed hesitant to come right up to the LOS and ends up making the tackle 4 or 5 yards deep. Don't know whether that's scheme, coaching or lack of confidence/instincts. Based on that one video, he's got everything needed to dominate but doesn't quite do so. As you say, maybe that's just because it's last years tape. Hope to see something from this year.

He's certainly much better than where he's being ranked right now.

No way is Brian Winters going to be there at pick 94. He is a high 2nd rounder right now and probably going in round 1 come April.

Unfortunately I can't get hold of any 2012 tape. Just downloading last years bowl game. He's certainly very interesting and there was a lot to like. One thing I noticed was that there were times when he looked as though he was about to make a Barron type play (ie. Coming up from deep to plug a hole) but he seemed hesitant to come right up to the LOS and ends up making the tackle 4 or 5 yards deep. Don't know whether that's scheme, coaching or lack of confidence/instincts. Based on that one video, he's got everything needed to dominate but doesn't quite do so. As you say, maybe that's just because it's last years tape. Hope to see something from this year.

He's certainly much better than where he's being ranked right now.

Not even vs Arkansas? I figure that's kind of a big game. Maybe a Tyler Wilson video vs Tulsa is out there. Tulsa still has a bowl game left anyway. Football Schedule

Haha Manx, you can't compare every safety to Barron plugging the run or you're always going to be disappointed. But what you said, that is what I've seen too. He prefers to play containment, take little risk, and let players closer to the play make the tackle rather than try to make the big play that is more risky. Bend but don't break in a way. However, lack of confidence or instincts isn't part of it, at least not in 2012. When it's his turn to come up and make the big hit or tackle he does it. So I don't look at as a negative.

Here are two informative posts I made about McCoil
http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...2013-prospect-thread-page123.html#post3240344
http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...2013-prospect-thread-page125.html#post3241648

No way is Brian Winters going to be there at pick 94. He is a high 2nd rounder right now and probably going in round 1 come April.

It's quite possible. But Kent St. products going 1st round don't happen very often, and there are only so many guards - and even linemen - who are likely to go in the 1st round. Chance Warmack, Jonathan Cooper, Dallas Thomas, Barrett Jones. If Brian Winters pushes any of those guys down, so be it.

Interesting mock.

1. Anthony Barr. Interesting to see him finally being mocked. I don't think he'll declare and if he does, I could see him getting Jarvis Jones type hype (the twitter guys I follow absolutely love him). I actually like Kyle Van Noy of BYU as a better Pats fit. He's a very good pass rusher, is very good in coverage and stands up pretty well against the run. He's only a junior, but in your scenario of moving Hightower up front (a good idea), I would love Van Noy as SLB.

As I mentioned above, I hadn't mocked - or even really discussed - Barr before because I thought he would return to school. Same with Van Noy. I hear rumors that Barr may declare this year. He could well get top 20 consideration because of his pass rushing ability, but he is somewhat raw technically, and I hear anything from top 15 to round 2-3, so for now I kept him within range. He'd be better off going back to school IMHO. Ndamukong Suh and Von Miller were both considered late 1st round picks as juniors (and were discussed as possible Pats picks) before going back to school and becoming the #2 picks in their respective drafts after dominant senior seasons.

Kyle Van Noy is a very good and interesting prospect. I like him a lot. He's currently #38 on Rob Rang's top 50 list, 7 spots behind Barr, and 11 behind Ziggy Ansah. He's not quite as explosive a pass rusher as Barr is, but is still quite good and may be more rounded overall.

Again, the main purpose of the mock was to put some new names out and kick some ideas around. I'm not wedded to anyone.

Last edited:
Mayo, what do you think of my first attempt on page 37?

I said it before and i keep thinking that another 1st in 2014 would be awesome. A much better class.

Im not sure i like the idea of Hightower moving up to DE, as he ever played there in college? We do need a LB that cover the field.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back