PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WR: Returning Punts; and Game Day Active

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Last year, we had one of our top 2 WR's return almost all the punts, even though he had a considerable injury history and was supposedly on a snap count.

I don't see Belichick changing his philosophy. As always, we have a late round WR in Berrios who is likely to excite the fans, and then make the Practice Squad.
===========
I would expect us to see an active WR corp of Edelman, Hogan, Matthews and Patterson with a backup inactive. Of course, Matthews could be the backup, with Mitchell, Britt or Dorsett as the active player.

We should remember that the #4 and the #5 receiver TOTAL about one catch a game. The #5 inactive receiver is great for game plan rotation and in case of injury.

With the change in KR rules, Patterson should get us lost of yards, and lots more than someone else retuning kicks. After all, Patterson is the best kick returner in the NFL.

I like Berrios for exactly the reason of catching punts and keeping Edelman the hell away from it. He's my binky right now and will probably end up on the practice squad like you say lol.

Agree that the new rules could help Patterson but I just see a whole lot more kicking out of the end zone.

Last year, we had one of our top 2 WR's return almost all the punts, even though he had a considerable injury history and was supposedly on a snap count.

I don't see Belichick changing his philosophy. As always, we have a late round WR in Berrios who is likely to excite the fans, and then make the Practice Squad.

Most of those WRs didn't return punts, and Berrios is also a willing blocker in the run game. He has a leg up compared to most of those late-round WRs.

For this reason I have Cherrios making the team.

Jules is there to teach the Padwan the ways of The Force.

We might see Jules handle the more situationally challenging punts and Cherrios handle the ones where the O is backed inside the 30.

PR could come from a DB (Jones) as well. Britt so far keeps getting noticed in a positive way. Dorsett has a steep climb but could challenge if he can return punts (never done it). Berrios to PS. Until MM is a regular on the field, this is what I've got:

JE11
Hogan
Britt
Matthews
Patterson (KR)

I'm rooting for #24, Cyrus Jones, to have a breakout season with PR, KR, and the occasional rotation into the defense.

PR could come from a DB (Jones) as well. Britt so far keeps getting noticed in a positive way. Dorsett has a steep climb but could challenge if he can return punts (never done it). Berrios to PS. Until MM is a regular on the field, this is what I've got:

JE11
Hogan
Britt
Matthews
Patterson (KR)

I tend to agree but I would flip Britt and Matthews have a healthy Mitchell ahead of one or both.

JE11
Hogan
Britt
Matthews
Patterson (KR)
I think they are going to use Toast Patterson more than we think.

I'm rooting for #24, Cyrus Jones, to have a breakout season with PR, KR, and the occasional rotation into the defense.
At this point he should be able to earn significant playing tome on defense. Whether he will is a different story.

I think that Patterson is good enough to be our #5 wide receiver, a position that calls for a catch every 3 games, or even our #4 receiver who catches one ball a game.

To me, our healthiest top 3 will get almost all the WR receptions. Our #4 is Patterson. IMO, we don't need another WR on the 53, although we certainly could keep one as a backup or as a PR.

Disappointed that Dorsett has not been returning punts during OTAs. Don't know what advice his reps are giving him, but if that were me I would take any assignment available, including PR, to ensure that I would not be among the hundreds of unemployed come cut-down day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes