PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wow: Bob Lobel out at WBZ, MacMullan out at Globe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Wow: Bob Lobel out at WBZ

Is there anyone here who has had a less than positive experience with Lobel? I did years back ( while he was working - off camera). I'm just curious if it was an isolated incident or if he's been an ass to other people. Lynch was as nice as can be off camera though.

He waved at me when I was a young boy at Fenway before a game.

I've always liked him.

I'll miss Lobel; it was always a hoot to see how much in the bag he'd be on Fifth Qtr. Aside from times he totally lost it I was always entertained by his hosting. The other BZ and Globe losahs will not be missed.

Burton is an OK guy, a bit of a lightweight but servicable. Maybe Zo will host 5th Qtr.

With all due respect to Lobel, the use of the word "icon" seems a bit much to me...

There's a major evolution of ALL news sources in process - and unfortunately that's going to have an adverse impact on REAL news as well. Major newspapers aren't able to compete for the same advertising dollars as they were even 20 years ago. Which means good investigative reporters will be let go - which means the quality of news will drop.
This is exactly why Lobel and McMullen were let go. How many posters still subscribe to the Globe, the Herald? I get Sports Illustrated. Have you noticed how thin it is? There is no advertising!. Why do you think Micheal Silver jumped the SI ship to Yahoo?
It is a scary word out there. My daughter is a senior and starting college next year. My fatherly advise (particularly given it's her parents $$$$) is to go into a field that that she enjoys but not one that will be outsourced and/or become obsolete in the next 20 years. Unfortunately, that may include the print and several forms or the electronic media.

Burton is amateur hour. I don't know how anyone could say he is even average.

Good. Couldn't stand either of them. If only they got CHB, Felger, Ryan, and
Thomase in the dip**** sportsperson purge my day would have been complete.

Amazing the people that get canned, and TomAASe is still around. Its almost Alice in Wonderland like.

Wow, MacMullan gets axed but CHB and Bob Ryan are still there? What a joke. Shaugnessy has cost the Globe access to the Sox and Ryan is so out of touch with the NBA right now (ie, his absurd article at the start of the season about the C's bench and benches around the NBA), how the hell these guys have jobs is beyond me. MacMullan is a pretty decent writer and still knows the game of basketball at the very least.

whhhhattt??? Shaughnessy is Larry Lucchino, Tom Werner and John Henry's mouthpiece. It's Schilling and Epstein that have an issue with him. Shaughnessy is the biggest puke in the Boston media - and that includes that dink, Tomasse. Shaughnessy created the "curse of the bambino" and made huge bucks by promoting bullsh*t. He hates football and consistently references baseball in his football columns - he's controversial by design - and has Red Sox ownership covering his ugly azz. I can't stand the guy.

I think Ryan is alright and knows far more than you give him credit for.

I think McMullen was an excellent writer.

McMullan didn't bother me aside from her incesant bashing of Belichick during and after the 2006-2007 playoffs.

Last edited:
threads about a sprotscaster and writer what has this forum become

Last edited:
I'm rather surprised with the news about MacMullan. Even though she was tough on BB, she was a very good writer in my opinion. Didn't play homer and didn't play hater, delivering news we sometimes didn't want to hear without pandering for cheap shock value nonsense (i.e, Tomasse-style) fiction.

Lobel should have been transitioned to radio years ago. Television is a visual medium, which by definition means bring in a younger and better looking talking head.

Besides, he can drink all he wants on the radio and the camera will never be there to record it.

There's a major evolution of ALL news sources in process - and unfortunately that's going to have an adverse impact on REAL news as well. Major newspapers aren't able to compete for the same advertising dollars as they were even 20 years ago. Which means good investigative reporters will be let go - which means the quality of news will drop.
This is exactly why Lobel and McMullen were let go. How many posters still subscribe to the Globe, the Herald? I get Sports Illustrated. Have you noticed how thin it is? There is no advertising!. Why do you think Micheal Silver jumped the SI ship to Yahoo?
It is a scary word out there. My daughter is a senior and starting college next year. My fatherly advise (particularly given it's her parents $$$$) is to go into a field that that she enjoys but not one that will be outsourced and/or become obsolete in the next 20 years. Unfortunately, that may include the print and several forms or the electronic media.

You said a mouthfull. I publish a music magazine for a living and things have gone south big time just in the last year. It's a damn shame, because GOOD journalism is suffering as a result. Opinion-saturated blogs and drive-by web sites are not substitutes for good writing and objective insight. It's like we're rushing headlong into an era where the written word counts for less and less.

Then perhaps she should become interested in real estate....:)

does anyone remember the SB post game show after they beat the Panthers when Lobel tried to kiss Adam Vinatieri's wife. VERY AWKWARD moment. I have it on tape, and i always get a laugh.

While he is not dead...we might as well eulogize him anyhway....

Anyone remember one of the first talk shows that actually spent a lot of time on the Patriots??

Bell & Bell - Bob Lobell & Upton Bell ( Bert Bell's son and former Patriot GM)??

Dam straight I do.

I and my brother also listened to the Sunday Night Sports Huddle with Eddie Andelman, Jim McCarthy and Mark Witkin. We esp. dug the opening "news" segment, replete with background carnival music. They always talked Patriots, because Andelman was part-owner of the now-defunct Foxborough (harness) Raceway, right next to Schaefer Stadium, so he and the Sullivans were always at loggerheads. Too bad they never liked to talk about the Bruins unless they were ridiculing them, esp. Andelman. What's ironic is that Witkin eventually became Bruins defenseman Don Sweeney's agent.

Heck, I used to listen to Guy Maniella's Calling All Sports on WBZ-AM (weekdays from 6-8 PM, IIRC). That show was truly groundbreaking, because that might have been one of the first sports-talk radio programs in New England, if not the nation.

First and foremost you're correct, she needs to get some enjoyment out of her field. Hopefully, the sciences are an option, too rarely so for girls. For example, the medical fields are unlikely to be as impacted by outsourcing as some other fields.

I have little sympathy for all the whining and rending or garments over the demise of journalism. Throughout the 20th century we listened to professional journalists proclaim their high moral ground. The internet revealed the inherent biases (always heatedly denied) and also provided choices where consumers of the word could find alternative sources that did not force a uniform point of view upon them daily. The 60s move to 'agenda journalism' coupled with the web doomed the print and broadcast media oligopolies. Good riddance.

Last edited:

Dam straight I do.

I and my brother also listened to the Sunday Night Sports Huddle with Eddie Andelman, Jim McCarthy and Mark Witkin. We esp. dug the opening "news" segment, replete with background carnival music. They always talked Patriots, because Andelman was part-owner of the now-defunct Foxborough (harness) Raceway, right next to Schaefer Stadium, so he and the Sullivans were always at loggerheads. Too bad they never liked to talk about the Bruins unless they were ridiculing them, esp. Andelman. What's ironic is that Witkin eventually became Bruins defenseman Don Sweeney's agent.

Heck, I used to listen to Guy Maniella's Calling All Sports on WBZ-AM (weekdays from 6-8 PM, IIRC). That show was truly groundbreaking, because that might have been one of the first sports-talk radio programs in New England, if not the nation.

Went to sleep with the old. pocket sized transistor under pillow tuned into Guy and a guy from Philly - Steve Fredericks??

Also would dial up WMEX and listen to some group named Beatles for a few new hit sings on something called a British invasion??

Must have been all of about 9 or some single number there.

Wow...back in the days before moving pictures were around too......ACK.

Last edited:

Now, if only the Globe will fire Shank Shaughnessy....

*crosses fingers*

Last edited:

Shank is forever protected by the MLB establishment at the Globe

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft