PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wow: Bob Lobel out at WBZ, MacMullan out at Globe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Wow: Bob Lobel out at WBZ

Went to sleep with the old. pocket sized transistor under pillow tuned into Guy and a guy from Philly - Steve Fredericks??

Also would dial up WMEX and listen to some group named Beatles for a few new hit sings on something called a British invasion??

Must have been all of about 9 or some single number there.

Wow...back in the days before moving pictures were around too......ACK.

The name of Steve Fredricks rings a bell...was he also a DJ?

Speaking of DJs, besides listening to Rock and Roll on WMEX-AM as spun by Johnny Dark, Bud Ballou and John H. Garabedian, I also tuned in to WRKO-AM and Dale Dorman. These were the days before I owned an FM receiver and could thereafter listen to WBZ-FM and the recently (at that time) re-formatted WBCN.

Speaking of DJs, besides listening to Rock and Roll on WMEX-AM as spun by Johnny Dark, Bud Ballou and John H. Garabedian, I also tuned in to WRKO-AM and Dale Dorman. These were the days before I owned an FM receiver and could thereafter listen to WBZ-FM and the recently (at that time) re-formatted WBCN.

I do remember all those names, they were on 1510 WMEX & 680 WRKO, just before WBCN came into play on the new FM band, which played music in STEREO!! 1030 WBZ had the "calling all sports" shows.

I forget what station initially carried the Sunday night Sports huddle - I can remember my Dad getting his sports "scoops" from that show - much as we all do today from EEI & Patsfans.com.

You forgot one....ready now...Arnie WOO WOO Ginsburg!!

Steve was both, he started in sports and was part of Group W I think and has some airplay here in Boston for a year or so, but he was a Philly guy all the way.

Loved Dale Dorman on RKO!!! We used to drive practically every weekend from Randolph, MA to Hampton Beach (1 1/2 hrs. each way) and I would beg my Dad to put on RKO the whole way (hated the South Station Tunnel - no signal!!). He would compromise and put it on either up or back, but he couldn't stand "that stuff" both ways! I can still sing every word to every song from the 70's - now get my kicks on the 70's on 7 XM radio. I also loved the Kasey Kasem American Top 40 show. Ah the good old days!

Loved Dale Dorman on RKO!!! We used to drive practically every weekend from Randolph, MA to Hampton Beach (1 1/2 hrs. each way) and I would beg my Dad to put on RKO the whole way (hated the South Station Tunnel - no signal!!). He would compromise and put it on either up or back, but he couldn't stand "that stuff" both ways! I can still sing every word to every song from the 70's - now get my kicks on the 70's on 7 XM radio. I also loved the Kasey Kasem American Top 40 show. Ah the good old days!

68 - WRKO! Hitline!

I liked Lobel,best of luck to him.

McMullan looked like a transvestite - see yah

Lobel looks like a granpa on the Ch 4 set - buh bye....

Dam straight I do.

I and my brother also listened to the Sunday Night Sports Huddle with Eddie Andelman, Jim McCarthy and Mark Witkin. We esp. dug the opening "news" segment, replete with background carnival music. They always talked Patriots, because Andelman was part-owner of the now-defunct Foxborough (harness) Raceway, right next to Schaefer Stadium, so he and the Sullivans were always at loggerheads. Too bad they never liked to talk about the Bruins unless they were ridiculing them, esp. Andelman. What's ironic is that Witkin eventually became Bruins defenseman Don Sweeney's agent.

Heck, I used to listen to Guy Maniella's Calling All Sports on WBZ-AM (weekdays from 6-8 PM, IIRC). That show was truly groundbreaking, because that might have been one of the first sports-talk radio programs in New England, if not the nation.

I'll never forget the guys on the Sports Huddle referring to Lou Gorman (former sox GM) as Rumplestiltskin to avoid lawsuits. Back then, folks actually had things of value to say; no one was auditioning for a gig somewhere in the "sports media." You had a share of, shall we say, impaired callers, but the atmosphere was actually fun. Sometimes, you could glean some knowledge that the Sports Machine, TWIB, or the odd NFL talkshow didn't give you. Now it's just a bunch of I-think-you-think-so-let's-talk-over-each-other nonsense.

Right now, the best places to get sports info are the crawls at the bottom of ESPN and NFL Network broadcasts.

I haven't lived in the Boston market for a while, but I first moved to the area in the mid-70's. Lobel became a staple of the sports airwaves shortly thereafter and i always liked listening to him. from OP comments, i gather he'd lost a bit off the old fastball in the last few years, but count me as someone with fond memories of him over the years.

anyone remember, before Lobel, when the lineup at WBZ was Tom Ellis, Jack Kent, with **** Stockton on sports?
**** Stockton and Guy Manella did the Celtics games. When Stockton left, Len Berman became the sports guy, when he left, Roger Twibell, who now is back here in KC.

Thirty people lost their jobs at WBZ, 15% of their workforce. This is what happens when a privately owned corp. is bleeding money. Unlike the government, all Deval and company can do is raise taxes. It's a shame to see Lobel go but time marches on. Fifteen years from now there will be no local news or sports reports. All internet all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft