PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Woody Johnson Clear Cut Tampered Re: Revis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couple years back:

"the league has nailed the Lions for tampering with Chiefs players. The Lions will lose a seventh-round pick acquired from the Broncos in 2011, and the Chiefs and Lions will swap fifth-round picks."

Wouldn't it be hilarious to swap picks with the Jets in a round, select a quarterback, then that quarterback becomes the next Brady story. I don't think I could imagine a better scenario.

I doubt the Pats will get anything, but if there's is any consistency at all, the Jets will forfeit a pick.

Getting caught tampering twice in one year should mean a huge punishment. After all, the Patriots were punished the way they were in Spygate because of the memo sent out being ignored.

Jets/Patriots swap first round picks and the Jets lose a lower round pick, as well. Anything else is insufficient punishment.

Consistency requires this.

A bit much is kind of what I was hoping for.

A bit much is what the Pats suffered for Spygate, and the same two teams are involved.

Now if we swap picks with the Rats they can take satisfaction in the fact that their win yesterday made their pick worse......

Of course the Pats can return the favor by winning the Superbowl and making their own pick the last pick in the round.

Last edited:
Getting caught tampering twice in one year should mean a huge punishment. After all, the Patriots were punished the way they were in Spygate because of the memo sent out being ignored.

Jets/Patriots swap first round picks and the Jets lose a lower round pick, as well. Anything else is insufficient punishment.

Deus is right. Woody ignored the Commissioner, that requires the most severe punishment known to billionaires. Swap first rounders and take away their second and third round picks and fine Woody one million dollars, which is like a twenty to the rest of us.

Could you imagine? I would probably faint if I saw that punishment come down. But I'm not expecting anything to happen.

It would be poetic justice if they got it and a make up call for the Spygate BS. However, if the Pats kept the pick, they might have drafted John Carlson- TE from ND. I wonder if they had drafted him, would they have taken Gronk in 2010?

Maybe everything does even out? ;)

It would be poetic justice if they got it and a make up call for the Spygate BS. However, if the Pats kept the pick, they might have drafted John Carlson- TE from ND. I wonder if they had drafted him, would they have taken Gronk in 2010?

Maybe everything does even out? ;)
It would just be so sweet to take a pick from the Jesters without having to really do anything.

Except the Jets didn't receive anything for Spygate, and rightfully so. Patriots, I think based on how the tampering rules are written, would have to prove that Woody's comments had a detrimental effect on their negotiations with Revis in order to be compensated. I don't know if that is or isn't possible.

However if the Jets just lost a pick, like in the Spygate punishment, the 6th overall would be high. In the case of the Spygate punishment the first round pick was capped at the 10th if I remember correctly. If the pats picked higher than that then they would take a 2nd and 3rd instead.

I'd like to think there will be some consistency here, and this is about as blatant as it gets but I am not going to get my hopes up.

Just saw that the league is not commenting on "Sportin' " Woody Johnson's comments. I love it.

No, I would not. Why you ask? Because it's ridiculous. If this any other owner had done this (excluding AFC East owners), you would not be asking for a top ten pick. You hate the Jets, and want to see them continue to fail and by taking away a top ten pick from Woody and company, the odds of us being this bad next season increases. This is what it comes down to.
We would want a first from any team. Call it sour grapes from spy gate. Briggs was good, but no Revis. Swap of second round picks, large fine and loss of another pick seems reasonable given the niners example. Then again, woody was warned. Forfeit first, fine, swap seconds.

Except the Jets didn't receive anything for Spygate, and rightfully so. Patriots, I think based on how the tampering rules are written, would have to prove that Woody's comments had a detrimental effect on their negotiations with Revis in order to be compensated. I don't know if that is or isn't possible.

However if the Jets just lost a pick, like in the Spygate punishment, the 6th overall would be high. In the case of the Spygate punishment the first round pick was capped at the 10th if I remember correctly. If the pats picked higher than that then they would take a 2nd and 3rd instead.

I'd like to think there will be some consistency here, and this is about as blatant as it gets but I am not going to get my hopes up.

This is tampering, not spygate. It's not a 1:1 situation. When teams have been punished for tampering, the injured team has received compensation.

Swap Patriots/Jets firsts
Take a lower round pick from the Jets

It's the only 'fair' punishment

This is tampering, not spygate. It's not a 1:1 situation. When teams have been punished for tampering, the injured team has received compensation.

No team that has received compensation for player tampering to the extent you are suggesting. I would love it to happen but don't think its realistic. In order for any compensation to come to the Patriots we may actually have to wait and see if how free agency plays out. I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets where hit with a fine and low round draft pick penalty now and only after the results of Free Agency are the Patriots awarded compensation, if any.

No team that has received compensation for player tampering to the extent you are suggesting.

No team had been punished to the extent the Patriots were.

I would love it to happen but don't think its realistic. In order for any compensation to come to the Patriots we may actually have to wait and see if how free agency plays out. I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets where hit with a fine and low round draft pick penalty now and only after the results of Free Agency are the Patriots awarded compensation, if any.

I didn't say my punishment was realistic. This is Roger Goodell we're talking about, so realistic is completely irrelevant. That clown could decide that it's the Patriots that need to be punished.

However, my proposed punishment would be appropriate, under the circumstances.

Wow, Deus has never been more right.

Woody is not stupid and Roger Goodell is not of good character.

The outcome of this should be interesting to say the least.

Not expecting the Pats to receive any draft pick compensation. I think the league will heavily fine Woody and possibly take away a (mid round) pick and forbid them from signing Revis.

The real question is who the Patriots take with the jets first rounder?

What is it, #6?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back