Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Should women be more encouraged to like football?

• I'd love to see more women get into becoming football fans

Votes: 73 62.9%
  • Football is a "guy thing" and I like it that way

Votes: 15 12.9%
  • I'm a woman and I love football

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I'm a woman and I'd like football if I could understand it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Women have baseball, why do they need football?

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I'm gay/lesbian/bisexual/hermaphrodite and find this poll irrelevant

Votes: 5 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
First, let me congradulate tunescribe for ferretting out some of our disguised female members! Excellent ploy!:D

I'm all for female fans. And for new female (and male) fans, its fine to not understand the game. That will come with time. Loyalty, however, is a must. These are pretty heady times for Pats fans. But it will not last forever. Picture yourself as a Jests or dooFins fan right now. It will happen to us, too, someday (hopefully not for a long long time). Stay loyal.

Football's a lot harder to understand than baseball - I know lots of women who are VERY knowledgable about football and think it's very cool - and much more impessive than women following baseball

As I told my wife, football is like violent chess - which really does illustrate the finesse of strategy and playcalling

Like chess - watching it and understanding the strategy that's going on requires someone with a high degree of intelligence

While I realize there's a degree of nuance to pitching and defensive adjustments in baseball, ultimately it's a very simple game as they say... you throw the ball, you hit the ball, you catch the ball

nhpatsfan said:
I do have a jersey - my home Bruschi that he signed at TC. And assorted t-shirts, sweatshirts, hats, jewelry - even a damn scrunchie. I don't own anything (football related!) that is pink.

Ugh, the pink! Drives me crazy trying to find women's Pats gear in team colors. I want something that actually looks good on a shape a little different from Vince Wilfork's, but I still want to look like a Pats fan, not a sparkle-puff fairy. :rolleyes:

And I have to say, I'm loving this thread. I do feel very much in a minority at times, not in terms of my passion, but in terms of my knowlege. I'll still knock the socks off the unsuspecting men who strike of a football conversation with me, but compared to many on this board I'm a damn rookie~!

This board is soooo far from the average football fan! There's no question that I miss a lot of the X-and-O insight because I've never lined up on the field. But if I'm at a party watching a game with friends or neighbors, I have to bite my tongue to not keep correcting people or peppering them with facts they just don't care about. And those folks are good, solid longtime Pats fans. They watch the games, wear their colors, cheer hard. But normal football fans don't, say, sweat the battle for backup right tackle, let alone the conditions of Santonio Holmes' 3rd year of PS eligibility.

p.s. I'm going to bet that Joe Buck and Bob Costas haven't played a lot of linebacker either.

This board is soooo far from the average football fan! There's no question that I miss a lot of the X-and-O insight because I've never lined up on the field. But if I'm at a party watching a game with friends or neighbors, I have to bite my tongue to not keep correcting people or peppering them with facts they just don't care about. And those folks are good, solid longtime Pats fans. They watch the games, wear their colors, cheer hard. But normal football fans don't, say, sweat the battle for backup right tackle, let alone the conditions of Santonio Holmes' 3rd year of PS eligibility.

This is one of the very few boards with a real strong female contingent. For Jets fans, JetNation might be close, but I'm not sure I'd call it equal. Either way, it's unique to football messageboards,* and it shouldn't be. This sort of thing works better when it isn't unisex.

* I'm not including Raiders' boards, because goth transvestites shouldn't count.

I own nothing in pink. That stuff is horrifying. I have a regular Pats cap and three Pats sweatshirts, including The Sweatshirt. All in men's sizes. I like my sweatshirts roomy and comfortable.

They now apparently sell The Sweatshirt in a women's cut, whatever that means. I find that weird. It's a sweatshirt....you're not supposed to go clubbing in them. Plus, the women's sizes at the ProShop suck ass. They run so small it's a serious ego bruising to order something that won't be better suited as a hand puppet.

I think women should get into Football more so that US men can watch the game without worrying if they are getting attention on Gameday, etc... I'm married and my wife says im driving her crazy with my Patsfanhood, so I'm forced to do Patsfan day only on Fridays to Sundays. HA What a good husband am i! :(

See now, it's all about comparison shopping, reading ingredients and trying to find a bargain. That QB from dinky Idaho State? Look under the label and you find a tall, strong, smart blue-chip prospect who was named the starter at Michigan before an injury sent him to the clearance aisle. The speedy Ohio State WR who made all those highlight-reel catches? Overpriced. You do better picking those up second-hand. :)

Well I prefer to do my shopping at the women's softball team. At my age it really doesn't matter which one. BTW...I just picked Ohio State out of the air.

I like this thread. In my experience, I have found that the learning curve in most topics is much steeper with women than men. During the summers, I am a partime saltwater flyfishing guide. When a couple with equal skill levels fish with me, the girl always outfishes the guy (the trash talk is PRICELESS!). I find that in general women tend to be far more attentive and willing to absorb information than men.

I say this because the prominent women in my life have taught themselves the game. My mom got into football because it was what I was passionate about as a kid. When I became obsessed with the Patriots as a pup in the mid-90's, she did as well. She has become pretty knowledgable about the game, and the half-time calls to home always include a chat with mom.

When I met my girlfriend my second year of college, she knew I played and that was the extent of her knowledge of the game (other than that Tom Brady was hot). When she came to one of my games for the first time, she had to ask a friend where the inside linebacker is. She soon learned that my sundays included parking my arse on the couch and absorbing football for 12 hours. She thought it was weird until she realized how much the game meant to me. We started making pat's games a ritual a year ago. She really learned a lot about the passing game, different reciever skill sets, and why Deion Branch was greedy. After the season ended, I was waiting for her to get ready one night and started walking around her room. On the coffee table was a book titled The Football Coaching Bible.:eek: :rocker: . I soon had her asking me about how Barry Sanders affected the run and shoot, and if I thought that the Martz Rams were a hybred of that and the west-coast offense. Last week I had her critique my pass rushing based on how the center was an inferior athlete. I just got off the phone with her and had her say something along the lines of "Babe, I think Taylor is too aggressive on the play-fake. Provided they don't have him bracketing the flanker and split end all day, do you think Welker could run some 9 routes on him if we establish the run?". Oh, how far she has come. Effin love that girl:rocker:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference