PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Winners / Losers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Basically, if anyone compliments or makes an excuse for another Patriot, it could potentially be a direct insult to one of your binkies, according to you.

I couldn't give a ****e about Maroney. I don't have any 'binkies'. What I have is a real dislike for people making touchy-feely arguments that are completely counterfactual to the stats.

That's fine, but this wouldn't have been the first time you've shown irrational negative feelings against Tom Brady. You only started posting on this forum when Matt Cassel became the starter, and you lobbied to cut Brady in favor of Cassel.

No, I did not. You people absolutely love to put up strawmen.

What I noticed (particularly on D):

Obviously....4-3 it seems is the way this yr- Lots of DL not as many LB's
D Backfield is stacked.

Guyton and Mayo played well. They got to the ball quickly and covered their areas well. I love Mayo.

Pass rush was ok.
Burgesswasn't really a factor. Not suprised-be patient.
Banta Cain took care of the overpaid ***** from Buffalo (#71)had a nice sack on 3rd and 4 and pass rushed well.
I'm not impressed with Woods at all. Period.can't shed blocks, get angles or tackle well at least not in this game...but its only one game.
#52Alexandercan hustle on ST but other than that-not impressed at all-
Wilfork and #91Pryor esp. looked good! So didn't the others but those two stood out.

Sanders, Merriweather and Chung: Very nice!
Wheatly , Butler and Wilhite: good hits, physical, got some reps...should get better!

#24Wilhite (4th rd2008) played all last yr. #22Wheatley (2nd Rd2008) IR last year...should be interesting who gets more time. Both are talented.

2nd half defense was depressing and Andy Reid liked that...just like a Double Cheeseburger!

Woods, Alexander and Crable: NOT impressed.

Offense looked good-especially the first half.

Oline STARTERS did a great job!

TE's: Baker looks solid.
Thomas can play FB/TE, block, etc...I'm glad he's back and making an impact.

RB's: BJGE looks solid and hits the hole strong
Maroney started and got around 4ypc in the first series but he has competition again
Morris looks strong (similar to BJGE)

WR:
Edelman is tough-similar to Welker. We'll see how he stacks up against the competition at rec. He def. got handed some decent playing time.
Moss looked good

my observations....not all accurate but what I saw.

Last edited:
No, I did not. You people absolutely love to put up strawmen.

You joined before I thought you did, based on your membership...can't say I remember you posting nearly as much here before your Cassel arguments though...

I couldn't give a ****e about Maroney. I don't have any 'binkies'. What I have is a real dislike for people making touchy-feely arguments that are completely counterfactual to the stats.

Stats. In a preseason game.

I'm done talking to know-nothings.

I never saw the game, but did Brady have any knockdowns? Seemed like Brady had ages to throw from the ESPN highlights, but not sure about the other throws

WINNERS: Brady (He is still very good), Butler(could become a play maker), Chung(Always around the ball), Edelman(good in the slot), Gost (Very confident in him), Hanson(has a leg), Ingram(good snapper), Pryor(relentless), Wilhite (good in coverage and tackling)

LOSERS: Wheatley(seemed lost sometimes), Maroney(his next dance move might be the moonwalk), Galloway (not too bad but dropped a pass and didn't bring in a pretty difficult catch), Alexander (just doesn't show improvement and should have batted a pass down), Richardson (should have batted a pass down or picked it).

Banta-Cain wasn't a loser. He had a sack but he needs to improve his tackling.

I am not buying that Baker is better than Watson yet. He made open TD catches.

Meriweather is out best DB hands down.

The losers deserve a second chance like Edelman got. His second chance made him the biggest winner of the day.

The rest I believe didn't earn or lose their spot.

"Maroney(his next dance move might be the moonwalk),"......Ha ha ha.....:))

Winners

Brady - looked pretty damn good for missing a year
Pass blocking - I don't even think Brady was touched
Edelman - I'm shocked if he doesn't make the team
Baker - 2 of his 3 catches were for TD's.
Banta-Cain - Took that overrated LT from Buffalo to school for a sack. Showed great speed off of the edge.
Wilhite - had a nice pass break up early in the game when McNabb tried to go deep on him.
Pryor - Who knows why he started over Brace, but he made a great play sacking McNabb.

Losers

Woods - I don't what you guys see in him but he once again is invisible. Also, he had the right angle of containing McCoy on that screen pass that went for 19 yards, but he let some O-lineman take him out.
Run Defense - I know it's preseason, but I hope this isn't a sign of things to come.
Galloway - no excuses for his dropped pass in the endzone.

Chris Baker and Alex Smith are going to be huge in this year's offense.

Interesting that you say that. I actually thought Alex Smith was awful last night as a blocker. As a receiver, he didn't get much of an opportunity, but based on that one game I don't see how he makes the team.

Other guys who did practically nothing - Burgess, Crable, Maroney.

Winners - Dave Thomas, Volmer, Willhite, Pryor, and obviously Brady, Moss and Edelman.

Stats are important because the year the NFL has gone to scoring via Fantasy Football stats. :rolleyes:

You can always tell a stat guy. He won't get it and will continue to score with stats, but you can still tell him.

Thoughts on tonight's winners and losers?

Side note: Thank god football is back! 4 hour long, slow played baseball games bug the hell out of me.

Couldn’t agree more! Bring on the Patriots and some NFL excitement.

Baseball = yawn:sleeping:

Jarvis Green had some nice plays too... I remember two penetration in which he hit, or hurried McNabb.

Interesting that you say that. I actually thought Alex Smith was awful last night as a blocker. As a receiver, he didn't get much of an opportunity, but based on that one game I don't see how he makes the team.

Other guys who did practically nothing - Burgess, Crable, Maroney.

Winners - Dave Thomas, Volmer, Willhite, Pryor, and obviously Brady, Moss and Edelman.

Smith was bad last night with his blocking... I was actually surprised at that. David Thomas looked awesome.

Winners

Brady - looked pretty damn good for missing a year
Pass blocking - I don't even think Brady was touched
Edelman - I'm shocked if he doesn't make the team
Baker - 2 of his 3 catches were for TD's.
Banta-Cain - Took that overrated LT from Buffalo to school for a sack. Showed great speed off of the edge.
Wilhite - had a nice pass break up early in the game when McNabb tried to go deep on him.
Pryor - Who knows why he started over Brace, but he made a great play sacking McNabb.

Losers

Woods - I don't what you guys see in him but he once again is invisible. Also, he had the right angle of containing McCoy on that screen pass that went for 19 yards, but he let some O-lineman take him out.
Run Defense - I know it's preseason, but I hope this isn't a sign of things to come.
Galloway - no excuses for his dropped pass in the endzone.

A few things.
1) Peters isn't over-rated. Since you clearly weren't paying attention, the guy was out with an injury until recently.. He'd only been practicing a few days before the game.

2) Woods set the edge just fine last night. If you are going to complain about an OT making a good play on him on that screen pass, then you also have to complain about Seymour not making a play.. Cause they were both right there..

3) Galloway seemed out of sync with Brady, in general.

4) Don't put too much into who starts and who doesn't. Its about the personnel packages they had on the field.. Both Pryor and Brace saw time between Wilfork and Seymour..

I thought that there were a terrific number of positives on display. I'm not willing to etch anything in stone until after game 3 of the preseason.

Heck of a game, though.

On an ancillary note, I hope that Philly knows what it's doing with Vick. McNabb might be a very good QB, but he's got a very fragile ego. This has disaster written all over it.

Actually that is the amusing part. McNabb the whiner and Vick the media circus incarnate. :p

Stats are important because the year the NFL has gone to scoring via Fantasy Football stats. :rolleyes:

You can always tell a stat guy. He won't get it and will continue to score with stats, but you can still tell him.

Hold on, you understand football better than me because your ignorant? Is that the argument you're trying to make?

I don't play fantasy football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference