PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will the second round yield the Patriots next top WR?

Status
Not open for further replies.
McCluster or Jacoby Ford. I think both would be great additions to this team.

Odrick may be our consensue first choice. But if he is gone, we may need to draft a wide receiver and draft defense in the 2nd.

I do expect Odrick to be gone, but WRs in the first round give me stomache aches. IMO if an Odrick or Trent Williams or (fill in your highly rated favorite) isn't available, you either trade down or take the top rated OLB on your board, then pile up on offensive skill players later.

I concur. I wouldn't be thrilled about selecting a wide receiver in the first round. The first round for New England should be reserved for a defensive player. Thus, you afford yourself more flexibility in the second round since you own three picks.

The only way I take a wide receiver in the first round is if I were completely convinced that Thomas could start next season and you trade Moss. But I'm not Belichick and Belichick won't select a wide receiver in the first round under any circumstances.

The team needs to be built around the skills of Brady, not the limitations of a rookie wide receiver. We are not pprimarily a running team, nor will we voluntarily go into the season with the 2-receiver set as a the base or even the common set.

We need to find a couple of receivers who can learn the system. Otherwise, it will need to count on Tate and Edelman (or perhaps Patten) as the kids develop.

If you want to see Tom Brady be great. Put him back under center.... Enough of all this happy shot gun sight adjustment cr@p that's going to get him killed. The reason why Edelman flourished is he was QB who understood how to read defenses. Next year with a lack of Welker we are not going to have the luxury of bringing a 7th rounder along. This team is devoid of weapons. So get an impact WR earlier and bring him along with a strong running game and a dedicated route system. This does'nt neuter Brady it only makes him better.

There is a reason why Collie and Garcon blew up last year. It's called a simple system!

OK, predictably BOR already said that:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...er-scouting-prospects-page11.html#post1746301

That's what I get for coming late to this year's draft party...
I suppose you thought Synagogue, Family, and work came before your Pats drafting duty.
harumph.gif

The Pats don't need another slot receiver. They need someone to play outside.

I do expect Odrick to be gone, but WRs in the first round give me stomache aches. IMO if an Odrick or Trent Williams or (fill in your highly rated favorite) isn't available, you either trade down or take the top rated OLB on your board, then pile up on offensive skill players later.
Yup, and I don't want a big, powerful, lightening in a bottle WR type in the early second either, give me a scrappy little guy who doesn't bottle his lightening.

Ford is very short, but can he fly! Hands are so-so and not a lot of quick twitch, but can he fly! (Raiders should have him in the bulls eye!)

McCluster is very short and light, but he was extremely productive in the SEC and can change direction in a blink of an eye. But he is all quick twitch, not much long speed.

Spiller is a RB that can really help the running game. Decent hands and quick twitch. Set him in the slot opposite Edelman, ISO on a LB and watch the defense call time out after time out. There are no safeties or LBers in the NFL that can run with Spiller.

Tate is really intriguing. Long speed and quick twitch. Decent hands. Incredible YAC abilties and experience in a pro style option route offense. But he does run sloppy routes and might not be strong enough to beat press coverage in the NFL as a rookie. (Long term I think he becomes a faster Hines Ward!)

Yup, and I don't want a big, powerful, lightening in a bottle WR type in the early second either, give me a scrappy little guy who doesn't bottle his lightening.

The more I think about that phrase, the less I want to understand it... :scared:

Anyway, it was kind of you to think my thoughts for me while I was away. Apparently I'm high on Koa Misi now? ;)

HeHe, I smell Gilyard!

I'm thinking we are desperately in need of that guy we had projected Donte Stallworth to be. Someone that can go deep on occasion, but can also be a dependable 3rd down option.

Ford is very short, but can he fly! Hands are so-so and not a lot of quick twitch, but can he fly! (Raiders should have him in the bulls eye!)

McCluster is very short and light, but he was extremely productive in the SEC and can change direction in a blink of an eye. But he is all quick twitch, not much long speed.

Spiller is a RB that can really help the running game. Decent hands and quick twitch. Set him in the slot opposite Edelman, ISO on a LB and watch the defense call time out after time out. There are no safeties or LBers in the NFL that can run with Spiller.

Tate is really intriguing. Long speed and quick twitch. Decent hands. Incredible YAC abilties and experience in a pro style option route offense. But he does run sloppy routes and might not be strong enough to beat press coverage in the NFL as a rookie. (Long term I think he becomes a faster Hines Ward!)

Love this idea! I had this discussion with BOR yesterday that if Odrick and Graham are gone before 22 and Spiller is available, what do you do? BOR thought BB would would pull out all the stops to trade for multiple picks to someone who really wanted spiller and if unsuccessful, pick Spiller for the Pats for use primarily as a versatile receiver/RB combo.

Love this idea! I had this discussion with BOR yesterday that if Odrick and Graham are gone before 22 and Spiller is available, what do you do? BOR thought BB would would pull out all the stops to trade for multiple picks to someone who really wanted spiller and if unsuccessful, pick Spiller for the Pats for use primarily as a versatile receiver/RB combo.

That's essentially what you'll get in McCluster IMO at a lesser cost.

Spiller helps in the running game, passing game and the return game. If used properly, he is a playmaker and someone most defenses don't have the speed to deal with.

I can see Spiller getting 8 to 10 carries a game, catching 4-5 balls a game and shortening the field by about 5- 10 yards per drive with his outstanding return abilities.

He's probably the one offensive skill player I'd consider in the 1st.

The small quick-twitch wideouts have outplayed the big burners in recent year. We were burnt by Chad Jackson while Santonio Holmes flourished. Meanwhile, Desean Jackson, Maclin, Avery, these guys all look like contributors.

Well, if they had taken Greg Jennings instead of Chad Jackson you might not be saying this. I won't say who came on here for months begging them to take Jennings, not again, because I've probably said it only 52186 times.

They just have to stop falling in love with the way a guy looks in shorts (Chad Jax, Ben Watson) and actually look at the d*mn game film.

He's probably the one offensive skill player I'd consider in the 1st.

He doesn;t meet the BB "3 downs" requirement in order to be a 1st rounder, which is why I think BB passes on him, but he brings a ton of playmaking ability to the table.

McClain (if he gets medical clearance) remains the best three down option as far as first round talent goes, and while I am not scared by the Crohn's, I am extremely worried about the hammy. Hammies that take 6 months to heal are a HUGE red flag for me. While not a doctor, I have played FB in college and have learned a lot about these type inuries that linger and a lot of times, i have heard the doctor use the dreaded term, degenerative. I am not saying that degenerative applies to McClain, I am saying I have heard doctors use that term on these lingering type injuries and it is scary.

I have to put McClain in the same category as Decker, Gronkowski, Best, etc. etc. etc. The "needs tons of medical clearance" category. I hope McClain likes the "gadunk" sound because he is going to hear it a lot while surfing the magnetic tube over and over again.

That's essentially what you'll get in McCluster IMO at a lesser cost.

Exactly. With McCluster it's all about the mismatches. You can line him up anywhere to take advantage of an opponents weakness, and he has exceptional experience as both a WR and RB. He is in no way shape or form simply a "slot" receiver.

He doesn;t meet the BB "3 downs" requirement in order to be a 1st rounder, which is why I think BB passes on him, but he brings a ton of playmaking ability to the table.

McClain (if he gets medical clearance) remains the best three down option as far as first round talent goes, and while I am not scared by the Crohn's, I am extremely worried about the hammy. Hammies that take 6 months to heal are a HUGE red flag for me. While not a doctor, I have played FB in college and have learned a lot about these type inuries that linger and a lot of times, i have heard the doctor use the dreaded term, degenerative. I am not saying that degenerative applies to McClain, I am saying I have heard doctors use that term on these lingering type injuries and it is scary.

I have to put McClain in the same category as Decker, Gronkowski, Best, etc. etc. etc. The "needs tons of medical clearance" category. I hope McClain likes the "gadunk" sound because he is going to hear it a lot while surfing the magnetic tube over and over again.

It depends on his personal history as far as Crohns goes. A good friend of mine is struggling with it right now, and the disease has a high probability of becoming cancer. Its a relatively unpredictable disease, but Brigham+Women's is one of the best treatment facilities in the nation (or so I'm told). Flare ups would probably be the biggest question for him, as well as weight issues. The flare ups can be devasting, and are unpredictable. It'll be interesting to see just how far he falls though.

The more I think about that phrase, the less I want to understand it... :scared:

Anyway, it was kind of you to think my thoughts for me while I was away. Apparently I'm high on Koa Misi now? ;)
Um, you female, me male. Even if I had my slave collar around your neck and were calling the shots, there would be "no" way I could think your thoughts. Sorry, the plumbing difference doesn't begin to define the difference between men and women. :confused2:

But if you like Koa Misi and a NE OLB prospect, I'm glad. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes