PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wild Card Weekend: Cincinnati Bengals at Houston Texans

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, they're not, which is why they, too, are 12-4.

As it was pointed out, not all 12-4 teams are created equal. The Pats crushed them head to head. The Texans are not nearly as good today as they were at the start of the season. The Pats are 4-1 over the last four games and the the Texans are 1-4. They both played a different schedule.

I mean the Packers and Colts have the same record. Which team would you rather face or win most of the time if they played head to head a 100 times.

Last edited:
Not a big fan of rematch games against us...i know we will be ready though...

I didn't have a problem with them going for it on 4th down. I had a much bigger issue for going for a low percentage TD pass play on third down. It was definitely four down territory considering the field position and time left, but they should have tried to at least get half the yards for first down on third down rather than go for a low percentage play on third down.

Dalton had him just overthrew it. Once that happens, if you don't attempt the FG, which would have been 53-54, you pooch it, pin them deep, and force three straight runs. Maybe the Bengals punter sucks I don't know but to go for it there is capitulating.

Exactly. Maybe "unprepared" was the wrong word. How about overprepared or overmotivated? Either way, it will not be like it was on MNF. They will be able to correct every single thing they did wrong.

I'm not trying to Chicken Little, but this was the game I wanted the least. We need to contain JJ Watt again, but I don't know if what we did last time be as effective.

I agree with you. You are not being Chicken Little either. Just keeping it real. I expect a better performance from them, but I also expect a better performance from the Pats as well. This is not the 2010 Pats team.

Dalton had him just overthrew it. Once that happens, if you don't attempt the FG, which would have been 53-54, you pooch it, pin them deep, and force three straight runs. Maybe the Bengals punter sucks I don't know but to go for it there is capitulating.

It doesn't matter if Dalton had him and just made a bad throw. It still is a low percentage play which you kinda support by stating that Dalton missed a wide open receiver by quite a bit.

Exactly. Maybe "unprepared" was the wrong word. How about overprepared or overmotivated? Either way, it will not be like it was on MNF. They will be able to correct every single thing they did wrong.

I'm not trying to Chicken Little, but this was the game I wanted the least. We need to contain JJ Watt again, but I don't know if what we did last time be as effective.

They will correct every single thing they did wrong?

Dungy picked the Vikings, how biased. They might as well hire me to do the Pats-Texans preview and predictions next week.

People keep going back to the 2010 playoffs but the jets did beat the Pats by two touchdowns that season

To me that increases the odds the pats don't lose to the texans because everyone at foxborough lived through that so they will be prepared to make sure it does not happen again.

It doesn't matter if Dalton had him and just made a bad throw. It still is a low percentage play which you kinda support by stating that Dalton missed a wide open receiver by quite a bit.

It was hardly 4 down situation though. If they no timeouts, yes but not with 2 timeouts and the 2 min. If you don't attempt the FG, you absolutely attempt to pin them there. Even a touchback would have been more advantageous then what happened. Spotted them a free 10 yards. Just awful coaching.

They will correct every single thing they did wrong?

Yes they will have that opportunity. Execution is not guaranteed, but the opportunity to correct game plan mistakes will be there.

Always entertaining to see how they shoe horn the wild card game-centric lyrics into this song.

Last edited:
It was hardly 4 down situation though. If they no timeouts, yes but not with 2 timeouts and the 2 min. If you don't attempt the FG, you absolutely attempt to pin them there. Even a touchback would have been more advantageous then what happened. Spotted them a free 10 yards. Just awful coaching.

I don't know. I think the way both they were playing on both sides of the ball, it was a 4 down situation.

Either way, they clearly made the decision to make it a four down situation and going with a low percentage play on 3rd and 11 was the wrong move. If it was something like 3rd and 5 or something like that, then going for the end zone would be ok. But 3rd and long should have either tried to go for the first down or make 4th down more manageable.

Yes they will have that opportunity. Execution is not guaranteed, but the opportunity to correct game plan mistakes will be there.

And what are we doing whilst they are making all these corrections. I guess the pats will be taking a vacation.

How will they cover Gronk, Hernandez, Welk, Lloyd, and the Running game....that is their gameplan.....good luck. IF Gronk is playing at 80% and NOT favoring that arm....he will be a HUGE factor and they need to gameplan him. I also think if our D comes out FIRED up AND Gets Pressure on Schaub....he is going to turn it over. Still like the Pats in this game...especially since we beat them handily the FIRST Time without GRonk and SEVERAL on Defense....GO PATS!

Watching how the Texans played the last few weeks, including today, and watching how the Bengals played against them I'm really happy with this outcome.

I don't think there's any chance that the Bengals would have gone to Denver and won.

I think that the Ravens or even the Colts will give the Broncos a better game, or at least a more interesting one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST