PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

"Wild Bill's Hot Young Quarterback Emporium" is OPEN! (Cassel news links thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
No. But I do think it's more than 1 in 31.

Would you really bet your $750 against my $25 to say the Jets WON'T get him?

If I were a gambling man (I'm not), yeah, I would.

A writer for the Minneapolis Star-Tribune talks about the possibility of Cassel going to the Vikings. Without coming right out and saying it, he hints that trading for Cassel is probably Minnesota's best option.

From the Vikings’ perspective, if they have identified Cassel as their guy they can’t afford to have this thing go on for too long. That was part of the issue last offseason. The Vikings made a trade offer for Houston quarterback Sage Rosenfels near the start of free agency but that was turned down. Minnesota considered a few other options but ended up signing Gus Frerotte as the backup to Tarvaris Jackson and locked themselves into Jackson as their starter heading into training camp.

It’s extremely unlikely that will happen again. Three years into his career, Jackson has yet to prove he can be a consistent starter in the NFL and as Lombardi points out, “with a talented quarterback, the Vikings go from being contenders in the NFC North to Super Bowl contenders.”
The Vikings’ two biggest issues with Cassel would be his inexperience and his lack of familiarity with the West Coast offense. Cassel attended USC but he wasn’t a starter for the Trojans. The Patriots, of course, don’t run the West Coast system.

While Cassel might be a bit raw, the Vikings’ brass undoubtedly has seen in its recent evaluations that a franchise in need of help at quarterback does not have many options.

A beat writer for the Tampa Bay Bucs points out that their team needs to do something and has plenty of cap space to sign Cassel to a long term deal.

This is total speculation. But it's obvious the Bucs have to address the quarterback position. If they truly are ready to move on from Jeff Garcia, a distinct possibility, and they aren't ready to crown Luke McCown their starter, then they've got to do something. Both those players are free agents anyway.

It will be expensive to acquire Cassel, especially this year when the quarterback market both in the draft and in free agency is very uninspiring. Allen, for example, netted the Chiefs a first-round pick and two third-rounders. But this is not a defensive end we're talking about. We're talking quarterback here, and a potential franchise quarterback, at that (when was the last time those words were used in relation to the Bucs?). One reason Tampa Bay, if inclined, is positioned to do this deal is its massive amount of salary-cap space. The Bucs can give Cassel the big-money, long-term contract he would be seeking without breaking a sweat.

Vinnie Iyer of The Sporting News gives his opinion on what the Pats may get in return for Cassel.
The Patriots will look to rook someone with Cassel. Look, Matt Cassel (12th) had an unexpectedly amazing season in replacing Tom Brady this past season, but how much did it help that he was in a very passer-friendly offense with elite receivers? That's the question that the Chiefs and other interested teams need to ask before trying to trade for Cassel.

New England will attempt to get a first-rounder and more to move its now non-exclusive franchise-tagged player, while a second-rounder will likely be the lowball outside offer. It will be intriguing to see if K.C. GM Scott Pioli, of all people, can successfully swing a favorable deal with his former team.

Peter King thinks Matt Cassel won't be a Patriot this fall--but doesn't say where he will go, except that he doesn't expect Pioli to be interested.

I hate to agree w Peter King, but his logic might be on point when it comes to Pioli. Pioli and BB might think so much alike, that for them to engage in trade talks might look kind of like a movie where a guy fights his evil twin and they know each other's moves. After success w Brady and Cassel, why wouldn't Pioli feel confident he can find a QB in the draft and develop him? Add to that, whatever BB values (ie, 35th pick in this draft is a really great spot), Pioli values as well.

I do feel that all the other teams who wind up with Epic Fail when it comes to drafting QBs will pay a higher premium than Pioli.

Last edited:
No. But I do think it's more than 1 in 31.

Would you really bet your $750 against my $25 to say the Jets WON'T get him?
YES! BB would NEVER trade Bledsoe within the division!

Ummm, wait a minute...

I hate to agree w Peter King, but his logic might be on point when it comes to Pioli. Pioli and BB might think so much alike, that for them to engage in trade talks might look kind of like a movie where a guy fights his evil twin and they know each other's moves. After success w Brady and Cassel, why wouldn't Pioli feel confident he can find a QB in the draft and develop him? Add to that, whatever BB values (ie, 35th pick in this draft is a really great spot), Pioli values as well.

I do feel that all the other teams who wind up with Epic Fail when it comes to drafting QBs will pay a higher premium than Pioli.
A trade isn't a zero sum game - it isn't a chess or wrestling match where in order for one contestent to win the other must lose. A good trade benefits both sides.

There is no reason that BB and Pioli could not work out a mutually beneficial deal. In fact, there is every reason to think that they could, given how well they worked together in New England.

A trade isn't a zero sum game - it isn't a chess or wrestling match where in order for one contestent to win the other must lose. A good trade benefits both sides.

There is no reason that BB and Pioli could not work out a mutually beneficial deal. In fact, there is every reason to think that they could, given how well they worked together in New England.

It's odd, but to a first approximation a trade has a purely cooperative part and a purely zero-sum part. The purely cooperative part is, in this case, getting Cassel to the team that values him most highly. The zero-sum part is divvying up the value between the Pats, the new team, and Cassell himself.

Of course, reality is more complicated than that approximation ...

It's odd, but to a first approximation a trade has a purely cooperative part and a purely zero-sum part. The purely cooperative part is, in this case, getting Cassel to the team that values him most highly. The zero-sum part is divvying up the value between the Pats, the new team, and Cassell himself.

Of course, reality is more complicated than that approximation ...

I don't know about this ... I'm thinking the Matthagorean Theorem gives the best approximation of his value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye