PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Widespread Hazing Problem in NFL

Please don't use Dez Bryant as an example of how to look at finances responsibly. He's not the greatest judge on this subject. Using him as a role model for reaction to his money being wasted only diminishes the discussion.

"Hey, it's OK! The financially ******ed man-child thought that $54,000 dinner tab for the vets was funny!"

Dez Bryant went on a massive rookie spending spree

Dez Bryant's adviser: Dallas Cowboys receiver working on repaying his debts, 'in a dark place' - ESPN Dallas

Diminishes the discussion? The point, which I thought I made clear, was with hazing that which is acceptable to one person may not be acceptable to another. I don't claim to know what the right side of that argument is, but I also do not claim some paternalistic notion of right and wrong in how professional football players conduct themselves. My point was do not confuse what Incognito did with these traditional issues.

Neither you, I, nor anybody else who has not been a part of an NFL team has any clue of how those traditional actions are received by the individuals on those teams. Bringing the anti-dodgeball mentality to the discussion of professional NFL athletes, I suspect many of whom are supremely confident in who they are after years of athletic success, is something of a stretch. These guys tend to be trained to tear each others' heads off in physical clashes, and do not tend to whimper in corners when booed by thousands of fans who hate them and their teams. There is no "special trier" award in football. You play the game better than your competition, or your career is over. That is the attitude of these athletes, as described in every article on high profile veteran cuts.

And as for Dez Bryant, he is an adult. Many NFL players are not particularly bright. I seriously doubt there is much discussion of social darwinism, Friedrich Nietzsche, or natural law theory in the lockerroom. And in the event you missed it, professional sports and entertainment generally are rife with individuals frittering away millions on expenses that have nothing to do with dinners. Antoine Walker didn't spend $110 million on rookie dinners. T.O.? $80 million to nothing in a career. Dez Bryant is not unique in his spending habits, so let's not paint him as a professional sports anomaly and lament the $30k or $50k frittered away in an evening. If he wants to spend his money on a dinner rather than on another high end sports car, and he doesn't take issue with that expenditure, who are you or anybody else to question if that is acceptable under a paternalistic sense of propriety? If it doesn't bother him to spend millions, then it shouldn't bother you that he spends it. He isn't your ward, and frankly I doubt you are sitting there with $2.5 million in the palm of your hand at his age thinking "I would really hate it if somebody made me pay for a $54,000 dinner bill." The fact you preach sound fiscal decisions does not mean that concept means boo to him, and it is only when it subjectively bothers him that these traditions become problematic. That is when traditions become detrimental to a team and to individuals on that team. That line, as the military continues to learn, is very difficult to draw, and often means foregoing traditions that build comradery for some utterly forgettable substitute that few will recall and ultimately does not instill a sense of belonging to a unique brotherhood.

18k? Please. That's like $50 for the average person. Those rookies don't give a **** about that measly money when they'll make it back in a day.

A rookie spending $18,000 on dinner is the equivalent of a normal person spending 1.4 months of their pay on dinner. That's a lot of money no matter how much a person makes.

A rookie spending $18,000 on dinner is the equivalent of a normal person spending 1.4 months of their pay on dinner. That's a lot of money no matter how much a person makes.
Yeah for a rookie with minimum wage, not a 2nd round pick who makes twice that amount in a week.

You're wrong, $18k is very significant. The base salary for a drafted NFL rookie in 2010 was $325k.

Is it 18k per rookie or 18k spread across 5 or 6 rookies?

After taxes it's about 2.5 million, you might want to purchase a house help out your family put some away for a rainy day, it's not as much as you think it is and goes rather quickly unless you are careful.

Football players going dead broke in the nfl and the sports industry in general is quite a big issue. Asking a rookie to fork over 10-20 grand is disturbing and is a mentality that shouldn't be promoted imo.

Don't forget that their are more expenses for athletes than just taxes. For instance the agent takes a 10% cut, the manager takes a 10% cut etc.

I would think that the 1st rounders have the most to pay...

Incogweedo is an asshat, but, Martina is a big punanee. Both of them are 2 pea's in a pod. Polar opposites perhaps. Both of them you don't want on your team.

I am not too familiar with either player you mentioned. However, I don't think it is right to call martin a female body part because he may be more sensitive than your average player. I agree on the other guy though as he seems like a very bad person who needs professional help. Martin may have self esteem issues and may also need professional help. Either way I don't condone the actions that I have heard about.

Don't forget that their are more expenses for athletes than just taxes. For instance the agent takes a 10% cut, the manager takes a 10% cut etc.

.....not to mention the tithe, brother Cat ;)

Martin had to fork over $15,000 for the veterans to go to Las Vegas.

It doesn't matter how much it is.

When an Incognito extorts kids in grade school for their "only 50 cents" milk money it is wrong then too.

Last edited:

The NFLPA's annual meeting of player representatives --not the most sympathetic group toward agent fees -- periodically addresses the fee structure for agents. The maximum fee has been reduced a couple of times over the years and is now at 3 percent of the player's contract...

...Agents cannot charge 3 percent for restricted free agent or franchise tag one-year contracts. The maximum for those is 2 percent.

Fee undercutting is rampant. Agents will charge less than 1 percent to entice a player to sign. Lowering fees has become a staple for agents seeking to gain business.

NFL -- Agent's life isn't all glamour - ESPN

The $18,000 was the amount that Ladanian Tomlinson was forced to pay. He claimed that hazing was not out of line on his team. I used him as an example of how the NFL may have to question players and coaches who claim hazing is not a widespread problem. I believe that Goodell (and more importantly the NFL's attorneys) are going to have a difficult time rationalizing the forced payment of $18,000 or $30,000 or $54,000 dinner tabs. That is very thin ice to the owners running a billion dollar business.

If you went by the strict letter of the law, these forced payments could be reasonably interpreted as extortion. Not to mention that most states have specific anti-hazing laws in addition to workplace coersion laws.

My gut says this all ends up being a proverbial "big deal" before it's all said and done. Haircuts and carrying shoulder pads may survive....

Diminishes the discussion? The point, which I thought I made clear, was with hazing that which is acceptable to one person may not be acceptable to another. I don't claim to know what the right side of that argument is, but I also do not claim some paternalistic notion of right and wrong in how professional football players conduct themselves. My point was do not confuse what Incognito did with these traditional issues.

Neither you, I, nor anybody else who has not been a part of an NFL team has any clue of how those traditional actions are received by the individuals on those teams. Bringing the anti-dodgeball mentality to the discussion of professional NFL athletes, I suspect many of whom are supremely confident in who they are after years of athletic success, is something of a stretch. These guys tend to be trained to tear each others' heads off in physical clashes, and do not tend to whimper in corners when booed by thousands of fans who hate them and their teams. There is no "special trier" award in football. You play the game better than your competition, or your career is over. That is the attitude of these athletes, as described in every article on high profile veteran cuts.

And as for Dez Bryant, he is an adult. Many NFL players are not particularly bright. I seriously doubt there is much discussion of social darwinism, Friedrich Nietzsche, or natural law theory in the lockerroom. And in the event you missed it, professional sports and entertainment generally are rife with individuals frittering away millions on expenses that have nothing to do with dinners. Antoine Walker didn't spend $110 million on rookie dinners. T.O.? $80 million to nothing in a career. Dez Bryant is not unique in his spending habits, so let's not paint him as a professional sports anomaly and lament the $30k or $50k frittered away in an evening. If he wants to spend his money on a dinner rather than on another high end sports car, and he doesn't take issue with that expenditure, who are you or anybody else to question if that is acceptable under a paternalistic sense of propriety? If it doesn't bother him to spend millions, then it shouldn't bother you that he spends it. He isn't your ward, and frankly I doubt you are sitting there with $2.5 million in the palm of your hand at his age thinking "I would really hate it if somebody made me pay for a $54,000 dinner bill." The fact you preach sound fiscal decisions does not mean that concept means boo to him, and it is only when it subjectively bothers him that these traditions become problematic. That is when traditions become detrimental to a team and to individuals on that team. That line, as the military continues to learn, is very difficult to draw, and often means foregoing traditions that build comradery for some utterly forgettable substitute that few will recall and ultimately does not instill a sense of belonging to a unique brotherhood.

Sorry you took it so personally.

Point is a financial ****** like Bryant laughing it off does not make such a thing ok.

He's an idiot who doesn't understand the concept of money. It's like saying Anna Nicole Smith never got too concerned about sleeping pills.

BTW, the fact that everyone connected with the NFL has jumped to rationalize that "normal" hazing is OK tells me that there is a culture of widespread hazing in the the NFL, that it is accepted, to some degree, by most if not all teams. I don't think the lawyers at the league office are going to be comfortable with that, once the media glare has been shined on it.

The fact that the Incognito stuff is even more vile is not going to make the "normal" hazing any more defensible to a billion dollar industry with a lot of legal exposure...

BTW, the fact that everyone connected with the NFL has jumped to rationalize that "normal" hazing is OK tells me that there is a culture of widespread hazing in the the NFL, that it is accepted, to some degree, by most if not all teams. I don't think the lawyers at the league office are going to be comfortable with that, once the media glare has been shined on it.

The fact that the Incognito stuff is even more vile is not going to make the "normal" hazing any more defensible to a billion dollar industry with a lot of legal exposure...

"Yeah, yeah, but hazing is the only way to build camaraderie!!!"

giving a rookie a bad hair cut IMO is the type of Hazing that is done in good fun but forcing someone to pay a diner bill the size of a down payment on a house is not fun I need to stop

just checking, but everyone knows the rookie dinner idea isnt unique to the NFL right? It is commonplace in the NHL, and NBA, and would imagine MLB as well. Whether or not you think it is extreme or not, its definitely not something that has been unearthed because of the recent Dolphin fiasco. Many of these stories come out as team building stories in newspaper stories, with rookies taking it on the chin as a welcome to the league.

Actually in MLB, the tradition is that the players making the most money pay for the team dinners. The big rookie hazing stunt there is making the rookies dress up in embarrassing costumes while heading out on one of the later road trips of the year.

Martin had to fork over $15,000 for the veterans to go to Las Vegas.

It doesn't matter how much it is.

When an Incognito extorts kids in grade school for their "only 50 cents" milk money it is wrong then too.

This. I fail to see the difference between forcing people to pay for a meal or a trip to Vegas with the implication of negative consequences for not complying and beating up a kid for his lunch money.

It's hard to believe that being forced to pay for $18k dinners is commonplace. How is it assumed someone, especially a rookie, can cover an unplanned expense like that? Maybe we'll be finding out more about this stuff.

It's commonplace, built into stories about various teams.

E.g., there was a Cowboy's story that Dez Bryant got hit for 2-3 times as much as that, after refusing to carry shoulder pads and so on.

Edit: I see the Bryant story was already in the thread, and it was exactly 3X $18K.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back