PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why the Pats don't win big - my take

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always felt this was part of the overall scheme. Why, (except for extreme circumstances, ala the Bills Massacre 2003), beat a team into submission, then score at will beyond that? Has that helped the Colts the last few years?

I think it helps teams continue to underestimate them. Players still comment that, except for a play or two, they were right there, shoulda won, if only....", all because the game seems to be in reach, even when losing by 11pts.

The exceptions to the rule are few and far between. For whatever reason, Belichick & company don't put much value in beating many teams by more than 3 scores.

Fanfrom1960 said:
Certainly not warranted, but I'm surprised that nobody else so far has said 'what's wrong with 28 - 6'? Also, the Cinci game was a blowout. Also also, as others have pointed out, not the Pats style even in the SB years.

You make a good point. This post is somewhat contradictory. He states "Why the Pats don't win big" as the title of his post......after the Pats won BIG over the Bills..........28-6 is kicking *****.....not saying it came simply.....Buffalo hung around a bit....but overall we won BIG.........Like you said....We beat Cincy BIG......In all technicality we beat Miami pretty big (should have been higher really...we knelt down on the 5 yd line or so to close out the game.....obviously would have been another TD most likely).......anyways, like you say this season is a little different than past......Pats are taking some teams down pretty "big"......good post

Last edited:
my take... two reasons why the Pats dont win big

1) Before this season, the O really wasn't all that great. 2001, 2003 and 2004 were all defensive teams, with a complementary offense. It wasn't until Dillon came on the scene that the O really showed signs of real danger. The only weapons in the passing game have been Branch, Patten, Brown and Givens, which hardly compares with the receiving corp from most NFL teams. The reason the Pats win close games: strong D and just enough creative scoring to get the job done

2) Game management. With a 4th quarter lead, no team in living memory has been so good at finding ways to kill the clock on O. They are content to get the first down that they need to ice the game, and then take a knee. They play smart D knowing the opponents will become predictable as they get more impatient to score. It tends to end in a Harrison, Samuel or Bruschi INT, followed by a Brady kneel down.

The few big scoring wins this year (Cleveland, Buffalo) are just a sign that this O is better than it has been in the past. That's all. I dont think the Pats are coy about scoring points if they can. In the recent SB years they had to settle for scoring when they absolutely needed it, because they couldn't do it every time. This year, the OL is stronger and deeper than ever. The running game, with Evans and Moroney, is better than ever before. The TEs are four players deep and talented. The WRs are bigger, faster and stronger than ever before. I think before the end of the season, barring injury, the Pats are going to be blowing teams out regularly. This is one of the best squads that we've ever had.

Belichick is all about RISK vs REWARD

While at the same time protecting the playbook for future games.

He has plays in that book that will only get called once all year...when needed.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft