PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why not trade DB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcbee

Banned
Reaction score
If he's going to be blackballed after his latest lawsuits, why not trade him now? A second round pick is not exactly trash. No guarantee of a 1st in the 'tag and trade' scenario.

Also, was the Pats offer to DB giving him his signing bonus for the extension now? If so, what difference does it make if the final 1M year is ripped up or not? His pay this year would be 1M + signing bonus.

Don't know what the Pats are doing other than trying to teach him a lesson and set an example.

I agree if they are convinced he actually will hold out until week 10. I guess the question is, is it better to get 50 cents on the dollar for him now, or get him back week 10 for 1 more playoff push/superbowl run (assuming he keep himself in shape until then) before he leaves for nothing? The downside to trading him now is that it does give him what he wants in that he would be allowed to get a big contract before his current one is up, and may encourage others to try the same thing before their rookie contracts are done.

I don't see how the heck Deion still has the same agent. It's obvious the guy has gotten him into some deep dookie. He's so far in now I guess he feels obligated to stick with him.

What is the advantage to the patriots of trading him now for a 2nd rounder and trading him in April for a 2nd rounder?

mgteich said:
What is the advantage to the patriots of trading him now for a 2nd rounder and trading him in April for a 2nd rounder?

What indeed? Except, of course, to reward him for a holdout well done.

mgteich said:

Bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. Plus it ends a distraction.

The only down side is he ends up getting what he wants.

mcbee said:
Bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. Plus it ends a distraction.

The only down side is he ends up getting what he wants.

but it sets a bad precedent for future hold outs. Plus I don't see this as a major distraction unless the teams starts off poorly.

Screw him. Send him anywhere.
He wants to go? Send him to SF for a pair of second rounders.

if you trade him your just teling the next guy to sit out and we will trade you too. The pats extended Brady and they extended Seymour, Branch does not want to get extended but wants a new deal.

Yeah, we might as well cave.

Guess his agent was just toogher than us even though we had a signed contract and could have traded him whenever we wanted.

Most of our other players are real nice guys too and I'm sure they wouldn't go get an agent and ditch their contracts any time they saw a chance to make a little more money.

Would they?

mgteich said:

1 more year...that means something......I think his trade value is highest right NOW.....If he doesn't want to honor his contract....what else can they do? Pats need to move the guy....unfortuneate situation...as I really do like the guy as a player......

stcjones said:
1 more year...that means something......I think his trade value is highest right NOW.....If he doesn't want to honor his contract....what else can they do? Pats need to move the guy....unfortuneate situation...as I really do like the guy as a player......

First off, I don't necessarily agree with the fact that his current trade value is much greater than it will be if he holds out this year. However even if that premise is true, whatever incremental upside there is in his current trade value is not even close to the pain and suffering the Pats will incur by setting a precedent like this with a guy like DB. Future hard-ball holdouts are a certainty if they accomodate him with a trade. This is not Brady and its not Seymour. DB is the next level down and there are a other guys right there with him. They must play hardball. Unless its something daffy like two 1sts for DB, then no trade. If he plays this year its with the Pats. If he sits all year, or even until Week 10 as speculated, fine. Then franchise him at year-end and then, and only then, do you trade him.

1976pats said:
First off, I don't necessarily agree with the fact that his current trade value is much greater than it will be if he holds out this year. However even if that premise is true, whatever incremental upside there is in his current trade value is not even close to the pain and suffering the Pats will incur by setting a precedent like this with a guy like DB. Future hard-ball holdouts are a certainty if they accomodate him with a trade. This is not Brady and its not Seymour. DB is the next level down and there are a other guys right there with him. They must play hardball. Unless its something daffy like two 1sts for DB, then no trade. If he plays this year its with the Pats. If he sits all year, or even until Week 10 as speculated, fine. Then franchise him at year-end and then, and only then, do you trade him.

Good post,....maybe you are right....maybe unloading him would be a bad precedent.......appreciate your opinion.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back