PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why isn’t anyone talking about Maroney’s fumble?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Why isn’t anyone talking about Maroney’s fumble?

All the talk shows up here, TV, this board…it’s all about Belichick’s call to go on 4th & 1.

Admittedly, this call MAY have cost us the game. Certainly, our odds were better at stopping the Colts from 70 yards away than 30 yards away.

But Maroney’s goal line fumble cost us the game, let there be no doubt about it.

Even if he doesn’t score (which he should have, except for the fact that the kid just does not know how to generate a hard forward push or at the very least bounce it outside and angle for the pylon)...

But if he does not score and just hangs onto the forking ball, we at least get 3 points and the 4th & 1 becomes a non-event because it is a two score game for Indy at that point with under 2 minutes to play.

Maroney is a bust. We all know it. He gives us fleeting moments of hope, but his fumble and his 31 yards on 13 carries as the FEATURE BACK of the offense in a game of GIGANTIC proportions just does not cut it. His four years in Foxboro DO NOT CUT IT!

Up to this point, for those four years, Maroney has basically just NOT helped us, but last night he HURT us and he potentially cost us home field advantage throughout the playoffs.

With all three of our losses in the conference, and two against teams we’ll be drawing straws against for playoff spots (Denver & Indy), last night’s loss was H-U-G-E!

And Maroney gets the goat horns.

Does anyone have Larry Johnson’s agent’s number handy?

if i rember right i think the pats got a turn over and came back and got a TD after the fumble so i dont see how that lost the game

My mistake, I meant fumble.

In that case, where am I justifying the fumble? I've pointed out that running backs fumble, and it's part of the game. I've pointed out that this was only the second lost fumble of Maroney's NFL career. I've pointed out that the subsequent 2 drives negated the failed score as a 'lost' score.

None of that justifies the fumble. The man fumbled the ball on a play where he wasn't injured, pasted or twisted into painful contortions. It was a bad play by Maroney. I just don't buy into the notion that it helped lose the game, because I think subsequent events undid any damage, and I think it's idiotic for people to break out the "Maroney sucks" crap over it.

Last edited:

1.) The only potentially significant impact of Maroney's fumble was psychological, because of what happened in the ensuing failed Colts drive and the punt return.

In that case, where am I justifying the fumble? I've pointed out that running backs fumble, and it's part of the game. I've pointed out that this was only the second lost fumble of Maroney's NFL career. I've pointed out that the subsequent 2 drives negated the failed score as a 'lost' score.

None of that justifies the fumble. The man fumbled the ball on a play where he wasn't injured, pasted or twisted into painful contortions. It was a bad play by Maroney. I just don't buy into the notion that it helped lose the game, because I think subsequent events undid any damage.
The first comment reads like a justification to me. The reality is that the Maroney and Brady turnovers impacted the scoreboard. That left crucial points out on the field. Those lost scores contributed to the Patriots losing.

I don't agree with you in that whatever happened immediately after undid this or undid that. The reality is Brady throws an interception, Manning throws and interception, Maroney fumbles, Colts go 3 and out, Patriots score a TD, Colts score a TD. IMO, as I have stated earlier, those lost points as you appropriately pointed out were a contributing factor to the Patriots ultimate demise.

Now also Maroney, I'm with you. I don't think he is crap as fumbles do happen and I believe he is unfairly maligned, but if an opportunity to upgrade him presents itself for the apparent style of running the Patriots need, we'd be foolish not to investigate.

Last edited:

The first comment reads like a justification to me. The reality is that the Maroney and Brady turnovers impacted the scoreboard. That left crucial points out on the field. Those lost scores contributed to the Patriots losing.

Actually, we have no way of knowing if this is true. It's an assumption that you're making. In truth, if there are alternate universes out there, there may be one in which Maroney scores and then the Colts go on to put the next 50 points on the board. We'll never know, because the fumble was neither a game ending play nor, as it turned out, a significant game changing play.

I don't agree with you in that whatever happened immediately after undid this or undid that. The reality is Brady throws an interception, Manning throws and interception, Maroney fumbles, Colts go 3 and out, Patriots score a TD, Colts score a TD. IMO, as I have stated earlier, those lost points as you appropriately pointed out were a contributing factor to the Patriots ultimate demise.

The reality is that, after the first half, the score was 24-14 with an entire half to go. The reality is that, after the Brady INT, Manning INT, Maroney fumble, Indy failed drive, Welker return, Patriots touchdown, the score was 31-14 with only 14:18 to go. So, in other words after the Pick/Pick/Fumble/Punt/Return/TD, the lead was larger and the half was more than 50% gone. Neither the Brady interception, nor the Maroney fumble, were contributing to the loss that was to follow. Events following each miscue rendered each of them insignificant.

Now also Maroney, I'm with you. I don't think he is crap as fumbles do happen and I believe he is unfairly maligned, but if an opportunity to upgrade him presents itself for the apparent style of running the Patriots need, we'd be foolish not to investigate.

I'd have no problem with the team bringing in a theoretical upgrade. The team will need to start with the offensive line, though. The most important run blocker starting for the team is seemingly the oldest and most brittle offensive lineman, and the team's decision to go without a fullback is currently looking like yet another mistake in judgment made this past offseason, given the absence of holes opened up by the offensive line.

Actually, we have no way of knowing if this is true. It's an assumption that you're making. In truth, if there are alternate universes out there, there may be one in which Maroney scores and then the Colts go on to put the next 50 points on the board. We'll never know, because the fumble was neither a game ending play nor, as it turned out, a significant game changing play.

The reality is that, after the first half, the score was 24-14 with an entire half to go. The reality is that, after the Brady INT, Manning INT, Maroney fumble, Indy failed drive, Welker return, Patriots touchdown, the score was 31-14 with only 14:18 to go. So, in other words after the Pick/Pick/Fumble/Punt/Return/TD, the lead was larger and the half was more than 50% gone. Neither the Brady interception, nor the Maroney fumble, were contributing to the loss that was to follow. Events following each miscue rendered each of them insignificant.

I'd have no problem with the team bringing in a theoretical upgrade. The team will need to start with the offensive line, though. The most important run blocker starting for the team is seemingly the oldest and most brittle offensive lineman, and the team's decision to go without a fullback is currently looking like yet another mistake in judgment made this past offseason, given the absence of holes opened up by the offensive line.
I can see it's pointless taking this discussion any further because you simply will not listen to what I have said.

I can see it's pointless taking this discussion any further because you simply will not listen to what I have said.

I did "listen". I read every word. I read them more than once actually, because I respect you as a poster and I didn't want to misunderstand what you were writing and have a needless disagreement with you.

I simply don't agree with you about the impact of the fumble and interception.

I am beyond tired of the Maroney hate around here.

I did "listen". I read every word. I read them more than once actually, because I respect you as a poster and I didn't want to misunderstand what you were writing and have a needless disagreement with you.

I simply don't agree with you about the impact of the fumble and interception.
Likewise Deus, you know I respect your opinion, but it's clear we disagree on the implications of the interception and the fumble. Probably best to just leave it at that and move on.

Personally, I don't think the fumble, or interception helped anything. Turnovers are never good. However I'm a firm believer, that if your offense puts up 30+ points, you should always win. If the D is giving up 30+ points, they have issues. So yeah, the turnovers hurt, and if avoided we win. I just feel that even with them, we still should've won. Am i making sense? Im tired, and im going to stop ranting for one night :D

It was a huge play and inexcusable. Maroney will not be with this team next year. He's just not contributing enough to justify his roster spot.

Maroney's first lost fumble this year, (even tho I'm as disgusted with him as many). Kevin Faulk has done the same in the past and he's turned out OK. IMO, Maroney has done better the last two games since he's been getting more carries. Little more confident sticking his nose out there. IIRC, his hesitancy began against the Colts, when B.Sanders was blasting him. The jury's still out.

I don't buy into this blame one play or a few plays theory. I prefer to look at it like coach does ... all you need to do is make one more play than the other team. Every play has it's percentages of successes and failures ... Maroney did not cost us the game.

Turnovers hurt because its a negative. What Maroney did was a negative and hurt the Pats. No one should deny that. it affected the game. He did contribute to the loss but he isn't the main reason because we still had a chance to win.

All the talk shows up here, TV, this board…it’s all about Belichick’s call to go on 4th & 1.

Admittedly, this call MAY have cost us the game. Certainly, our odds were better at stopping the Colts from 70 yards away than 30 yards away.

But Maroney’s goal line fumble cost us the game, let there be no doubt about it.

Even if he doesn’t score (which he should have, except for the fact that the kid just does not know how to generate a hard forward push or at the very least bounce it outside and angle for the pylon)...

But if he does not score and just hangs onto the forking ball, we at least get 3 points and the 4th & 1 becomes a non-event because it is a two score game for Indy at that point with under 2 minutes to play.

Maroney is a bust. We all know it. He gives us fleeting moments of hope, but his fumble and his 31 yards on 13 carries as the FEATURE BACK of the offense in a game of GIGANTIC proportions just does not cut it. His four years in Foxboro DO NOT CUT IT!

Up to this point, for those four years, Maroney has basically just NOT helped us, but last night he HURT us and he potentially cost us home field advantage throughout the playoffs.

With all three of our losses in the conference, and two against teams we’ll be drawing straws against for playoff spots (Denver & Indy), last night’s loss was H-U-G-E!

And Maroney gets the goat horns.

Does anyone have Larry Johnson’s agent’s number handy?

LJ has signed with the Bengals.

I guess you have not heard about the unwritten rule 'round here. You can't disparage Lawrence Maroney in any way. Please do not beleive your eyes - it is untrained. He is a good RB. Saying otherwise just shows your ignorance.

;)

Last edited:

LJ has signed with the Bengals.

I guess you have not heard about the unwritten rule 'round here. You can't disparage Lawrence Maroney in any way. Please do not beleive your eyes - it is untrained. He is a good RB. Saying otherwise just shows your ignorance.

;)

That's not it at all but two peas in a pod like yourself and Armen are too blinded by arrogance to ever grasp that. Maroney made a physical mistake. Belichick realizes all players will from time to time. It was his second career fumble. Faulk had quadruple that early on. And it took one tremendous helmet hit to cause it. The Colts promptly went 3 and out and were forced to punt, which allowed for Welker to be fielding the kick which he returned 69 yards to the 6. Moss scored the ensuing TD. So it was an even exchange. Brady threw a pick in the EZ as well and that didn't cost us the game. Failure to convert on 3rd down twice in the redzone resulting in settling for FG's or the inability to sustain a drive coming out of halftime and lousy clock management and questionable decision making/playcalling on 4th and 2 as well as the decision to play prevent down the stretch contributed a lot more to the loss than either turnover since the Colts did not capitalize on those.

Hahaha....as stated, critisizing Maroney shows true ignorance. Defending him 'till you are blue in the face shows true intelligence and superior football knowledge. I hope science does allow you to have his baby someday, MoLew.

Hahaha....as stated, critisizing Maroney shows true ignorance. Defending him 'till you are blue in the face shows true intelligence and superior football knowledge. I hope science does allow you to have his baby someday, MoLew.

Living proof ignorance is indeed bliss, I guess...hahahaha:rolleyes:

That's why kneejerks always play the victim card when they can't participate in rational discussion of a topic. People don't disagree with you because they love what you attack, they disagree with you because your contentions are generally ridiculous.

Eight pages of posts on this topic and not one mention that the offensive line allowed penetration on this play. A freed up Colt put his lid squarely on the ball. Was it just a great play by Indy, a poor blocking scheme, or personnel not suited for the power game. I choose the latter. As I stated in another thread, the center of the line has been knocked backwards too often this year...just watch half of LoMo's carries this year. I saw the NG getting around Koppen frequently. This line may be too one dimensional...hence the red zone failures.

Eight pages of posts on this topic and not one mention that the offensive line allowed penetration on this play. A freed up Colt put his lid squarely on the ball. Was it just a great play by Indy, a poor blocking scheme, or personnel not suited for the power game. I choose the latter. As I stated in another thread, the center of the line has been knocked backwards too often this year...just watch half of LoMo's carries this year. I saw the NG getting around Koppen frequently. This line may be too one dimensional...hence the red zone failures.

A lot of us have been saying it's all of the above for a while now, Bill seems to believe it's the OL, but it's easier to just blame Maroney...;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News