PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why isn’t anyone talking about Maroney’s fumble?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Why isn’t anyone talking about Maroney’s fumble?

Living proof ignorance is indeed bliss, I guess...hahahaha:rolleyes:

That's why kneejerks always play the victim card when they can't participate in rational discussion of a topic. People don't disagree with you because they love what you attack, they disagree with you because your contentions are generally ridiculous.

Interesting thoughts from an intelligent gentleman with a questionable sense of humor. I especially enjoy the way you attack my intelligence and character. Lord knows that a messageboard is a great way to meet and judge people (eye roll). Lighten up, Alice!

I do not like Maroney's skills set at RB, obviously....but there's nothing knee-jerk about my reaction. I've been singing this song for a while now. I do find your over-the-top defense of Maroney curious...and I have come to my own conclusions about that.

Anyway, that fumble of his was awful and untimely....but as I had stated in another thread, that's not why we lost. Although - gosh, it would be nice to have a decent running game in order to keep the defenses honest. I mean, if that fourth and 2 call meant that BB does not trust the defense (which I do not agree with) than I suspect that the 3-2 call meant he does not trust the running game. Just sayin'.

Last edited:

Don't even bother with Garbanza. She's only a slightly more articulate version of DWToys.

Don't even bother with Garbanza. She's only a slightly more articulate version of DWToys.

LOL!!!

If it's any consolation, I think Maroney ran hard against Indy. He's, unfortuantely, at best a mediocre back. This opinion offends you and your ilk. Too bad.

Re: Why Isn’t Anyone Talking About Maroney’s Fumble?

Its awful .

We are at the same point that in 2006 , when Maroney makes a fumble @ Indy ( Mankins TD)

''Calm down he neeeds time and experience ''

For god shake, he is a dancer and a poor player , he plays like ****

Bill seems to believe it's the OL, but it's easier to just blame Maroney...;)

Just like it seems to be easier for you to blame the O-line and give Maroney a free pass b/c of BB's comments about needing to do a better job in run blocking. ;) For someone who hates black and white thinking, this is pretty much what you're doing here.

Your posts are probably the best on this forum, and I know that you have put in your share of (tepid) criticism of Maroney in the past, but it is starting to feel like you do have some kind of agenda in defending Maroney rather than just shooting down kneejerk posts. Do you have any other purpose in defending him other than just stating your ("well-informed") opinion on the matter?

Last edited:

When is the last time Maroney fumbled before this? I honestly can't remember. He's usually pretty safe with the ball.

I take offense to that. DWToys is a family member of mine. Apparently he is some sort of distant cousin of his since he always calls me one.

Just like it seems to be easier for you to blame the O-line and give Maroney a free pass b/c of BB's comments about needing to do a better job in run blocking.

How is blaming 5 guys not working as a cohesive unit easier than blaming 1?

Its obviously easier to just say maroney isnt running tough and be done with it. Than to objectively pick apart the problems with the point of attack of an entire O-line.

I was totally down with the idea when maroney was "dancing" before contact @ the los.....But pls don't keep calling him the problem when its clear he was not. He ran hard against the colts if you wanna blame someone blame the push @ the line you can even blame the play caller for not calling more run in the 4th especially the 3rd and 2 which we all know was a colossal mistake if your planning on going for it on 4th down on your own 30.

I don't think Maroney is devoid of blame, but it seems pretty clear that even with Taylor or Morris were in that the run blocking is an issue. As good as the pass protection has been, the run blocking has been spotty.

In many cases, the RB gets too much blame or credit when the guys up front blocking for him are either opening huge holes or allowing defenders into the backfield.

I think there is a lot of blame to go around when Maroney fails to make a positive play. On his fumble, the o-line is not at fault. But there were a few times that Maroney ran hard to the line and got hit in the backfield and turned a 2 yard loss into a one yard gain. He actually makes a good play saving loss of yards and he gets slammed on this board for only getting one yard.

The fumble cost us NOTHING!!!

Do you understand? Nothing there were no swing points the other way we scored on the very next drive so please I know your actively seeking someone to blame.

Me.... I'd like to blame poor play-calling and emo decisions in the 4th. My highschool coach couldve figured out the right decision was to run on 3rd and 2. If anything I would say it was lack of faith in the run-blocking. BB is not blind like some of u guys if you cant see a change in maroney from now and week 1.

Great post Rob that rant wasn't directed at you

Me.... I'd like to blame poor play-calling and emo decisions in the 4th. My highschool coach couldve figured out the right decision was to run on 3rd and 2. If anything I would say it was lack of faith in the run-blocking. BB is not blind like some of u guys if you cant see a change in maroney from now and week 1.

Just as easily could have been a lack of faith in Maroney, especially after he had made a critical mistake in not securing the ball as he was darting into the endzone in what would have sealed a huge road win. You're right, BB is the one who best knows Maroney's strengths and weaknesses, and perhaps a lack of confidence at times is Maroney's biggest. He also was limping off the field after one play in the 4th quarter.

I have been posting about the positive direction Maroney is going lately in terms of decisiveness, running hard into the hole, and bulling his way through defenders. I'm not a Maroney hater, but like a lot of others, i get sick of making excuses for him when sh!t like this happens (even when it's only his second fumble this season). So I'll concede the blame game never runs more rampant than it does with Maroney.

I've had enough of the Maroney defending. The dude is a disappointment in so many ways, unfortunately the fumble wasn't the worst thing that happened in the game although at the time I thought so.

Our ******* defense is pathetic against the Colts. We just fold against Manning when we just need one stop to seal the deal.

Just as easily could have been a lack of faith in Maroney, especially after he had made a critical mistake in not securing the ball as he was darting into the endzone in what would have sealed a huge road win. You're right, BB is the one who best knows Maroney's strengths and weaknesses, and perhaps a lack of confidence at times is Maroney's biggest. He also was limping off the field after one play in the 4th quarter.

I have been posting about the positive direction Maroney is going lately in terms of decisiveness, running hard into the hole, and bulling his way through defenders. I'm not a Maroney hater, but like a lot of others, i get sick of making excuses for him when sh!t like this happens (even when it's only his second fumble this season). So I'll concede the blame game never runs more rampant than it does with Maroney.

the point swing was a wash. the pats forced the colts to punt after the fumble. welker returned the punt to the 5 or so and Brady threw it to Moss for the TD. There is no way you can say that a TD by Maroney would have sealed the game.

on another note, that was the second fumble of his career.

Last edited:

In his three years as a Patriot,Maroney was finally a big part of determining a Patriots game with a big play......

.....on the negative side :bricks:

In his three years as a Patriot,Maroney was finally a big part of determining a Patriots game with a big play......

.....on the negative side :bricks:
Brady was on the negative side of a big play on the Colts side of the field too....

Interesting thoughts from an intelligent gentleman with a questionable sense of humor. I especially enjoy the way you attack my intelligence and character. Lord knows that a messageboard is a great way to meet and judge people (eye roll). Lighten up, Alice!

I do not like Maroney's skills set at RB, obviously....but there's nothing knee-jerk about my reaction. I've been singing this song for a while now. I do find your over-the-top defense of Maroney curious...and I have come to my own conclusions about that.

Anyway, that fumble of his was awful and untimely....but as I had stated in another thread, that's not why we lost. Although - gosh, it would be nice to have a decent running game in order to keep the defenses honest. I mean, if that fourth and 2 call meant that BB does not trust the defense (which I do not agree with) than I suspect that the 3-2 call meant he does not trust the running game. Just sayin'.

Go back and read the sequence of posts. I'm not defending Maroney, I'm simply pointing out all the other events that had greater impact on the loss than either turnover. Neither of which led to points for the Colts.

A long time ago I opined that Maroney was an ill concieved pick for a team unable to commit to run blocking. You don't draft a thoroughbred to pull a plow. But Bill has chosen to live with that pick and that is not Maroney's fault. He's been injured repeatedly in the process, and that is not his fault either.

Corey Dillon at his most motivated was able to run behind this line when due to the alternatives it was mandatory this team be able to. That is why he was selected to replace Smith. Bill knew the status quo was not going to cut it in a league where if you aren 't getting better you're getting worse because everyone else is adjusting and adapting to stop you and your system QB throwing to smurf WR's in part because your TE's are always dinged up from blocking or they struggle to sight adjust and catch the ball. Unfortunately after one year of carrying the load, Dillon was TOAST. 2005 is like the forgotten season here...

Maroney was brought in to add another dimension to the run game in hopes Dillon could rebound somewhat and provide thunder to his lightening in split reps. Only problem was the blocking scheme the HC had determined he wanted to employ, one designed for home run hitting in the ground game, proved to be one this OL could not master absent wholesale substitutions that were too unwieldy to manage from the sidelines per the man himself. So they continued with the power blocking and run game for that season as they also dealt with the loss of Branch and Givens, and in the end Dillon was a shell and tapping out at the most inoportune times and Maroney was playing hurt as a result of misuse and Reche Caldwell was our #1WR which would prove to be an unfortunate turn of events in the AFCC since as our defense was collapsing down the stretch our offense was unable to cover for that already recurring theme (that some of Bill's former players seem to have disremembered...). 2005 and 2006 are as much a part of this teams defensive history as 2003 and 2004 are...

Too many here assumed when they drafted Maroney that the goal was for him to replace Dillon. Ergo he has never lived up to their expectations. That was fairly obviously in hindsight never Bill's intention. He saw the 2 back trend as the way of the future and he preferred those backs provide alternate and complimentary skillsets. Power and breakaway speed. Pick your poison. Morris was brought in not because of Maroney but because they CUT Dillon and needed to replace what he was intended to provide in short yardage.

Kinda like the situation Bill created in 2007 when he signed the ultimate deep/outside threat and what turned out to be the ultimate underneath/slot receiver. You can stop one thing or another on defense. You can't stop it all. To cover for an aging, injury prone defense he had not yet been able to find a way to transition beyond, Bill Belichick's best defense became an overpowering offense. It might have worked except that Morris, who was brought in to replace what a toasted Dillon could no longer remotely provide in short yardage situations, was lost early on and while Maroney was able to shoulder the load come playoff time, the OL got thoroughly manhandled in pass protection in the one game that mattered most and the overpowering offense fizzled while the defense again collapsed down the stretch.

Then speaking of shoulders, Maroney's broke early in the 2008 season. Damn him... Why couldn't he be durable and dependable like Dillon and Morris and the guy he brought in as insurance against loss or ineffectiveness in another season from the other two, Taylor...oh wait...:ugh:

We were unable to win a Superbowl with Brady's much maligned backup stepping in from week 1 on. This was clearly due to Maroney being made of glass.

To underscore that for anyone who still had doubts, for the hell of it Bill canned the FB altogether in Brady's comeback season. And chose to pass on 3rd and 4th and 2...

All of this is clearly Maroney's fault. Everything is. :rolleyes:

maroney sucks,If we had morris game over there.I hope we rematch and we got are guys healthy and they get there 2 injjured guys back and well see who wins;)

Thank you for your post. A much clearer picture as to why you have your point of view.

Some things I don't understand though:

1) if Bill thought that the two back system was the future - but that run blocking was an issue - why eliminate the fullback position? Why not wait a year and see if the run blocking by the o-line had improved first?

2) Me thinks that Dillon was TOAST after one year not so much because of over-use, but more because of age, over-use in Cincy and lack of motivation - dude got his ring, you know?

3) BB doesn't strike me as the type that has a hard time cuting his losses quick or making adjustments quick. So why hasn't he drafted an other viable RB in the early rounds of the draft? Why not emphasize run-blocking in camp? I thought Scar was a genius? Was he afraid that the emphasis would get Brady killed - simply because the pass blocking may suffer? And if this was the case - again, why eliminate the fb?

4) Personally, I think the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle. The o-line has it's issues - and so does Maroney. But lets be real here. The Pats short passing game truly is an extension of the run game.

5) Scouting may be an issue here?

Last edited:

Second fumble of his CAREER, not the season (that was the only of the season). 482 carries, 2 fumbles. Let's start getting sick of "making excuses for him when sh!t like this happens" though...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back