PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why Injuries Matter: a new theory

Status
Not open for further replies.

shakadave

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I haven't heard it put quite this way, so let me unveil my latest theory on why it's important for the Pats not to get a lot of injuries. Often we assume that it's because injuries take better/star players off the field, and replace them with lesser talents. Certainly that's part of the story, but here's another way to look at it:

An injury removes from the field a player who has had time/game experience in BB's system, and replaces him with someone who has had less.

According to my theory --- and here I'll exaggerate to make the point clearly --- we could fill up the roster with $800,000 salaries, and if they could play a full uninterrupted season in BB's system, we'd win the Super Bowl. Notice how by November/December/January we always have about the best defense in football? Players (especially newer Patriots) have had time to experience the learning curve. Injuries disrupt the learning process, but eventually a Randall Gay ('04) or an Asante Samuel or a Eugene Wilson ('03) or a Russ Hochstein ('03) or even an Ellis Hobbs ('05 I wish) can help you win the Super Bowl.

The main problem with a patchwork secondary isn't lack of talent, it's lack of game experience in the BB defense.

Consequently, the draft is important for securing young players who won't get injured as often (and here I'm not positive that statistics back up this assumption). That way, we're more likely to have a healthy year which equals a successful year when your coach is better than the rest!

Last edited:
There are many ways to look at injuries and such...and sometimes the nagging injuries that make it a real questionable situation are harder in some ways..
If a player is out for sure, a replacement can be found; less experience but that is a given...out. It's when there are many questionables that made it so hard last year..to be sure all bases are covered in a game; prepared for all situations. When many are question marks?? It makes it so hard to decide who to bring in and what to do. Again, maybe not exactly what you were thinking, but to me another dimension making it difficult.
Certainly the last 3 seasons have had many injuries more each consecutive year...from 02...which was really comparitively injury free.
Ageisie, the 03 team was a shade older...but the last two years has been about the same...but I believe this year, the team will be younger. I do think there is something to being durable...something some players have not been.
Certainly last year, many were..and did their best..but that can't be the norm at all. If there 04/03 type injuries..things would have been better last year...certainly striving for an 02 year injury wise...would be the best!!

shakadave said:
I haven't heard it put quite this way, so let me unveil my latest theory on why it's important for the Pats not to get a lot of injuries. Often we assume that it's because injuries take better/star players off the field, and replace them with lesser talents. Certainly that's part of the story, but here's another way to look at it:

An injury removes from the field a player who has had time/game experience in BB's system, and replaces him with someone who has had less.

According to my theory --- and here I'll exaggerate to make the point clearly --- we could fill up the roster with $800,000 salaries, and if they could play a full uninterrupted season in BB's system, we'd win the Super Bowl. Notice how by November/December/January we always have about the best defense in football? Players (especially newer Patriots) have had time to experience the learning curve. Injuries disrupt the learning process, but eventually a Randall Gay ('04) or an Asante Samuel or a Eugene Wilson ('03) or a Russ Hochstein ('03) or even an Ellis Hobbs ('05 I wish) can help you win the Super Bowl.

The main problem with a patchwork secondary isn't lack of talent, it's lack of game experience in the BB defense.

Consequently, the draft is important for securing young players who won't get injured as often (and here I'm not positive that statistics back up this assumption). That way, we're more likely to have a healthy year which equals a successful year when your coach is better than the rest!

The problem is that the younger players have gotten hurt often. Scott, Gay, etc. I see what your saying, but i guarentee BB isn't planning to win that way. He would rather see Rodney on the feild all season long. I think it is more of a result of having BB and SP drafting quality depth, not a strategy to combat injuries.

don't know how to address it, other than keeping a reserve under the cap and building depth in the roster, but you're always going to have injuries...just hopefully not the level that we've had recently -- I really don't think the media has made enough of what they've had to endure.

It's a simple equation, Injuries+Duane Starks = no homefield in '05.

That D was missing 3 potential Hall of Famers at the same time: Sey, Bru, Rod...not to mention the taped up O-line, the street FA experiment at RB that pretty much lasted one game...etc. good news is we "discovered" Hobbs, Kaczur, and I was also content with Hawkins.

hopefully a "lighter" schedule and the fact we don't have an X on our backs anymore will help a little. I have two prayers for '06: a consistent ground game and fewer injuries...if we get help with either of those I don't see how anyone could doubt our chances.

Last edited:
All things being equal, with all teams suffering equal injuries - the Patriots are built to have a distinct advantage in terms of quality middle class depth.

The problem is, during most seasons, all things are NOT equal.

Some teams have a ton of injuries - others have none. Sometimes a mediocre team avoids injury and peaks down the home stretch (2001 Patriots?) ... Sometimes a great team suffers signficiant injuries but their depth carries the day (2004 Patriots) and sometimes a great team just suffers signficant injuries and can't make it past a great team that has avoided injuries (2005 Patriots)

I like the Patriots system obviously, but teams that take an all or nothing approach investing most of the payroll into their starters, banking on the fact that they have a healthy season can sometimes get lucky and have everything work out to their advantage.

the taildragger said:
I really don't think the media has made enough of what they've had to endure.
That D was missing 3 potential Hall of Famers at the same time: Sey, Bru, Rod...not to mention the taped up O-line, the street FA experiment at RB that pretty much lasted one game...etc. good news is we "discovered" Hobbs, Kaczur, and I was also content with Hawkins.
I totally agree!! I think BB deserves HIGH HIGH praise not only for finding the pieces to the puzzle and gettng the team into the playoffs, but for all the decisions with players..questionables...not being sure. Those moves, to be sure the 4th tackle..the ST are all intact and backed up. Big kudos for a GREAT coaching job!!!!

I don't know whether I agree with the theory or not but an additional problem has been the devastating injuries at one position.

You can survive with players who have less experience if they are spread out over the roster but when you have the sheer number of injuries we've had, two years in a row, at one position it's a killer.

BB and staff deserve alot of credit for their ability to succeed despite the injuries.

Hoodie said:
I don't know whether I agree with the theory or not but an additional problem has been the devastating injuries at one position.

You can survive with players who have less experience if they are spread out over the roster but when you have the sheer number of injuries we've had, two years in a row, at one position it's a killer.

BB and staff deserve alot of credit for their ability to succeed despite the injuries.
I think that is very true...in 03..there were some D injuries in the middle..(Washington, Johnson) and later in the year, WR...but in 04..DBs and worse in 05 DBs...but also RB and the OL..but in one area..yes!! THAT makes it worse..!!

don't know how to address it, other than keeping a reserve under the cap and building depth in the roster, but you're always going to have injuries...just hopefully not the level that we've had recently -- I really don't think the media has made enough of what they've had to endure.

It's a simple equation, Injuries+Duane Starks = no homefield in '05.

hopefully a "lighter" schedule and the fact we don't have an X on our backs anymore will help a little. I have two prayers for '06: a consistent ground game and fewer injuries...if we get help with either of those I don't see how anyone could doubt our chances.

Yes of course having injuries is a key factor in why any team may win or lose. Although the Pats as everyone knows have pushed threw it more than once and are more than capable of doing it again.But to say that just because of last years playoff loss indicates to anyone that the "X" as you put it is off our backs is not only foolish but ridiculous. If winning 3 out of the last five superbowls and how great we play at home isn't enough. Not to mention if me as just a fan can see that the best quarterback in the NFL is only getting better each year, with a healthy run game and a "light schedule". I believe every team in the NFL is still marked us as the biggest threat on any given week. Also once were in the playoffs we are the most watched team even with a beat up team like we had last year.

A mitigating factor to the injury-prone secondary has been the "Shadow Roster" captained last yr. by our man HANK Poteat! Hopefully he will stick this yr. but if not, hopefully he will be available if needed.

Besides lack of experience in BB's system,which leads to mistakes, players new to the system (any team's system but especially the Pats) do not always know how their teammates will react, and their teammates do not know how they react. An offensive line that has worked together for a whole year picks up stunts without needing to tell each other what they are doing (often no time to explain and too much noise in away games) Same for defense. How many times have we blamed guys for getting burned when they should have had help that wasn't there due to misunderstanding of who should go where.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes