PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why I Think Asante Will Come Back

Status
Not open for further replies.
No I didnt see him congratulating himself. Would you like to explain what he did?
Ty Law was gone because he was getting old, and had an injury that could easily have been career ending.
No, I didnt see PLENTY OF TDs to the receivers Asante was covering. Which ones did you see? I saw one in the SB. I might have missed some against the Chargers, but I dont think they actually scored any.

He got beat for one against Jacksonville on their 2nd td. Not saying he's not a great CB but hes not worth the money he will be demanding. Only shutdown corners should be paid that way and a shutdown corner is not he.

A$ante broke a reception up in the 1st or 2nd quarter and was then literally thumping his chest, patting himself indicating lookey what "I" did. I've never seen anyone on the Pats D so self-congratulatory as A$ante. He is poison and we will be well rid of him, just like Meion and other showboat types who can't back it up when the chips are down, i.e. dropping that pass in the 4th qtr. I wasn't going to go there but someone else did for me.

Last edited:
A$ante broke a reception up in the 1st or 2nd quarter and was then literally thumping his chest, patting himself indicating lookey what "I" did. I've never seen anyone on the Pats D so self-congratulatory as A$ante. He is poison and we will be well rid of him, just like Meion and other showboat types who can't back it up when the chips are down, i.e. dropping that pass in the 4th qtr. I wasn't going to go there but someone else did for me.

I guess you havent been watching much. Our players celebrate too, they just dont create their own dances.
I guess Tom Brady need to go because I've seen him NUMEROUS times after running for a first down, jump up and give the first down signal, and he always celebrates TDs.

I have no idea what the 4th quarter dropped you are talking about is.

The 4th qtr. drop of the possible and game-winning interception in the big game Sunday night? Were you watching the same game as me? Yo man, you're getting emotional about this. I'm going by straight logic. What is an upper 25%, but not top 10-15% cornerback worth annually in this league? Certainly not 8-10mill/ yr., in my and many others opinion. I admit he is a helluva lot better than the other midget we have out there, Mr Hobbs. Watch the game again, I know I will tom. night on NFLN, and watch him grandstanding in the the 1st half of the SB. Nobody does it better(worse?!). It just indicates to me what this guy is all about, ultimately. And when TB celebrates, it is with his teammates, A$ante was literally in the middle of the field by himself patting himself with no one else around, big difference!

Last edited:
Agreed. Unless its Ty Law in his prime we're not going to pay a CB $7M. Not one who lets a history making INT slip through his hands. Use the money to retain our guys up front with Rosey back the pass rush will make things alot easier for our secondary next season.

thats why we offered that last year right? after 1 good year instead of 2..we offered around $7

Some NFL franchise will overpay for Asante Samuel's services just like the 49ers did last season with Banta-Cain.

Curious as to what the board would consider a fair contract for Asante?

I don't think $50 mil / 25-30 guaranteed (over 7 years) is unfair. But I know that won't get it done.

How high would you pay?

Asante is gone ...There is not much out there fo FA....Guess what????Asante will get his money...Asante hateto see go....He is going to max out his contract....

Asante is gone ...There is not much out there fo FA....Guess what????Asante will get his money...Asante hateto see go....He is going to max out his contract....

You're right. He'll go to some team with nothing around him and get burned all day long. The more I think about it though, the more I think I would be ok with him getting roughly what he has gotten this year. Would that be such a bad deal? He didn't want more money per year, he just wanted a long-term contract. How much worse off would we be paying him that 7 mil amount for 4 or 5 years?

I don't know where his head is right now, or where his agent's head is right now, but I have no idea why A.S. would suddenly want to come down to a demand for $7M/y APY, when his original demand was for $10M/y APY, particularly considering:

1. 1 more year of cap inflation

2. Others noted there is not much out there on the FA market at the position. Hello? Supply? I have this demand...

3. One more year of proof of his level of play. Last year the Pats were being asked to believe based on his word that he wasn't a flash in the pan. Now he's shown them, and played on their terms (for the most part) to do it. Well, that was a luxury they'll now pay for, I would expect, if they mean to retain his services.

So now, here we are, the offseason of truth. And the only reason he'll come back, slash prices to rock bottom, and "take one for the team," is that he can't come that close without it making him religiously convert or something?

I don't think 7M APY gets Samuel.

Addendum: I was pretty pissed at his threats last year, but one of the Projo writers brought me down from the ledge a step or two... she was the one that broke the fact that his tattoo did not say "Get Paid," but "Get Rich to This."

I'm not sure I buy that there's a difference, but her description of the guy was fairly convincing. And for the most part, I am not a fan of calling a guy "me first" in a sport that pretty much pits players against management in the offseason.

Hey, the market is what it is. The threat of a holdout bugged me, but he played. Now the risk is no longer loaded on the Pats, you can bet he'll want coin for that...but we'll see how much.

PFnV

I don't know if this year proved that he is worth 10 mil. He proved that he is better than most, but that's about it. In order to deserve 10 million you have to be darn good. He is only pretty good. I would rather spend that 3 mil on getting a LB core that can get pressure because a good front 7 can make a secondary look that muc better. Samuel still got burned rather consistently. I might be ok with 7 a year, but he isn't champ bailey, and if he wants champ bailey money I will gladly see him go elsewhere.

I would say he is worth 6 mil/yr guaranteed. Maybe 7 if inflation exists ( according to our govt., it doesn't, hahah). 10 mil/yr for this guy is beyond ludicrous. We need inside linebackers, big time.

Off Season To Do List:

1. Release Samuel
2. Release Stallworth, Washington
3. Restructure Colvin or cut him
4. Sign either Dansby or Hobson
5. Sign Marcus Trufant
6. Draft Gholston
7. Draft best available CB in round two
8. Draft best available ILB in round three
9. Draft another CB/S in round three
10. Get some O-line help in the draft

Off Season To Do List:

1. Release Samuel
2. Release Stallworth, Washington
3. Restructure Colvin or cut him
4. Sign either Dansby or Hobson
5. Sign Marcus Trufant
6. Draft Gholston
7. Draft best available CB in round two
8. Draft best available ILB in round three
9. Draft another CB/S in round three
10. Get some O-line help in the draft

Edits:
1. Get Moss Done.
2. Ascertain the Samuel situation. Probably, cut him. Evaluate when facts are available and make opening offer. Don't overpay out of perceived need, but compensate for reduced risk-loading (i.e., better proof he is not "flash in the pan.") Maybe through slightly higher up-front money.
3. Release Stallworth/Washington. Check. Probably. Either can stay with a restructure. But neither of them get the big payday THIS year... if they can cope, keep 'em.
4. Restructure Colvin. Check.
5/6. Evaluate market, all mid-level and higher LBs. Align offer with value based on skill-set at position.
7-11. Draft for best value; evaluate picks in hand versus other teams' needs for added value via trade of picks, or (as in the 07 draft,) rights to players under contract. Disagree that O-line is area of need but if it is area of greatest value, use it to indemnify us against the O-line hit of '10 (assuming cap system does not go away in '10.)

Additional:
12. The Eckel number has to be fake money (1 year, $5.79M.) A rainy-day fund of some kind. well, that means we have to do his real deal. Under a half mill definitely. Decimal dust.
13. You don't dump Willie Andrews? Come on. If Randy knows there's that much weed to be had right in that very locker room... :)
14. Pray like a summabich that Lua positively surprises us. It would be nice to have a low-cost solution at LB.
15. Steven Spach. What the hell's a Steven Spach? Oh yeah. The guy that springs Maroney. Speaking of pleasant surprises.
16. Do we really think Chad Jackson sees the field this year? Well, maybe he moves up to be Gaffney. Maybe. I think CJ might finally just be a plain ol' cap casualty this year. See if we can get a 6 for him.
17. It may be a longshot but if Seau wants to come back, I want to do the deal. Something cheap... he will be 40. But he's shown that his old bones still get the job done. It's not "getting younger at linebacker," but there's room for him on the 53. Give him his million again if he insists on rewriting the medical texts. He's just jealous that Bruschi did it.

Obviously these are all dependent on each others... or at least, the expenditures are dependent on the cuts, plus other cuts. I think maybe the phantom Eckel figure is the rainy day fund for the extra cap dollars for incentives in various contract... just a guess.

Looking forward to watching the cap numbers become more and more official on Miguel's page. We don't look to have a ton of room on the face of it, but it's always pointed out that "you can restructure this guy and get $X million, restructure that guy..." la la la.

So I count myself among those who really don't get the cap, but love to watch it as closely as possible.

But it doesn't look like we'll be the big FA spenders this year, in terms of what's visible right now.

PFnV

This is a very bizarre thread.

Do people think he'll come back for one season at $10 million?

Do they think he'll demand a multi year contract with only $6 million upfront?

He might have failed to maximize his value by missing a game clinching INT - but he's going out to the highest bidder... and it won't be the Patriots.

He threatened to hold out and leave $9 million on the table this season rather than be tagged again in 2008 - and now some think he'll do that voluntarilly?

I don't know what Asante will get on the open market - maybe $18 - $22 million guaranteed on a multi-year deal... which I'd say is overpaying for a very talented but vertically challenged CB.

Why on earth would he give that up to stay here for significantly less, or for just a one year contract.

None of you would do that - let's not expect him to either.

Money talks.......and that green stuff won't be coming from Foxboro. He is not worth the $7 Mill/yr.

Invest the draft 4 picks in rd 1-3 in 2 CB's athletic CB's, and 2 pass rush LB type (Gholston/Harvey) and play these guys from day 1 and not wait until SB to parade them out for the first time. Move Vrabel inside. Add Victor Hobson or Dansby as ILB.

Colvin-Vrabel-Hobson/Dansby-AD (bench: Gholston/Harvey, and 3rd Rd pick, Woods, ST guy). AD can be hybrid ILB/OLB
Seymour-Wilfork-Warren (Green, Smith, Wright)
CB....select CB in Rd 2 and Rd 3 (Oak pick)

There's your revamped D front 7 that should be able to play 2 gap as well put decent pressure.

7 mil a year?? Your gonna have to pay him around 8 or 9 mil a year. Look at the deal Clements got last year. Samuel will demand the same amount.

9 mill/yr??!! Let's put this in perspective. What did Moss make this year 3-4mill? How about AD, 6 mill, I think? You're telling me A$ante is worth double Moss or 3-4 mill more than AD? Hahah. Ain't gonna happen.

I don't know if this year proved that he is worth 10 mil. He proved that he is better than most, but that's about it. In order to deserve 10 million you have to be darn good. He is only pretty good. I would rather spend that 3 mil on getting a LB core that can get pressure because a good front 7 can make a secondary look that muc better. Samuel still got burned rather consistently. I might be ok with 7 a year, but he isn't champ bailey, and if he wants champ bailey money I will gladly see him go elsewhere.

Totally agree. Also, even having a "shutdown" corner (i.e. champ bailey) isn't guaranteed to give you a good defense. See Denver's D this year. Also see how Denver performed against the Colts with Champ Bailey.

I'd like to have Samuel back for the consistency. However, Samuel isn't close to being a shutdown corner and I'd prefer to spend the money in other areas that need it rather than tie up a lot of money on a player who isn't as good as advertised and whose impact on a D isn't overwhelming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe