PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why does the league want to ruin the game: NFL may negate TD on taunting penalties

And yet PI is still a spot-foul instead of a 15-yarder but let's address something that gets people interested and talking about the NFL instead because we're old and have no idea what fans care about.

Does anyone have a rational answer on why the league cares about taunting so much? I don't understand who that's hurting.

College has the same rule, remember the first time it was ever called (according to CBS at the time) was on a PUNTER, Brad Wing for LSU :D

Taunting as ridiculous as what Golden Tate did should be called back though because there's just no need for it.

PI should be available for coaches to challenge too, they should also do away with the BS QB underthrows the pass and a WR runs into a DB coming back to the ball being DPI...that is a joke of a rule.

The ideas coming out of the league office just keep getting more and more idiotic...

I don't think this new proposed rule goes far enough. I think the player flagged with violation should be summarily executed by firing squad in the end zone.

And yet PI is still a spot-foul instead of a 15-yarder but let's address something that gets people interested and talking about the NFL instead because we're old and have no idea what fans care about.

Couldn't you just run over a guy then if you can't stop him from catching it and only give up 15yds? That seems like a bad idea. Reviewable would be nice.

Does anyone have a rational answer on why the league cares about taunting so much? I don't understand who that's hurting.

Bullying. We must be Nice and Respect all human beings.

Couldn't you just run over a guy then if you can't stop him from catching it and only give up 15yds? That seems like a bad idea. Reviewable would be nice.

Flagrant PIs are the result of getting beat, I don't see any player in good position committing a flagrant PI because it's "just" 15 yds. I'd say that offenses take more advantage of PI with blatant underthrows that are little more than throw aways with the hope of drawing a PI.

If you start forcing every player to be a good sport, how will you distinguish who the genuinely good sports are?

Pretty much all taunting is stupid and unnecessary, but it would take a post of PatsfanKen proportions to outline all of it, however the rules are just as stupid and only lead to bigger problems, like the better team losing because of a bad call based on taunting rules. All they have to do is keep the current rules and tell teams that they want it to stop and want coaches to address it so they don't have to make more stupid rules.

The real thing that is going to ruin the game is the insistence by the NFL and its owners to go to an 18 game season and expanded play-offs. Nothing could be more clear from the beating these players have taken this season that there is absolutely no room for more games for these players, they have maxed out, and creating a longer season is going to ruin careers and cause even more serious health problems for them down the road. It is the worst idea this league has ever had, but unfortunately unmitigated greed is a hard opponent to overcome, and the owners are seemingly hell bent on succumbing to it. A real shame, they are going to ruin a really good game and league.

It's a 15 yard penalty in college and DB's there don't just run over WR's before the ball gets there.

It's a 15 yard penalty in college and DB's there don't just run over WR's before the ball gets there.

Seriously. People talk like a DB's preference is to get a 15 yarder, like it's nothing. 15 yards is HUGE in a drive. If a player is in position to tackle a guy before the ball arrives, chances are he's in decent enough position to try a legitimate defensive play.

I don't think this new proposed rule goes far enough. I think the player flagged with violation should be summarily executed by firing squad in the end zone.

Hopefully they start calling back TDs that aren't pretty enough too. I'd like to see 5 judges that rate the TD on a 1-10 scale. In order for the TD to count you have to score at least a 40. If you score under a 20 the TD is negated and the ball is given to the other team at the 20. If you score between a 20-40 then you get another chance, but this time a score of less than a 40 will result in the other team getting the ball at the 20.

Actually scratch that. I think it should be done more american idol style. Man think about how much fun it'd be to be able to text in whether a TD should count!

I guess that makes sense. I think the ruling is right that if you interfere it should basically counts as a catch from there, but they should be able to review it. I dunno tho maybe 15 would be better.

Pretty much all taunting is stupid and unnecessary, but it would take a post of PatsfanKen proportions to outline all of it, however the rules are just as stupid and only lead to bigger problems, like the better team losing because of a bad call based on taunting rules. All they have to do is keep the current rules and tell teams that they want it to stop and want coaches to address it so they don't have to make more stupid rules.

The real thing that is going to ruin the game is the insistence by the NFL and its owners to go to an 18 game season and expanded play-offs. Nothing could be more clear from the beating these players have taken this season that there is absolutely no room for more games for these players, they have maxed out, and creating a longer season is going to ruin careers and cause even more serious health problems for them down the road. It is the worst idea this league has ever had, but unfortunately unmitigated greed is a hard opponent to overcome, and the owners are seemingly hell bent on succumbing to it. A real shame, they are going to ruin a really good game and league.

Agree completely.
Our best recourse as fans may be to pressure Kraft who is a major proponent of 18 games and expanding to London, etc.

If you read the linked article, it's clear that the NFL is considering negating touchdowns only when the player commits the taunting violation before the play is over.

So I'm ambivalent about this. On the one hand, I hate the current rules about taunting. They over-police the players' behavior, and as often as not are called when a player inadvertently commits an act the league has defined as taunting.

On the other hand, I cringe whenever a player I'm rooting for starts celebrating before they reach the endzone. Maybe 99% of the time, it doesn't backfire, but why even risk that one time out of a hundred?

Also, live-ball taunting penalties make a certain amount of sense to me -- between the whistles, you play football. If you want to celebrate and/or taunt after the play, more power to you -- except when taunting delays the game, in which case, I'm all for the penalty.

The league is completely schizophrenic, and it only serves to annoy the fans. Pats-related case in point: Spikes gets fined twice for having the "wrong" colored shoes, Mangold doesn't get fined for a questionable-at-best hit on Talib.

dude-wtf.jpg

I guess that makes sense. I think the ruling is right that if you interfere it should basically counts as a catch from there, but they should be able to review it. I dunno tho maybe 15 would be better.

I'm more in favor of a 15 yard penalty. Spot fouls on PI's are absolutely killer, particularly when you're playing a Peyton Manning-led team in the 4th quarter. ;)

I don't know how often this rule would be applicable, but when I saw that idiot taunting the Rams while running in for a touchdown my very first thought was, well the penalty should be applied to that play, meaning it goes back to the line of scrimmage and is a 15 yard penalty. It happened DURING the play, not after it. I think it was a stupid implementation of the rule. Any other penalty committed during the course of a play negates the play. I have no idea why that did not apply here and it should have.

Now if taunting happens after a guy scores and is running off the field, that would be stupid to negate the play at that point.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back