PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why does the league want to ruin the game: NFL may negate TD on taunting penalties

Personal Foul - Taunting. Loss of TD and American Citizenship.

I'm more in favor of a 15 yard penalty. Spot fouls on PI's are absolutely killer, particularly when you're playing a Peyton Manning-led team in the 4th quarter. ;)

I'm ok with the spot foul if its directly related to the play. I just hate the call when the ball sails 20 ft over their head and they had no chance at catching the ball.

Without the rule you could just clobber the receiver at the end of the game and take the 15 yard penalty and hope for a better outcome on the next play. I think teams would abuse it.

Hopefully they start calling back TDs that aren't pretty enough too. I'd like to see 5 judges that rate the TD on a 1-10 scale. In order for the TD to count you have to score at least a 40. If you score under a 20 the TD is negated and the ball is given to the other team at the 20. If you score between a 20-40 then you get another chance, but this time a score of less than a 40 will result in the other team getting the ball at the 20.

Actually scratch that. I think it should be done more american idol style. Man think about how much fun it'd be to be able to text in whether a TD should count!

Please don't let Goodell see this or it will be in place by 2018.

As for the taunting penalties, I think it ridiculous that there would be penalty for an action that doesn't effect the play on the field in any way. It should be a fine for the player not a penalty for the team. Worst penalty in the book with the second worst being pushing on field goals.

Does anyone have a rational answer on why the league cares about taunting so much? I don't understand who that's hurting.

In todays liberal world it's not PC to hurt someone's feelings.

I'm ok with the spot foul if its directly related to the play. I just hate the call when the ball sails 20 ft over their head and they had no chance at catching the ball.

Without the rule you could just clobber the receiver at the end of the game and take the 15 yard penalty and hope for a better outcome on the next play. I think teams would abuse it.

Eh. For one, like I said, DB's don't do that in college. For another, DB's still mug WR's when they know that's their only chance of stopping a sure touchdown even with the spot penalty for PI.

In 2017 we will be watching the 8th seed London Knights vs the 8th seed Los Angeles Jaguars, both who finished 7-11 at the conclusion of the 18-game regular season, playing for the Lombardi in Wembley Stadium.

The game will end with a spectacular 35 yard, corner-of-the-endzone TD pass by the Jaguars to win the game, only to be negated by the receiver spiking the ball after. The game will then end and the London fans will politely clap for their teams victory.

In 2017 we will be watching the 8th seed London Knights vs the 8th seed Los Angeles Jaguars, both who finished 7-11 at the conclusion of the 18-game regular season, playing for the Lombardi in Wembley Stadium.

The game will end with a spectacular 35 yard, corner-of-the-endzone TD pass by the Jaguars to win the game, only to be negated by the receiver spiking the ball after. The game will then end and the London fans will politely clap for their teams victory.

Oh god, the horror!

NFL may consider negating touchdowns for taunting penalties | ProFootballTalk
Taunting taking back touchdowns. That would be completely idiotic. Anyone remember Troy Brown getting that 1st down taken back for that taunting call(06 maybe?). Tagliabue where are you?

I'm all for it, taunting undermines the game's professionalism. Golden Tate's childish display Monday night is a classic example of what the game DOES NOT need. Sportsmanship should count for something, folks. Otherwise, you've got the WWF in pads with classless clowns like the New Jersey Green Beans and ringmaster Wrecks further lowering the bar.

Gee, here's a complex solution: howzabout you don't taunt? The idea that eliminating taunting will somehow "ruin the game" seems ludicrous to me. If the league is hellbent on eliminating it, make it an offense which results in expulsion from the game.

This is the worst idea ever. It's even worse than those idiots that taunt and do those stupid dances. Jeez!!!!

Taking points off the board because of taunting/celebrating is one of the stupidest notions ever seen in sports. Congrats NFL. You're becoming a cartoon.

Taunting after the play, I agree with you. Points should never be taken away on a penalty once the play is over (aside from the "palpably unfair act" stuff).

Before the ball's dead I don't have a problem with.

I do wonder if the NFL will devolve into Flag Football at some stage in the future? Here I was thinking ICS would take a hold and we'd see stalkers chasing cons through the game zone...

And yet PI is still a spot-foul instead of a 15-yarder but let's address something that gets people interested and talking about the NFL instead because we're old and have no idea what fans care about.

That's a double edged sword. Any pass likely to be completed over 15 yards? take the penalty!

They need to come up with a rule like they do around the endzones. Holding? 10 yards or half the distance.

So less than 15 yards is 15 and automatic first down? Don't know where they go from there.

You must ask yourself some HARD questions in order to divine the TRUE motivation behind this new suggestion.

1)"The NFL is considering" means "ROGER GOODELL" is considering

2)Who does the taunter humiliate? He humiliates the tauntee...the opposition.

3)Which team historically, for the past 45 years, is THE MOST TAUNTED team of failures in NFL history? That is easy...J-E-T-S

4)Which owner of which team gave Blowhardell his ignominious start in the NFL and greased his way into the NFL offices way back when? THAT would be LEON HESS of the NY J-E-T-S.

Since Fuhrer Baddell can't seem to FIX the post season and get his special, prized collection of dimwits, nitwits, twit turds and toe suckers INTO the Super Bowl, he's now going to FIX outcomes based on some nebulous, arbitrary interpretation of "taunting".

So...THAT is why...

The league seems to be confused about what should be a fine and what should be a penalty.

Penalties that give an unfair competitive advantage should be assessed penalties that recover that advantage. For instance offsides would give an advantage so it is a penalty, as are PI, holding, etc.

Taunting has as much effect on the game as a DUI or wearing the wrong color shoes and should be assessed the same way with a fine post game. To add a competitive advantage for taunting applies an asymmetric punishment where no competitive advantage was gained. It is literally adding something new to the competition that makes no sense and intrudes on the age old rules of competition in football.

Why do grown men care so much about other grown men getting their feelings hurt?

Taunting after the play, I agree with you. Points should never be taken away on a penalty once the play is over (aside from the "palpably unfair act" stuff).

Before the ball's dead I don't have a problem with.

Exactly. I don't see why this shouldn't be an unsportsmanlike infraction with some real teeth. It's not going to happen that often anyway after the rule is installed. Antics like what Tate displayed Monday night cheapens the game and is what the league is hoping to prevent from snowballing.

You must ask yourself some HARD questions in order to divine the TRUE motivation behind this new suggestion.

1)"The NFL is considering" means "ROGER GOODELL" is considering

2)Who does the taunter humiliate? He humiliates the tauntee...the opposition.

3)Which team historically, for the past 45 years, is THE MOST TAUNTED team of failures in NFL history? That is easy...J-E-T-S

4)Which owner of which team gave Blowhardell his ignominious start in the NFL and greased his way into the NFL offices way back when? THAT would be LEON HESS of the NY J-E-T-S.

Since Fuhrer Baddell can't seem to FIX the post season and get his special, prized collection of dimwits, nitwits, twit turds and toe suckers INTO the Super Bowl, he's now going to FIX outcomes based on some nebulous, arbitrary interpretation of "taunting".

So...THAT is why...
A rare instance of disagreement here, J. I think taunting -- I'm referring to blatant displays of it, a la Tate on Monday night -- is offensive to all who witness it, including fans. It's just cheap, immature and classless behavior that detracts from the game's professional integrity. I detest Goodell 99-percent of the time, but see no problem with clamping down on this sort of crapola.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back