Should the Patriots cut Tebow?

• Cut Tebow

Votes: 155 64.6%
  • Keep Tebow

Votes: 85 35.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If anyone is watching Seattle/Denver....Russell Wilson displays the proper form for throwing on the run in either direction with touch and accuracy...watch his footwork...Tebow should spend a month in the film room studying Wilson's footwork.

I absolutely LOVE Wilson's game (glad he's in my keeper league). He's everything I had hoped Tebow would be.

If anyone is watching Seattle/Denver....Russell Wilson displays the proper form for throwing on the run in either direction with touch and accuracy...watch his footwork...Tebow should spend a month in the film room studying Wilson's footwork.

Now THAT is what a running QB should look like.

Not as unexpected as you running to the defense of your boyfriend.

Are you saying I'm gay?

I'm skeptical, but I guess I'll have to take your word for it.

For now...

Was that your point, all along? I'm still somewhat confused...

Now THAT is what a running QB should look like.

Wilson is my favorite, of the new young guys. Being willing to transfer for his senior year, and having the cajones to believe in himself instead of wimping into the draft got a lot of respect from me. Unlike Osweiler, who bolted as fast as he could, when they got a new coach in.

But about the running aspect... he's just a great scrambler. Don't know if I'd qualify him as a "running" qb, although it's certainly debatable.

What intrigued me the most about Tebow was combining a power running back (who needs extra defenders just to make sure he didn't get a first/TD), with a competent passing game. Having both in the same player makes extreme headaches for the opposing defense, and I really hope/hoped he pulled it off. Unfortunately, he's completely fallen apart as a passer, and it'll take a small miracle to get his passing up to par. Without the passing dimension, he's just another power back, which is cool, but not all that special.

There's a huge difference between his running style and Vicks, for example. Tebow isn't one of those flighty "please don't hit me" type runners. Corners are often unable to, or just plain scared to tackle him. (see Revis' "business decision" from '11 for a hilarious example) Unfortunately, if Tebow doesn't turn it around, it looks like I'll have to wait another decade or two to see it happen.

For the final preseason game, a fan with a bugle should be required to play "Taps" when Tebow steps on the field as the third string quarterback.

For the final preseason game, a fan with a bugle should be required to play "Taps" when Tebow steps on the field as the third string quarterback.

let me give you ANOTHER,better (IMO) choice....heh...you'll LOVE this one...

http://youtu.be/z_AhSO1iwxk

The Last Blast Of The Blasted Bugler

Iron I do not see it as a negative honestly; when Tebow is cut on Aug 31st he will be in a better place than he was when he got here, he will leave with the ability to take everything he learned from Brady, Belichick, and McDaniels with him, he can continue to work on the things they’ve had him working on for the last 2 months, and if they resign him to a futures contract in the first week in Jan he will be able to work with the staff and trainers for 6 months before mandatory OTA’s take place. That means whether it is continuing to work as a quarterback or he switches to another position he will have the time he needs to prepare for the 2014 season.

Nobody is denying that Tebow has good athletic ability and is a superior competitor; my beef with Tebow fans has always been the expectation that he deserved a roster spot simply for being Tim Tebow. Whenever the question was raised about why he deserved a roster spot every argument was based around what he did 2-3 years ago, which ignore the reality that in the time since his playoff loss to us in 2011 playoffs something has happened to Tebow; if I had to guess I would say being traded out of Denver and then what he experienced in NY has dismantled him mentally and his confidence is nonexistent, but like I said that is just my opinion, no matter what it is the reality is 60 days in the Patriots organization was not going to fix him, so with that in mind if he made the roster he would be taking a spot from a player who was more deserving of the spot, and that to me is not fair, I know it sucks that Tebow had a tough couple of years but a player like Bolden or another guy who clearly outperformed Tebow should not have to suffer because of what happen to him elsewhere.

I hope Tebow figures his **** out; but even if he doesn’t the kid is in a really good place in his life just the same, I would gather to bet he is in a better place than anyone in this forum petitioning for him; he will have other opportunities in football either as a player or a coach, so let’s just look at the positives that are out there for this kid and stop trying to make him something he was never going to be.

Very well said :frown:

I think that this thread about a possible third string emergency quarterback may have just surpassed the Aaron Hernandez threadcount... it passed the "Jets Suck" thread about a month ago.

Tebow the gift that keeps on giving... but he is a very nice guy.

I think that this thread about a possible third string emergency quarterback may have just surpassed the Aaron Hernandez threadcount... it passed the "Jets Suck" thread about a month ago.

What about the immortal Adam Seward? I'll answer my own question the ASeward thread has 800+ posts, so sir you are correct.

Fear not. The Jets will suck more and for far longer than Tebow can fascinate us.

nah...I think it's more like THIS...Pig Alien

alien%5Bpigfarm-22.jpg

Chick on the cover would be a dilemma for my semitic self in so many ways...

I'd be pissed off as a receiver if I were fighting for a job and Tebow was throwing me the ball.

This is true - though I still don't think Belichick signed Tebow because he expects him to supplant Tom Brady at QB. I believe Belichick hopes Tebow can earn a spot on the roster, and contribute to the team without ever being behind center in a game.

He was not brought here for his "passing skills" but as a third stringer who can contribute as an athlete elsewhere (we have kept third stringers who have been far worse overall athletes in the past)

Whether Tebow has shown Belichick enough of that away from the eye of the media and public I do not know - but I do know Belichick would not tip his hand to such things in the preseason

Granted, Tebow contributing in some other way is about as likely as Belichick converting a wrestler to OL, a LB to TE, or a WR to CB... It just doesn't happen (aside from the half dozen times it actually has)

This is true - though I still don't think Belichick signed Tebow because he expects him to supplant Tom Brady at QB. I believe Belichick hopes Tebow can earn a spot on the roster, and contribute to the team without ever being behind center in a game.

He was not brought here for his "passing skills" but as a third stringer who can contribute as an athlete elsewhere (we have kept third stringers who have been far worse overall athletes in the past)

Whether Tebow has shown Belichick enough of that away from the eye of the media and public I do not know - but I do know Belichick would not tip his hand to such things in the preseason

Granted, Tebow contributing in some other way is about as likely as Belichick converting a wrestler to OL, a LB to TE, or a WR to CB... It just doesn't happen (aside from the half dozen times it actually has)

Neal was a football player in HS but choose wrestling, balance and leverage from wrestling translate well to blocking, he was an extreme long shot that worked. Vrabel was a TE in HS with prototypical size to play the position, Brown was a slot receiver asked to cover the slot receiver. There are reasons these players succeeded at other positions.

Can you name what other position(s) Tebow has experience at, what positions his skill set can translate to, what position does he have prototypical size for? And oh yeah, what position would he be an upgrade to compared to the players already there? If you give an empty answer like RB, explain how he would be better than Ridley, Vereen, Blount or Bolden, if TE, why would you rather have him on the field than Ballard, Sudfeld, Gronk or Fells.

Most importantly can you name what other positions he has actually played with the Patriots other than QB? Even in practice? Yet you still want to stick to this imagined scenario where they keep him on the roster so he can be as bad at every other position as he was the other night at QB.

Let's put our 9th string TE in, sure he's never played the position, and really hasn't shown any ability to be able to, plus he doesn't have the size but other than that - perfect fit! Fill in RB, FB, HB (and QB for that matter) and every other imagined position he plays.

Wilson is my favorite, of the new young guys. Being willing to transfer for his senior year, and having the cajones to believe in himself instead of wimping into the draft got a lot of respect from me. Unlike Osweiler, who bolted as fast as he could, when they got a new coach in.

I agree Wilson is very impressive, he has a great understanding of what is going on around him on the football field, and his decision making appears to be top tier, his size was the major drawback for him coming out but his ability to move around seems to allow him to compensate for that. I think Wilson without a doubt will be the 3rd best QB of that class when it is all said and done. Osweiler is not a player that I envision having a strong NFL career, the 4th best QB in that class could actually be on the Redskins as well in Cousins, it really depends on where and when he gets an opportunity to start, but I expect the Redskins to net a great reward for him.

What intrigued me the most about Tebow was combining a power running back (who needs extra defenders just to make sure he didn't get a first/TD), with a competent passing game. Having both in the same player makes extreme headaches for the opposing defense, and I really hope/hoped he pulled it off. Unfortunately, he's completely fallen apart as a passer, and it'll take a small miracle to get his passing up to par. Without the passing dimension, he's just another power back, which is cool, but not all that special.

There's a huge difference between his running style and Vicks, for example. Tebow isn't one of those flighty "please don't hit me" type runners. Corners are often unable to, or just plain scared to tackle him. (see Revis' "business decision" from '11 for a hilarious example) Unfortunately, if Tebow doesn't turn it around, it looks like I'll have to wait another decade or two to see it happen.

Tebow does have a bruising running style; I’m not sure if that is because he doesn’t have the same type of speed as Vick, RGIII and the other elite runners at the QB position or if that is just how he chooses to play. I think Tebow lacks the ability to throw the football as well as any of the others however so it does not much matter how good of a runner he is. Vick is probably the most talented from a physical standpoint to ever step on a football field unfortunately his decision making both on and off the field has always held him back.

I am personally very interested to see the longevity of this class of running QB’s, you saw last season with RGIII and throughout the career of Vick that injuries generally end up being the downfall for these types of QB’s.

Wilson is very, very good he is going to have a great NFL career in my opinion. I do agree that Tebow could benefit from watching him, but I also think that Tebow has been shown the proper mechanics by dozens of players, coaches and trainers over the years, I think that the problem is he is mentally unable to maintain them over continued repetition, similar to a pitcher in baseball unable to maintain their delivery, look at what has happen to Daniel Bard of the Red Sox.

This is what I've been saying. I think this honestly is Josh McD's Pygmalion project, and everything else is "can we find a way to think of it as worth doing until he's fixed... if he's getting fixed."

The reason he's in such a haze is that instead of doing what comes natural, he has to do what he's supposed to be learning to do. It's not easy.

Odds are getting longer.

Maybe they'll do the post-season pickup. Of course (god I hate to get the Tebowites going but...) what if he plays lights-out in mop up duty in 3 or for a half in game 4?

:)

Buck up lil' buddies, could still happen!

Can I ask you what is he fixing him for exactly? We don’t need a starting QB for at least 5 years at which time Tebow will be 31 years old and likely have diminished foot speed and agility which are the strengths of his game. He is also only here on a 2 year contract, both years we also have Mallett under contract as well, so it seems like a lot for work to fix Tebow to have a 3rd string QB or even a 2nd string QB if we traded Mallett in the offseason. Generally the ends have to justify the means and I cannot see what reward the Patriots would possible get out of fixing Tebow that would justify the work it would take…:idontgetit:

This is what I've been saying. I think this honestly is Josh McD's Pygmalion project, and everything else is "can we find a way to think of it as worth doing until he's fixed... if he's getting fixed."

The reason he's in such a haze is that instead of doing what comes natural, he has to do what he's supposed to be learning to do. It's not easy.

Odds are getting longer.

Maybe they'll do the post-season pickup. Of course (god I hate to get the Tebowites going but...) what if he plays lights-out in mop up duty in 3 or for a half in game 4?

:)

Buck up lil' buddies, could still happen!

Jessica Alba will polish my bishop before Tim Tebow plays "lights out."

Can I ask you what is he fixing him for exactly? We don’t need a starting QB for at least 5 years at which time Tebow will be 31 years old and likely have diminished foot speed and agility which are the strengths of his game. He is also only here on a 2 year contract, both years we also have Mallett under contract as well, so it seems like a lot for work to fix Tebow to have a 3rd string QB or even a 2nd string QB if we traded Mallett in the offseason. Generally the ends have to justify the means and I cannot see what reward the Patriots would possible get out of fixing Tebow that would justify the work it would take…:idontgetit:

Good points, But to answer. If Tebow improves and BB keeps him. You have a backup qb for league minimum with no guaranteed money. That is the plus. That's a whole lot more money to spend on other positions.
The "work it would take" is a non issue IMO. The trainers and coaches would be working with someone else anyway if Tebow wasn't on the team. As you know, it all comes down to BB and whether or not he sees something in Tebow and wants to keep him around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents