PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who's your darkhorse candidate to make the team?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vince Redd...the undrafted LB out of Liberty.

I was going to say Redd, although I see that he missed practice due to some kind of ailment, so that makes it a REAL darkhorse situation. :) If Redd is out alot more, I'm going to switch my pick to Gary Guyton (hmmm, I wonder if I can sneak 6 or 7 more names into my post so that I can say "I nailed that one!" :))

Last edited:
I'm going to say Lav Bauta that kid is going places mark my words...:)

I suppose my darkhorse is Alexander. After all most here think he is likely to beaten out by one of the three binkies: Ruud, Guyton or Redd.

Did anyone say Spann? CB has been conspicuously mentioned for his play at safety, a position which is usually more represented on STs than it is among current candidates. Safety depth is marginal this year.

Did anyone say Spann? CB has been conspicuously mentioned for his play at safety, a position which is usually more represented on STs than it is among current candidates. Safety depth is marginal this year.

That is a good call, he could knock out some binkies such as Richardson, etc. BB prefers his veterans much to the chagrin of threads like this...

I have been thinking about the rookies LBs, none of the lower end guys (Ruud, Guyton, Redd) were exactly hot properties at draft time. I know BB will select the best players irregardless or where they were drafted but... in case of a tie I wonder if practice squad eligibility becomes a factor. I am thinking that at least 2 of the 3 would clear waivers making it more likely they are cut with an attempt to re-sign on the PS.

That is a good call, he could knock out some binkies such as Richardson, etc. BB prefers his veterans much to the chagrin of threads like this...

I have been thinking about the rookies LBs, none of the lower end guys (Ruud, Guyton, Redd) were exactly hot properties at draft time. I know BB will select the best players irregardless or where they were drafted but... in case of a tie I wonder if practice squad eligibility becomes a factor. I am thinking that at least 2 of the 3 would clear waivers making it more likely they are cut with an attempt to re-sign on the PS.
I'm going to borrow part of your reasoning: that the LB dark horses are more likely to clear waivers, since BB has a different 3-4 scheme than most and they'd likely have a tougher time catching on elsewhere.

Halfway decent CBs, however, are among the toughest position to clear waivers and Richardson has legitimate NFL speed. If he shows as well as he did last year, he could be a keeper.

The way Bruschi and Pioli talked up Gary Guyton yesterday on Sirius, I will guess him. In reality, I am hesistant to say any dark horse player will make the squad. This team is pretty solid and it will be hard for any dark horse candidate to make the squad. If they do it will either be at LB, CB, or o-line because those are the spots where the biggest questions of depth.

Yes, Spann could make the team. I have TWLEVE players competing for the last three LB/DB/ST spots.

MY CHOICES: Wilhite, Alexander, Izzo
ON THE OUTS: Richardson, L. Sanders, Slater, Aiken, Guyton, Ruud, Redd, Spann, Ventrone

Well, Ruud is currently on the PUP. I think he will be on the PUP to start the season, if the LBs are healthy in week 6 or 7, then I think Ruud will go to IR and spend the year studying the playbook.

I think Guyton vs. Alexander will come down to some preseason action. If Guyton can show some skills in a game setting then I think Alexander will go. We know what Alexander can do at ILB, which is get torched. I would prefer cutting a guy we know will never be more then what he is then risking losing a potential prospect. I felt the same way over the Chad Brown vs. Justin Rodgers last year.

Redd is an unknown. If he makes onto the field and does some good things, then he might stick, if has some injury issues, he might go to IR. If he does not really make plays in the pre-season, then PS it is.

Spann has a chance. Last year he was strugling in coverage, but excellent on ST. If a year PSing has gottne his coverage skills up and he still has that nasty speed on ST, he could make it as 9th DB. Couldn't hurt to relieve Hobbs of his return duties.

Yes, Spann could make the team. I have TWLEVE players competing for the last three LB/DB/ST spots.

ON THE OUTS: Richardson, L. Sanders, Slater, Aiken, Guyton, Ruud, Redd, Spann, Ventrone

Now that is competition! I wish our O Line had the same level of depth.

Certainly a comprehensive list of binkies, I will continue to scan the camp reports for mention of my binkie Aiken. I plan to promote his good plays and skip over any of his slip -ups, it will be very one sided and partisan.

Damn, I actually like Richardson. Spann could be depth at one of our less deep positions, though (and ST).

Not that I'm picking, but I pick Richardson over one or both vets (not including Fernando, who's going to start IMO).

Actually, it might be Spann vs. Sanders, Richardson vs. Webster.

And BB has cut a lot of vet CBs in the last few years. Our last cut last season and the KC guy with the DUIs come to mind.

Last edited:

Well put that way I would set-up like this.

For the 46 man game day roster (3 QB does not count for the 45) I figure 40 spots are locked in.

3 QB............................... 5 DL
4 WR.............................. 3 ILB
2 TE............................... 3 OLB
1 FB............................... 3 CB
3 RB............................... 3 S
3 T ............................... 1 K
3 G ............................... 1 P
1 C ............................... 1 LS

That leaves 6 spots open for ST/Back-ups at WR/TE/FB/RB/LB/CB/S. Of those 6 I figure 3 right now are safe. (4th RB – Jordan, 5th WR – Washington, 4 ILB - Izzo) That leaves 3 game-day spots & 3 inactive spots for ~ 21 guys. My Picks are:

GD: 4th OLB- Crable, 4th CB – Webster, 4th Safety – Williams
Assumes: Webster > Spann, Crable > Alexander, Guyton & Redd

Inactive (-2 OL, -1 DL, -1 TE, assuming everyone is healthy): 5th Safety – Ventrone, 5th OLB – Redd, 5th ILB – Guyton
Assumes: Ventrone > Slater, Guyton & Redd> Alexander & Eckle

Cut: CB – Spann, Wilhite, L. Sanders, Richardson, S – Dillard, LB – Alexander, WR – Slater, Aiken, Jones, Dunlap, TE – Spach, Stupar, FB – Eckle, RB – Green-Ellis,
PUP/IR: LB – Ruud

Last edited:
Thus far, it would appear Guyton has the inside dark horse track. As others mentioned, hopefully he translates this into preseason action.

looks like Wheatley's the flavor of the day. seems like the best case scenario to me right now if he turns out to be The One. (or Bryant, but a rookie CB sensation would be sweet).

[not really talking about darkhorse just to make the team obviously]

Last edited:
I thought that Brady kid from Michigan had a pretty good shot, until I read about how much of a slacker he was in the offseason.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the chances for BenJarvus Green-Ellis making the final roster might have dropped slightly over the weekend.

Last edited:
That leaves 6 spots open for ST/Back-ups at WR/TE/FB/RB/LB/CB/S. Of those 6 I figure 3 right now are safe. (4th RB – Jordan, 5th WR – Washington, 4 ILB - Izzo)

The more I look at this roster, the more I believe this is the year we cross Izzo off the "safe" list. He seems to have slowed some -- his tackles are down significantly, and guys like Woods, Washington and Evans seem to be making more of an impact on the field. And some of those guys also provide good veteran leadership.

If a Mike Richardson or Gary Guyton shines in camp, I'd be awfully reluctant to cut them in favor of Izzo, stalwart as he's been.

Last edited:
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the chances for BenJarvus Green-Ellis making the final roster might have dropped slightly over the weekend.

nice..............lol

Heh. I don't think anyone really thought he had a huge chance of making the 53, but, yeah, those chances dropped just a little bit.

I have a hard time seeing Slater not on the 53; the Pats don't move up in the draft just for shiggles.

Last edited:
The more I look at this roster, the more I believe this is the year we cross Izzo off the "safe" list. He seems to have slowed some -- his tackles are down significantly, and guys like Woods, Washington and Evans seem to be making more of an impact on the field. And some of those guys also provide good veteran leadership.

If a Mike Richardson or Gary Guyton shines in camp, I'd be awfully reluctant to cut them in favor of Izzo, stalwart as he's been.

Agree. Too many LBs with more upside that also play STs (Woods, Crable, Mayo, Guyton). Not to mention that Izzo must compete not with LBs but with STers such as Slater, Aiken, etc. Cannot get younger and faster by keeping the older, slower guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News