PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who would of thought in 2004 how bad the next four years would be

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to say these have been 4 exciting, compelling seasons, regardless of the less-than-perfect [sic] outcomes.

I was one of the few people saying when Brady went down "probably a 9-7 team, maybe 10 wins, 11 is a real reach." I was NOT saying "well that's it, season over." I was really happy with the outcome because it could have gone either way. This year's team showed it's heart just as the 2007 team showed just how good a football team could be, for many many games.

generations of fans have been born and come to adulthood without once seeing their team climb the mountain to the summit. I use to think being a Pats fan made me a better fan than, say, a 'Niners fan. Any ****y can root for a winner. It's sticking with a team when the chips are down that tells you a fan's heart, just like a team that keeps fighting when they're down by 14 shows heart, whereas a superior-talent team stomping a mudhole in someone is just really entertaining.

The Pats have shown many of us both extremes over the ages. God forbid we have to suffer the negative extremes again, but I'll take those 4 years over the QB-less wastelands some of us have seen any day.

2005- Pats lose in a divisional playoff game. Our hated rivals, the Steelers win the Super Bowl.

2006- The disastrous AFCCG and our biggest rivals, the Colts, winning the Super Bowl.

2007- That doesn't need to be explained.

2008- Pats missing the playoffs. Most likely one of our rivals is going to win the Super Bowl. It will probably be the Chargers seeing how the Steelers have already have won one in the past four years.
Bad? Really?!? By any standard other than the 4 preceding seasons, it might have been known as the best period in Patriot history:
  • Three division titles, tied by record in the fourth.
  • Two appearances in the AFC championship in 4 years.
  • A Super Bowl appearance.
  • A 5-3 post-season record.
Me thinks you've been a bit spoiled.

You just have to recognize that the past three years have been re-tooling, while winning years. But that is largely over and the Team is now getting stronger and younger from top to bottom. The 2010 edition could be the strongest Patriots club... ever.

The Offense ended up Four and the Defense ended up Ten. Add a half dozen prime draft picks to the Defense, (we have 13, and five day ones) and it could leap into the top Five.

While the Offense is probably now a One, now that Cassel has experience and Brady is returning.

Perhaps I am in the minority here, but I could care less about the path it takes to get there. All I care about is how it ends, and the endings of the past four years, whether the end of the Patriots' season or the NFL season in general, have been nothing short of disastrous to me.
In that case every season is disastrous for 31 NFL teams each and every year.

2005- Pats lose in a divisional playoff game. Our hated rivals, the Steelers win the Super Bowl.

2006- The disastrous AFCCG and our biggest rivals, the Colts, winning the Super Bowl.

2007- That doesn't need to be explained.

2008- Pats missing the playoffs. Most likely one of our rivals is going to win the Super Bowl. It will probably be the Chargers seeing how the Steelers have already have won one in the past four years.

the last four years have been great, just ended bad. things could be worse, we could be lions fans

the last four years have been great, just ended bad. things could be worse, we could be lions fans

Or you could have been a life long Pats Fans, the problem is sooo many are spoiled with the winning culture here.. and never had the opportunity to really enjoy the 1-15 teams of long ago..

As a very long time fan what we are experiencing right now is all good.. there is no complaints coming from this fan.

The bar has been raised so incredibly high (unlike my team). What did you think was going to happen, though? Did you think the Pats would just continue to win Super Bowls year after year?

I do agree with you on one thing, some of the losses have been gut wrenching.

2006 - The biggest collapse in Championship game history (to Peyton Manning, no less). If you win that game, you would have won the Super Bowl.

2007 - You're 19-0 and just one defensive stop from football immortality, but you lose (to a team from New York, no less).

A play here or a play there and the Pats could have won five Super Bowls in seven years.

Look on the bright side, though. Before BB is done, you gotta figure that he'll win another one or two Super Bowls.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand