PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who will return/leave on the team next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
depends on the direction BB wants to take the team. It's obvious that the Pats cannot afford to keep everyone since players like Stallworth are going to be given opportunities on other teams to be their 2nd WR since he was apart of this years' Patriots. The Pats are looking half way decent with 10 mil under but they have a few players to sign.

I don't think there's any chance of retaining Moss. I think there's a handful of Pats fans that think that Moss won't ask to become the leagues highest paid WR but he deserves it and the Pats do not have a problem to letting him walk. Now, if Moss wants to negotiate those numbers and Brady and many others are willing to take a paycut in order to retain Moss then there's a chance. I'm just not sure if he'll stick around assuming that he'll get the ring.

Asante is gone. He'll probably be the Jets' best corner next year :)

Bruschi, Seau and Harrison are all guys that are probably going to hang them up. What else could they accomplish in their career?

Rosie's probably going to be gone also. He'll be replaced by AD next year. There's just too much invested into AD for him not to be used in his best position. Plus, AD is currently 31 and the Pats want the best out of him while they could get it.

This year the Pats will build through the draft once again. They invested SO MUCH into this year it'll be very very hard to maintain those players. They accomplished exactly what they wanted to accomplish. Plus, the stress of going undefeated, the whole spygate incident, and the media will really take it's tole on some players. As long as Brady is here BB will continue to win.

back:
colvin (although i think i was the first in here to say he may be cut because of his cap situation over a yr ago, but still we need all the lbers we can get)
rodney
moss
gaffney

gone:
seau
bruschi (i said last yr that this would be his last, and after last week i started to feel maybe i was wrong-as he had one of his best games in a long time, but i just think he knows theres just not that much left in the tank, and given that his contract is up might just decide hanging up the cleats is best)
asante (he'll demand close to ten mill per yr, and he should given what clements go. but is he really worth it? i dont think the Pats think so)
kelley washington (he would need a MAJOR restructuring, and i think he'll cash in on being a Patriot. also, he might want to actually be a part of the regular offense somewhere)
donte stallworth (as much as i like him, and he has made some HUGE plays, he has been somewhat of a dissapointment this year. no knock on him, i mean there are only so many balls to go around, but i feel like his focus isnt at its best when he doesn't get thrown to more often. and, like washington would need a MAJOR restructuring)
randall gay (again could cash in on being a Patriot. first time he'll hit ufa. i just have a feeling some team will make a tully banta-cain type move with him. hey, just think if san fran did it, his jersey would sell like hot cakes!)
geno wilson (hasnt been a playmaker since getting hurt in sb 39)

ppl we sometimes forget about:
david thomas
sammy morris

even though we could lose a few guys on the offensive side of the ball we will also get thomas and morris back and should be pretty much set there. as for the defensive side of the ball, that's another story. we really need to get younger and deeper in the back seven. if bruschi, seau, and asante do in fact leave, and with rodney not too far behind we are left with a depth chart of the following:

cb: hobbs, mike richardson, (chad scott maybe, although pretty sure hes a fa) (wow we're thin here if gay and asante go!)
s: rodney, sanders, meriweather, willie andrews
olb: vrabel, colvin, woods
ilb: adalius (moves back), oscar lua, eric alexander

i think one word sums up that depth chart of the back seven: yikes

Rodney is signed through 2009. He's playing at a high level.
Colvin was playing at a high level before his injury, and will be back with an extension that manages his cap.
Stallworth is signed through 2012 at what will be reasonable money compared to other FA WR. His cap fan be further managed through 2008-2009 via roster bonus and salary conversion.
Washington has to be a WR and not just a ST gunner to stay, but is also under contract through 2012. Depends on how they feel about CJ and Gaffney.

Seau will retire with his ring.
Troy will retire.
Tedy may, but may also remain as a situational LB and leader.

Moss will be resigned only if he is willing to take a shorter term hometown discount deal with a split signing/option bonus structure, perhaps heavily incentivzed. He will be 31 next month, so a 5 year salary backloaded deal that is really a 3 year deal would be my guess. I think he takes it. 3 more productive years with Brady and he's a first ballot HOF'er.

Gaffney will only be re-signed if he chooses not to test the FA market and is willing to sign a deal for substantially less than Stallworth's. That they didn't extend him in season might be something worth noting.

Asante will only be re-signed if he is willing to take pretty much what they have already offered.

Gay is likely resigned - possibly an incentivized deal if he starts. Wilson moves on for a fresh start.

Moss -- Stay. He's repeatedly signalled that he won't demand top dollar.
Stallworth -- Go. He's the #3-4 WR here in terms of value. He's go where he's worth more.
Gaffney -- Stay. Obviously.
Washington -- Stay. He's repeatedly signalled he's content with his role.
Troy -- Stay. I know this puts me in a small minority. But I'm guessing he'll get/stay in shape for the shadow roster, and if there are injuries that can mean the real roster.

Wright -- Stay. This one is more likely after he happened to get injured.

Colvin -- Stay w/ restructure.
Bruschi -- Stay. He's repeatedly signalled he'll accept a diminished role, and in that capacity he's obviously worth a roster slot.
Seau -- Stay. I know that again puts me in a minority. But he just loves playing.

Harrison -- Stay. I don't know why this is even a discussion. He loves the game. He plays well.
Wilson -- Gone. When a guy is a consistent healthy scratch and, unlike Troy, can probably get a decent spot elsewhere, he's gone.
Asante -- Gone, alas. However, there's a slight chance his ego will be satisfied by getting more money than he originally asked for, let alone than what the Pats offered.
Gay -- Stay. We'll be short on CBs.
Scott -- Stay. Ditto.

Given that Asante Samuel has had a second good season I would love to see Patriots and Asante compromise on his contract. As soon as we win SB, we should begin serious negotiations. If we stall or flat state a price, Asante is gone. But if we can sit down for open minded talk about him returning we might be able to work something out. He needs to look hard at some of the players who have left and how their careers are progressing. I pray that they try and it works out. But if it doesn't the Pats will still be competive and good luck to Asante.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News