PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who do you want to face in the playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me...it really doesn't matter. We are more than capable at beating anyone in the AFC this year IMO

I don't care about revenge, just #5. I would just assume play a bunch of junior college teams that give us the best chance.

That said, I think the Jets would be our toughest out. They nearly beat us earlier this year at home with most of our players healthy, and yesterday's game wasn't as close as the final score.

The best way to beat us in the playoffs is to do it in the trenches and keep Brady on the sideline. There's two ways to do that:

- Have a great Rushing offense
- Have a great DL

Ranking teams by weight of those criteria (lowest is best) it goes like this:

Jets: RO: 1, DL: 2, Total 3
Bengals: RO: 2, DL: 3, Total: 5
Chiefs: RO: 5*, DL 1, Total: 6
Texans: RO: 3, DL: 5, Total: 8
Broncos: RO 4, DL: 4, Total: 9

That would make the Jets the least desirable matchup and the Broncos the most desirable. The margins are pretty slim so if you throw in quarterbacking, complete defense, and players capable of taking over a game, teams like the Chiefs and Broncos become less desirable to play. Of course, you need to look at specific matchu ps. We matchup great against Cincy all across the board.

At the end of the day it's football and I trust our team to put up a good fight or beat any team. Any Given Sunday is what won us our first Lombardi so we have to remember it works that way for the opposing team, too.

* While I don't think the Chiefs running game is that good, they use a short passing game like we do.

I don't really care about the AFC. Maybe the Chiefs since we've never played them in the playoffs and rarely play them. As for the Superbowl, It would be nice to beat Caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam, or Rodgers in the Superbowl, or the Cardinals.

It's logical that the Cards represent the NFC in the SB, but I don't see them beating Carolina, in Carolina(refs) or Seattle, now that their offense is gelling. The refs are definitely going to try to screw us against Denver, because they have to put another ring on Manning to keep the Brady vs Manning debate alive. I just hope we can overcome it, though.

In a perfect world, I would say: Patriots vs Carolina (14-0 teams always make the SB, right?), Under Armour would throw a party!

In a NFL fixed world though: Denver vs Carolina. Fans who don't watch Carolina games, but pay attention to their record, feel that they are the best team in the league this season. Newton's having a breakout year, probably the league MVP and the future of the NFL (spit). Manning back in full form for the last 3 games of his career and beating "the best team of 2015" sells papers and the game. Storylines for this matchup is bigger than any other one. Maybe Seattle, but they will have played the SB 3 times in a row, not good for Goodell's business.

The Cardinals have been playing much tougher competition the past couple of seasons and imo are a better overall team than Carolina, I think they can go in and beat them at home. Seattle is always dangerous because they know how to win big games and I wouldn't rule them out I just think AZ is better.

Imo Denver is not going to be a factor in the playoffs, neither QB will get it done. I think Pitt was dangerous offensively but their D sucks and now they are most likely out because of yesterday's collapse, I'm sorry but there is absolutely no excuse for losing to Baltimore with Mallet coming off a couch, that's disgraceful. Cincy is solid but has never known how to win when it matters. Lewis can't outcoach anyone. I won't be surprised if it ends up NE vs KC in Foxboro, and payback will be a b.tch for the Chefs, Patriots win the AFC.

if chiefs win the west then maybe jets wont make it past the first round. jets can beat the broncos and bengals on the road i think. jets are a mentally tougher team than those two . From a pats pt of view KC and jets are the teams to avoid - both have good dlines and jets have the familiarity perspective as a division opponent which is a big wild card.

If CIN wins tonight pats lock up #1 seed?

Denver would be the easiest match up. Softest team by far. We'd win by 20+.

Pats win..they get #1

Or Pats can lose @Miami, but Denver would also have to lose at home to SD.

It's basically the old "magic number" formula, and our magic number is at 1 right now, with Denver being the only competitor. Either a win by the Pats or a loss by the Broncos guarantees the #1 spot.

I wouldn't mind playing the Houston Texans one bit in the divisional round ;)

Or Pats can lose @Miami, but Denver would also have to lose at home to SD.

It's basically the old "magic number" formula, and our magic number is at 1 right now, with Denver being the only competitor. Either a win by the Pats or a loss by the Broncos guarantees the #1 spot.

Yeah...but SD is garbage. I am not counting on that one

As long as our players will return from their injuries and can actually contribute I dont think there is anyone who will be able to stop us in the AFC.

Denver, Houston and KC are crap teams. The Bengals cant seem to play consistently for 60 minutes and the Jets barely beat us when we were missing our full offense and all our starting safeties..

More concerned about our players than any AFC teams.

Just knowing one more win could completely eliminate any chance of having to go to denver is huge. If we win on sunday ill be feeling pretty good.

I'm not worried about anyone else besides the team we root for, and they need to improve in several key areas to make a strong run. The team has played much differently since the first half of the season, and injuries are a big part of that, but it's also not going to change the fact that there are issues that need to be addressed.

The team has not played up to the usual standard on special teams, in protecting the QB, in running the ball, or preventing big plays lately. There have been blown assignments, questionable coaching mistakes, and a general lack of cohesion that goes beyond the thought of getting Julian Edelman back. They are playing some half-assed football at the wrong time of the year, and that needs to change immediately.

Hopefully the injury situation improves and we find a groove during the bye week.

I don't really care about the AFC. Maybe the Chiefs since we've never played them in the playoffs and rarely play them. As for the Superbowl, It would be nice to beat Caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam, or Rodgers in the Superbowl, or the Cardinals.

We may be underestimating the Chiefs . . .

Assuming the Steelers don't make it and Manning is done for the year, doesn't that make Alex Smith the QB with most playoff experience among our potential AFC opponents?

Doesn't matter to me. If we're at home, I believe we whack anyone.

Except the Eagles. Fortunately we won't have to worry about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes