PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who are your top 5 favorite Patiots of all time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of curiosity, why do people consistently select players in these lists? Surely Belichick needs to be considered? I love the guy especially given his contempt for the media. Watching a Patriots press conference with the stone cold look in his eyes, the dismissive grunts, the death stares... I can't help but PMSL.

Oh god BB is at the top of mine but my assumption was that this list was specific to players.

BB is by far my fav. More than the top 10 players combined. But, since "players" is the word :

Brady
----------

Law
Willie
Vince
Gronk

Gotta go w SB players.

Meh. You go with the players you have some kind of weird emotional attachment to.

This is about favorites or in my mind entertaining not necessarily the most talented or greatest stats. So my top 5 is gonna raise some eyebrows

#1 Troy Brown: look up patriot in the dictionary and his picture is there. Guy did everything and did it well. Actually look up football player and Bingo is there again. Seemed like every single time you needed THAT play Troy came thru in spectacular fashion. He was never the unstoppable machine Welker was and he will never even sniff the HOF but for my money there has never been anyone more fun to root for.

#2 Bill Belichick: seeing the way he puts the team together year after year and gets more than the parts say they can be every time....just wow. GOAT and IMO it's not even close. No one else on the mount Rushmore of coaching has had to deal with the salary cap, the made up scandals, or the constant 24/7 media attention he has.
#3 Tedy Bruschi: Just like Troy this guy defined heart and the patriot way. Fun and really easy to root for.
#4 Rodney Harrison: really short patriot career but man did I love every min of it. Personally my favorite play in football is the short little receiver going over the middle and a blur flashes across the screen leveling him. No one was better at that then Rodney. Brought a ton of attitude and intimidation not to mention A+ leadership. I loved watching him challenge the other team and getting in their heads.

#5 Drew Bledsoe: this one is gonna get me some **** cuz how dare I leave Tom off but as much as I love Tom and wouldn't want anyone else QBing my team in need of a win Drew still has my heart. I loved watching him play and every pass made you catch your breath. Yeah half the time that was please dear God don't let it be intercepted but the other half was whoa how'd he do that? For pure entertainment value I think Drew will always be number one to me

A prerequisite for making my list is having won a SB in a Pats uniform:

1. Tom Brady
2. Tedy Bruschi
3. Willie McGinest
4. Troy Brown
5. Rodney Harrison

This is about favorites or in my mind entertaining not necessarily the most talented or greatest stats. So my top 5 is gonna raise some eyebrows

#1 Troy Brown: look up patriot in the dictionary and his picture is there. Guy did everything and did it well. Actually look up football player and Bingo is there again. Seemed like every single time you needed THAT play Troy came thru in spectacular fashion. He was never the unstoppable machine Welker was and he will never even sniff the HOF but for my money there has never been anyone more fun to root for.

#2 Bill Belichick: seeing the way he puts the team together year after year and gets more than the parts say they can be every time....just wow. GOAT and IMO it's not even close. No one else on the mount Rushmore of coaching has had to deal with the salary cap, the made up scandals, or the constant 24/7 media attention he has.
#3 Tedy Bruschi: Just like Troy this guy defined heart and the patriot way. Fun and really easy to root for.
#4 Rodney Harrison: really short patriot career but man did I love every min of it. Personally my favorite play in football is the short little receiver going over the middle and a blur flashes across the screen leveling him. No one was better at that then Rodney. Brought a ton of attitude and intimidation not to mention A+ leadership. I loved watching him challenge the other team and getting in their heads.

#5 Drew Bledsoe: this one is gonna get me some **** cuz how dare I leave Tom off but as much as I love Tom and wouldn't want anyone else QBing my team in need of a win Drew still has my heart. I loved watching him play and every pass made you catch your breath. Yeah half the time that was please dear God don't let it be intercepted but the other half was whoa how'd he do that? For pure entertainment value I think Drew will always be number one to me

Bledsoe makes your list but not Brady

:confused as hell:

Bledsoe makes your list but not Brady

:confused as hell:
Like I said I find Bledsoe more entertaining than Brady thus he is higher on my favorites list. Don't get me wrong Brady is clearly by far the better player he just is a little machine like. Drop back completed pass move the chains over and over and over again. Its beautiful to watch in its own way but to be on MY favorite list you need to be entertaining too.

Brady, bruschi, Troy brown, Mike vrabel and gronk.

Like I said I find Bledsoe more entertaining than Brady thus he is higher on my favorites list. Don't get me wrong Brady is clearly by far the better player he just is a little machine like. Drop back completed pass move the chains over and over and over again. Its beautiful to watch in its own way but to be on MY favorite list you need to be entertaining too.

i had to check our your avatar to make sure you werent a packer fan
LOL

IMHO being the GOAT, makes Tom an automatic #1
Dont get me wrong, have a lot of love for Bledsoe and he alone was responsible for making the Pats watchable again, and respectable, but Brady made them feared

Last edited:
Just going with Belichick guys, since that's where most of my Patriots life is from.

1. Tom Brady
2. Troy Brown
3. Rodney Harrison
4. Rob Gronkowski
5. Julian Edelman (and I was the biggest Edelman doubter until 2013 but was gladly proved wrong in so many ways)

Honorable Mentions: Wilfork, Bruschi, Vrabel, Vinatieri, Moss, Welker, Woodhead (wish we'd kept him)

Not old enough for guys like Tippett and Hannah. Number one for me is brady no doubt. after that in no order I would have to throw Troy brown in there, I absolutely loved him growing up. WILLIE And Ty i fought the law and the law won are definitely on the list. After that I guess Gronkowski, but I want to say Bruschi. There was something about being a young kid growing up watching that core win 9 straight playoff games, and 10 straight if you count 05. It was like those guys could do no wrong. I just knew they were going to win. So many memorable plays, (The bruschi pick 6 against miami and and his strip of Rhodes come to mind)

An excellent list! I just have to make a couple of changes, to come up with my top 5, with 3 honorable mentions...
1. Tom Brady
2. Steve Grogan
3. Tedy Bruschi
4. Rodney Harrison
5. Troy Brown

Next: Andre Tippett, Rob Gronkowski, Stanley Morgan (FYI, I started following the Patriots in 1981 - no one in my family is much of a sports fan, but the Patriots captured my attention one lazy Sunday afternoon while flipping the channels on the TV).

Let me be specific:

Randy Vataha
Mosi Tatupi
Tiaina Baul "Junior" Seau
Michael Hoomanawanui
Sealver Siliga

Bonus: Joey Iusefa

Oh sorry, that was Pacific. My fault.

So...
TFB
John Hannah
Ted Bruschi
Steve Grogan
(Sorry Russ, Randy, and Ben...) Gronk.

Patriots w/special good or bad memories for me...

Tony Eason, who got us to our first SB, and turned out to be crap

Irving Fryar, cuz of getting his hand cut in a domestic dispute right before the SB

Sam Bam Cunningham (for good reasons)

Jim Plunkett b/c he was supposed to be the messiah and oh yeah was, in Oakland

Poor Leon Gray b/c it's all about Hannah

Stanley Steamer Morgan

Darryl Stingley, because Jack Tatum is going to hell

Drew Bledsoe for taking his best shot, then being gracious in what could have been a horrible situation, mentoring his replacement, and getting us into that last game

Andy Katzenmoyer, b/c whatever he gave to the NFL he gave to us

Robert Edwards, for that 1 great season, b/c he fought like hell to get back... somewhere, and because he was the beginning of the end for the pro bowl, which is now some weird broadcaster fantasy matchup

and the Canadian GOAT, Doug Flutie... not really, he is barely a Pat

Out of curiosity, why do people consistently select players in these lists? Surely Belichick needs to be considered? I love the guy especially given his contempt for the media. Watching a Patriots press conference with the stone cold look in his eyes, the dismissive grunts, the death stares... I can't help but PMSL.
Favorite Pats HC...Bill wasn't really appreciated until we started winning...but regardless of his W-L record, he's always been a winner as a person, and that's what counts!!

Troy Brown
Tom Brady
Willie McGinest
John Hannah
Kevin Faulk

...Drew Bledsoe (honorable mention)

Let me be specific:

Randy Vataha
Mosi Tatupi
Tiaina Baul "Junior" Seau
Michael Hoomanawanui
Sealver Siliga

Bonus: Joey Iusefa

Oh sorry, that was Pacific. My fault.

So...
TFB
John Hannah
Ted Bruschi
Steve Grogan
(Sorry Russ, Randy, and Ben...) Gronk.

Patriots w/special good or bad memories for me...

Tony Eason, who got us to our first SB, and turned out to be crap

Irving Fryar, cuz of getting his hand cut in a domestic dispute right before the SB

Sam Bam Cunningham (for good reasons)

Jim Plunkett b/c he was supposed to be the messiah and oh yeah was, in Oakland

Poor Leon Gray b/c it's all about Hannah

Stanley Steamer Morgan

Darryl Stingley, because Jack Tatum is going to hell

Drew Bledsoe for taking his best shot, then being gracious in what could have been a horrible situation, mentoring his replacement, and getting us into that last game

Andy Katzenmoyer, b/c whatever he gave to the NFL he gave to us

Robert Edwards, for that 1 great season, b/c he fought like hell to get back... somewhere, and because he was the beginning of the end for the pro bowl, which is now some weird broadcaster fantasy matchup

and the Canadian GOAT, Doug Flutie... not really, he is barely a Pat
Collection Preeze: in '88 Doug had us in prime position to take the AFC, and you saw how close the SB was...unfortunately, was torpedoed by Berry ("Eason is Great! Eason is Great!")

1. Russ Francis
2. Steve Grogan
3. Jon Morris
4. Troy Brown
5. Sam Hunt

Funny story: After running down and catching Grogan's longest, hardest pass for a TD, Steamer made it back to the bench and said to Steve, "Don't...ever...do...that...again...":)

1. Tom Brady
2. Drew Bledsoe
3. Steve Grogan
4. Jim Plunkett
5. Troy Brown

Patriots QBs have always had to be tougher than most. What wasn't Troy Brown to this team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3