PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who are the leakers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MagicMarker

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Let's play a game! Who (next by name, but general area) are the leakers in this deflate gate mess?

Ready?

1. Who told Chris Mortenson about the balls being 2 psi low?
It was almost certainly someone in the league office. Mort said it was a league source and the letter from the league the Patriots got repeated the same numbers. I don't have a name, but it would be in the Kensil/Vincent camp who were at Foxboro and just KNOW it happened.

2. Who told Ian Rappaport the balls were only a few ticks under on the Saturday before the Super Bowl?
Again, it had to be the league office. The Patriots didn't learn this information until March. It gives the first sign that someone in the league office thought something fishy was going on. The leads me to believe there is some disagreement in the league office about this and there might have been some interesting emails going around.

3. Who leaked to ESPN's Kelly Naqi about the kicking balls and the balls going into the bathroom?
Once again, it had to be someone in the league office. Possibly in the group that leaked item #1. The fact that

4. Who immediately leaked to Adam Schefter the rest of the story about the kicking balls and MacNally only going into the bathroom for 100 seconds? Not sure about this one. Could be the same source as #2, or it could be the Patriots. The rebuttal came out so fast, it's clear someone was upset about the story and might have reached out to Schefter, rather than him digging it out.

5. Who leaked to Adam Schefter that Brady was very convincing in the appeal? Speculation a couple of days later was that someone in Brady's camp (Yee or Kessler maybe) might have leaked that info. Schefter is a better reporter than that to write that if it was obviously in someone's cap. Might be someone in the league office who has tried to correct wrong information.

6. Who followed up Schefter by saying Brady still wasn't forthcoming? Again, I think we're in the group of league officials that are convinced Brady is guilty, and who leaked for Mort and Kelly. As far as not being forthcoming, they believe any less than a confession by Brady means he's not being forthcoming.

7. Why have there been no leaks about what Roger Goodell is thinking? Probably because nobody knows except Roger and maybe he doesn't even know. He really wants this to go away -- if Brady would accept two games or one game, that would be perfect for him. Now that the Brady camp is saying "no way", he doesn't know what to do.

8. Other non-leaks - notice that nobody on the record or off the record is defending the Wells Report anymore? Even Wells didn't call another press conference to defend it. Roger himself has left himself an opening where he can accept it or disavow it. Still, I'm surprised nobody has leaked either way what the league office feels about the Wells report.

I wasn't thinking that kind of leaker...more of a leaker to the media.

The NFL did all of this, but did not anticipate the response of the media and public in general.. the unintended consequences of releasing false information.

Do not believe that Goodell anticipated the brouhaha that this would created, as interesting as your question is that has never been a retraction by Mort or the NFL.. so I suspect that this exaggeration of fact was part of a plot gone wrong..

Goodell did not want this outcome and all of the press it has garnered and will garner.. after a year of blowing the Rice, Peterson, Hardy situations et al this is the last thing they wanted.

The NFL did all of this, but did not anticipate the response of the media and public in general.. the unintended consequences of releasing false information.

Do not believe that Goodell anticipated the brouhaha that this would created, as interesting as your question is that has never been a retraction by Mort or the NFL.. so I suspect that this exaggeration of fact was part of a plot gone wrong..

Goodell did not want this outcome and all of the press it has garnered and will garner.. after a year of blowing the Rice, Peterson, Hardy situations et al this is the last thing they wanted.
I have to disagree . Aside from New England, the handling of this fiasco by Goodell and the League office is considered positive after a year of negative. Since the Pats reputation was destroyed by Goodell in 2007 with the complicity of Kraft any punishment of the Pats is considered a positive by the mediots and the fans of the other teams.

I have to disagree . Aside from New England, the handling of this fiasco by Goodell and the League office is considered positive after a year of negative. Since the Pats reputation was destroyed by Goodell in 2007 with the complicity of Kraft any punishment of the Pats is considered a positive by the mediots and the fans of the other teams.

The tide has slowly begun to turn, and eventuality the NFL and all of its Jets Staff will be discredited..

The tide has slowly begun to turn, and eventuality the NFL and all of its Jets Staff will be discredited..
I hope you are right but I doubt it. Goodell survived the Rice fiasco thanks to Mara Rooney and his whipping boy Kraft. Punishing Pats is good business for the League office since they know that gutless Bob will take it up his rear while the other owners and teams' fans applaud

Last edited:
I hope you are right but I doubt it. Goodell survived the Rice fiasco thanks to Mara Rooney and his whipping boy Kraft. Punishing Pats is good business for the League office since they know that gutless Bob will take it up his rear while the other owners and teams' fans applaud

You are oversimplifying the matter... your hyperbole about Kraft borders on hysteria.. he is hardly a "whipping boy" or "takes is up his rear"... while I do not like what he did, I can somewhat understand why he did it and do not agree, but cannot take back what has been done.

I agree that Goodell did not anticipate a) Wells Report being completely debunked b) Hardy's punishment being reduced to the same as Brady's so that domestic violence penalties are now comparable to being "generally aware" of "possible deflation" and c) some media outside of New England (namely Florio and Sally Jenkins) not buying the NFL's party line.
Now he finds himself boxed in with no good options from his perspective. The path of least resistance which he likely will follow is to uphold the suspension saying he heard no new evidence and letting the court's handle it. His sycophants, er aides may have told him Brady has no chance in court and so he will let the court's back him or so he hopes/thinks...Then when a court hopefully looks at this sh*tstorm and throws it put as a travesty, he can be shocked and lay blame elsewhere......

I agree that Goodell did not anticipate a) Wells Report being completely debunked b) Hardy's punishment being reduced to the same as Brady's so that domestic violence penalties are now comparable to being "generally aware" of "possible deflation" and c) some media outside of New England (namely Florio and Sally Jenkins) not buying the NFL's party line.
Now he finds himself boxed in with no good options from his perspective. The path of least resistance which he likely will follow is to uphold the suspension saying he heard no new evidence and letting the court's handle it. His sycophants, er aides may have told him Brady has no chance in court and so he will let the court's back him or so he hopes/thinks...Then when a court hopefully looks at this sh*tstorm and throws it put as a travesty, he can be shocked and lay blame elsewhere......

The Court did it!!! But the NFL tried...

You are oversimplifying the matter... your hyperbole about Kraft borders on hysteria.. he is hardly a "whipping boy" or "takes is up his rear"... while I do not like what he did, I can somewhat understand why he did it and do not agree, but cannot take back what has been done.
I don't understand why Kraft had to fold in such a public manner. There was never an appeal or lawsuit filed so he did not have to withdraw anything. He could have simply just said "I understand that the commissioner has the best interest of the NFL at heart and I have nothing further to say at this time." or a thousand versions of something like that. To do it as a press conference only added fuel to the fire.

I am sure Brady, McNally, and Jastremski are all wondering who are the leakers. If they can ever prove that any of them were from an NFL employee, they have multimillion defamation lawsuits. McNally has a slam dunk lawsuit against ESPN for running a report that smeared him by name that was debunked within a day by one of their own employees.

1. Who told Chris Mortenson about the balls being 2 psi low?
It was almost certainly someone in the league office. Mort said it was a league source and the letter from the league the Patriots got repeated the same numbers. I don't have a name, but it would be in the Kensil/Vincent camp who were at Foxboro and just KNOW it happened.
I used to think this was Kensil, however I am very open to the possibility it was Gardi. Gardi is the one who wrote the letter to the Patriots containing the blatant lie that one ball was as low as 10.1, so I find it reasonable to conclude he leaked the blatant "11 of 12" lie to Mortensen.

I am sure Brady, McNally, and Jastremski are all wondering who are the leakers. If they can ever prove that any of them were from an NFL employee, they have multimillion defamation lawsuits. McNally has a slam dunk lawsuit against ESPN for running a report that smeared him by name that was debunked within a day by one of their own employees.
I was actually wondering what would constitute a measure of proof that the league office leaked the false story.

If Mortensen was ever called to the stand and asked who leaked the info to him, he would refuse to answer. It is one of the sacred rules of journalism, something most journalists would even be willing to go to jail over. BUT, I have to wonder what his response would be if he was simply asked "Did the leak come from a league office representative?" He would probably still refuse to answer but man, when the actual report he filed cites "league sources" he is pretty much pot committed.

What would you call somebody that accepts punishment without precedent on two occasions while praising the person that inflicted the punishment. Perhaps whipping boy is too kind a name. Let me tell you who is not a whipping boy for the POS commissioner, old Woody Johnson. Just compare the punishments and explain why they are that different. I don't deal in hysteria just facts which the Kraft sycophants cannot explain or defend.

I don't understand why Kraft had to fold in such a public manner. There was never an appeal or lawsuit filed so he did not have to withdraw anything. He could have simply just said "I understand that the commissioner has the best interest of the NFL at heart and I have nothing further to say at this time." or a thousand versions of something like that. To do it as a press conference only added fuel to the fire.

I believe when Jones and Snyder got hammered for the uncapped season transgressions (even though they were legal) Kraft was a big part of having these boys take it for the league. I have no doubt that these two, and rightly so, told Kraft to bend over as it was his turn. Oh, for the days of Al Davis and an owner with a pair and some principles.

I believe when Jones and Snyder got hammered for the uncapped season transgressions (even though they were legal) Kraft was a big part of having these boys take it for the league. I have no doubt that these two, and rightly so, told Kraft to bend over as it was his turn. Oh, for the days of Al Davis and an owner with a pair and some principles.
Do you have a link to back up this claim? If he was, shame on him.. especially after how Denver and the Jets colluded to do the same thing via a provision in the CBA.

Do you have a link to back up this claim? If he was, shame on him.. especially after how Denver and the Jets colluded to do the same thing via a provision in the CBA.
If Kraft told Jones or Snyder to do anything it was as the noisy yorkie barking while the big dogs of Rooney and Mara were enforcing . If memory serves Jones and Snyder appealed the ruling. Ironic isn't it how the Broncos repeat violators of the salary cap rules and the untouchable Jets can do things with impunity in Goodell's NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe