PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which veteran player that was/is available would you have wanted most on this team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
With the recent acquisition of Lynch comes this question that you may consider to answer....

In terms of a veteran player, Who did you want the most on this team when he was available as a FA or maybe a disgruntled player on another team who has since left via trade or maybe he is still available right now?

Ty Law? Jason Taylor? or someone else?

I will say the player who was available I wanted most on this years team was Takeo Spikes since I think he is still one of the best LBs in the NFL,Especially in blitz packages and he is a very smart guy and would have made a nice addition but oh,well you can't sign everyone :(

WARNING NOTE: Anyone who says Adam Seward is going to get beeeatch slapped :banned:

Re: Which veteran player that was/is available would you have wanted most on this tea

If healthy OL Charles Bently. He could play ROG and would be a pro bowl player, again if healthy. I was not impressed with the running game last year and thought that our RB's should have been able to pick up a bunch of cheap yards with such a high powered passing attack.

I think next year the Pats will use a day one draft pick on the O-line.

Last edited:
Re: Which veteran player that was/is available would you have wanted most on this tea

If healthy OL Charles Bently. He could play ROG and would be a pro bowl player, again if healthy. I was not impressed with the running game last year and thought that our RB's should have been able to pick up a bunch of cheap yards with such a high powered passing attack.

I think next year the Pats will use a day one draft pick on the O-line.

If it were an OL,I think I would have wanted Damian Woody who was familiar with the team from him time here years ago - He is still pretty good IMO

I would go with either Muhsin Muhammad or Takeo Spikes

I will say the player who was available I wanted most on this years team was Takeo Spikes since I think he is still one of the best LBs in the NFL,Especially in blitz packages and he is a very smart guy and would have made a nice addition but oh,well you can't sign everyone :(

I'm sorry, but if you really think Takeo Spikes is still one of the best linebackers in the NFL, maybe you should reconsider telling other who not to list, like Seward.

Chad Pennington would be my choice, even though he was barely available. The team could still use another veteran QB as an insurance policy.

Are you seriously asking this board this question?

The answer is...EVERYONE. This board wants everyone to be signed immediately after they are released (or traded for if they are disgruntled). Then when that doesn't happen, this board decides that the Patriots are incompetent and the other team stole the player.

But I digress.

Last edited:

If it were an OL,I think I would have wanted Damian Woody who was familiar with the team from him time here years ago - He is still pretty good IMO

If Woody were available now, and willing to accept a short term, reasonable contract, given our needs at OL, I'd be happy to have him here.

But he's still out of shape and can't play Center (well, can't play the shotgun) and the Jets overpaid for him in a big way.

While I still wouldn't be opposed to Ty Law in theory, I question whether at 34 he can play CB - he might be better suited to S at this point and I think we're ok there. Ty never was one to play within a system and between his demands for significant salary and likely desire for significant playing time, I don't think he'll wind up here.

Are you seriously asking this board this question?

The answer is...EVERYONE. This board wants everyone to be signed immediately after they are released (or traded for if they are disgruntled). Then when that doesn't happen, this board decides that the Patriots are incompetent and the other team stole the player.

But I digress.

No they don't. People on this board want to *discuss* any player that is a FA and whether or not they are fit for the Patriots.

Frankly, I don't see whats wrong with this kind of offseason discussion on a FAN MESSAGE BOARD and am always puzzled at the ire it draws from some. Especially moderators ...

But I digress ;)

If Woody were available now, and willing to accept a short term, reasonable contract, given our needs at OL, I'd be happy to have him here.

But he's still out of shape and can't play Center (well, can't play the shotgun) and the Jets overpaid for him in a big way.

While I still wouldn't be opposed to Ty Law in theory, I question whether at 34 he can play CB - he might be better suited to S at this point and I think we're ok there. Ty never was one to play within a system and between his demands for significant salary and likely desire for significant playing time, I don't think he'll wind up here.

Woody was an absolute stiff in Detroit for most of his time there after 2004. There's a reason he was available for the Jets to blow money on. Namely, he was fat and out of shape, got hurt because of it in 2006, and the coaching staff didn't want him anymore as a result. He turned it on for a few games at the end of last season playing right tackle to earn a new contract, and now he'll go back to being out of shape and not very productive. Definitely wouldn't want him here.

I'm sorry, but if you really think Takeo Spikes is still one of the best linebackers in the NFL, maybe you should reconsider telling other who not to list, like Seward.

Chad Pennington would be my choice, even though he was barely available. The team could still use another veteran QB as an insurance policy.

when did you become an NFL scout

Chad Pennington (or another experienced QB).

There is a phrase in my field of work called "Single Point Vulnerability" - the point where one failure brings the whole system down. The only SPV on the Patriots is the QB position, and since it still remains we don't have any security if the unfortunate happens.

I'm not saying that a guy like Pennington could carry the team like Brady has at times, but if #12 is not in there we need a guy that can run an NFL offense and win games. Cassel would be terrible out there.

Woody was an absolute stiff in Detroit for most of his time there after 2004. There's a reason he was available for the Jets to blow money on. Namely, he was fat and out of shape, got hurt because of it in 2006, and the coaching staff didn't want him anymore as a result. He turned it on for a few games at the end of last season playing right tackle to earn a new contract, and now he'll go back to being out of shape and not very productive. Definitely wouldn't want him here.

Like I said, I don't think he's worth $25 million over 5 years - but I wouldn't say he's one of the worst linemen out there either. Are you actually saying he's worse than some of the guys we've been bringing in and that he just flat out can't play anymore?

Brett Farve...:D

Did you forget to take your sensitive-free pills today?

BTW: To answer your question,Maybe you think Takeo is not still one of the best LBs in the game today but can you think of one of our LBs that is MUCH better? - AD and Vrabel are superb but Spikes is pretty damn good as well asnd he would have solidified this group without a doubt.

Chad Pennington (or another experienced QB).

There is a phrase in my field of work called "Single Point Vulnerability" - the point where one failure brings the whole system down. The only SPV on the Patriots is the QB position, and since it still remains we don't have any security if the unfortunate happens.

I'm not saying that a guy like Pennington could carry the team like Brady has at times, but if #12 is not in there we need a guy that can run an NFL offense and win games. Cassel would be terrible out there.

As a backup QB I would have taken Brunell who I think was signed by N.O. this year - I know he is older than dirt but that guy can still throw the ball with some zing,something that Pennington struggles with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back