PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which TE do you most want the Pats to take?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Which TE do you MOST want the Pats to take?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pitta in the 3rd/4th. He is as good as dallas clark, well maybe. gresham has had injuries but if he's available late 2nd, then take him. He won't be though.

Pitta wont last until the 4th and we dont have a third so Gresham with our 1st or 2nd 2nd round pick.

In my mind the best blocker in this draft is Peek of Alabama. In the championship game Kindle was having great success against OT Carpenter early in the game.Alabama moved Peek over and Kindle disappeared for the rest of the game.

Go watch Peek's performance vs Auburn. Pathetic.

Tony Moeaki. The best blocker in the class, and a fine pass catcher.

I'd be happy to see us draft two TE's, so long as one of them is a great blocker and we commit to using them in the passing game much more.

But we must not take one higher than the third round. There's way too much value to be had defensively before then, and offensively afterwards.

My preferred blocking TE's would be:

Moeaki
Hoomanawanui
Dray

Peek
Byham

Preferred pass catchers:

Graham (wont be there though sadly)
Pitta
Quarless

McCoy
Overbay

This ; :yeahthat:

Gronkowski has a potentially career threatening back injury whether it's bulging discs (way too young for this) or spinal stenosis, which he denies. Both conditions are progressive with time and will only get worse.

Gresham is likely to go in the 1st rnd and the Pats have bigger needs.

Dray and Nyham are both blue collar workers who will have lengthy careers because of their blocking skills. They also offer great value in the 5th-7th rnds.

The "Three Gs" will all go too high.

If we're looking for a receiving TE to draft, I'd go Pitta and/or Quarless, though Myers or Agnone (from last year's P/S) might be seen as being capable of developing into that role. Otherwise, an accomplished blocker who can catch a little makes more sense.

I see ****erson developing more as a 3rd-down back, ala Faulk, and I'd take him for that spot if he comes cheap enough.

Agree that Crumpler was brought aboard more for his blocking skills than receiving ability. And maybe to coach young TE's in blocking. After all, the Pats have no designated TE coach at the moment.

Good point that someone made about Pitta being the same age as the more NFL-experienced Olsen. OTOH, Pitta might cost a lower draft pick. Unless Martz was eager to take Maroney and a 6th or 7th in trade. In that scenario, we could settle for Quarless or another late-round TE, if we drafted any at all. But then we'd definitely be looking for an RB in the late-2nd or in the 4th.

Good point that someone made about Pitta being the same age as the more NFL-experienced Olsen. OTOH, Pitta might cost a lower draft pick. Unless Martz was eager to take Maroney and a 6th or 7th in trade. In that scenario, we could settle for Quarless or another late-round TE, if we drafted any at all. But then we'd definitely be looking for an RB in the late-2nd or in the 4th.

I believe Martz has said he doesn't plan to cut or trade Olsen this year. :) :(

And, BTW, back surgery is not a deal breaker for the Patriots: Mt. Vollmer lost the 2006(?) season to back surgery, and they still took him in the second round.

Last edited:
I'm admittedly biased, but I'd love to see Aaron Hernandez in a Patriots uniform.

I voted for Somebody Else/None of the Above.

I don't want Bill even thinking of a TE until the 6th round.

I voted for Somebody Else/None of the Above.

I don't want Bill even thinking of a TE until the 6th round.

Are you really willing to go into the season with only one legitimate TE?

Ignore Captain Stoner. He thinks the Dolphins were giving our FO drafting lessons around about the same time they went 1-15.

I believe Martz has said he doesn't plan to cut or trade Olsen this year. :) :(

And, BTW, back surgery is not a deal breaker for the Patriots: Mt. Vollmer lost the 2006(?) season to back surgery, and they still took him in the second round.

So! You believe everything Martz says? ;)

Seriously, I'd expect the Bears' FO to overrule him in a heartbeat if they thought they were getting a better deal. Not saying that Olsen for Maroney and a late-rounder actually WOULD be a better deal for them, but they seem to be dumb enough to think so.

Why not? It's not like the TE gets much use here anyway. Bill has 7 picks (4 of which are untradeable) in the last 2 rounds; I think there will be a couple of decent prospects - both of the blocking & receiving varieties - still available who might help us. If not, then there might be some vets, incl. TEs, on the waiver wire after June, at least according to Kraft. And let's see what Agnone & Myers have to offer.

Ignore Captain Stoner. He thinks the Dolphins were giving our FO drafting lessons around about the same time they went 1-15.

Care to dredge up a post of my saying those things about the Doofins?

Why not? It's not like the TE gets much use here anyway. Bill has 7 picks (4 of which are untradeable) in the last 2 rounds; I think there will be a couple of decent prospects - both of the blocking & receiving varieties - still available who might help us. If not, then there might be some vets, incl. TEs, on the waiver wire after June, at least according to Kraft. And let's see what Agnone & Myers have to offer.

The TE gets plenty of use, just not as a receiver. Check Mike Reiss' offensive snaps lists if you don't believe me. Watson and Baker spent much of last season keeping Brady standing.

I've said before that I wouldn't take a TE in Rounds 1/2. But I fancy picking up a blocking TE in R3/4, with Tony Moeaki as binky.

The TE gets plenty of use, just not as a receiver. Check Mike Reiss' offensive snaps lists if you don't believe me. Watson and Baker spent much of last season keeping Brady standing.

I've said before that I wouldn't take a TE in Rounds 1/2. But I fancy picking up a blocking TE in R3/4, with Tony Moeaki as binky.
With Welker on the sick, lame, and lazy list Pitta in the second really appeals to me. As much as I like Moeaki, I think Pitta brings a stronger receiving game and a more balanced blocking game then he's given credit for.

With Welker on the sick, lame, and lazy list Pitta in the second really appeals to me. As much as I like Moeaki, I think Pitta brings a stronger receiving game and a more balanced blocking game then he's given credit for.

I'm on the Pitta bandwagon myself, you make a good point in that Welker takes alot of production away from our TE's. Brady is going to need someone reliable to throw to over the middle while Welker rehabs, I think Pitta can fill that role.

I'm on the Pitta bandwagon myself, you make a good point in that Welker takes alot of production away from our TE's. Brady is going to need someone reliable to throw to over the middle while Welker rehabs, I think Pitta can fill that role.
Indeed, when you match up his Combine change of direction numbers with his production, it looks like he has the tools to give good CBs trouble, let alone S or LB...not to mention the best hands in the draft class.

I think Pitta is a TE capable of blocking, but I'm not convinced he can do it consistently against NFL-caliber pass rushers. Like it or not, Brady is the target and we must protect him.

If we don't draft a WR then it makes sense to draft a TE who can play as a 3rd receiver, but that certainly wouldn't be my plan. Bill has tended to use TEs more as blockers and has more WRs on the field in passing situations, e.g. in the spread. Moeaki makes more sense as a better blocker available cheaper.

I think Pitta is a TE capable of blocking, but I'm not convinced he can do it consistently against NFL-caliber pass rushers. Like it or not, Brady is the target and we must protect him.

If we don't draft a WR then it makes sense to draft a TE who can play as a 3rd receiver, but that certainly wouldn't be my plan. Bill has tended to use TEs more as blockers and has more WRs on the field in passing situations, e.g. in the spread. Moeaki makes more sense as a better blocker available cheaper.
Bill has also tried twice to develop a reliable H-back receiver, I think Pitta's the charm and with another ten pounds of muscle he'll be competitive with NFL edge rushers when called upon.

We don't utilize the TE in the passing game. Otherwise we would've kept Watson. I'd like a blocking TE like Nate Byham in the 5th.

I think you've reversed the cause and effect. We didn't even attempt to keep Watson because he wasn't dependable in the passing game. And it would not have been the best use of money to sign him to a free-agent deal. Best of luck, mutual parting, and all that.

Let's not half-ass this. TE is an important position in our offense, as conceptualized. I'd rather not throw a 4th or 5th rounder at the position and say "good enough".

I also realize that it's not as much a priority as OLB or DE at the moment. However, if Gresham is on the board at #22, and Odrick and whomever your 1st round OLB binky is (Hughes for me) is gone, then we should draft Gresham. At the very least we should use a 2nd round pick on a vertical threat at the position...Hernandez or ****erson. For the amount of time we have 2 TEs on the field, we can draft another TE like Hoosyourmomma or Dray or Boone late. Heck, if the values right, and TEs like Moeaki, Cottam, Sicko, and Cumberland start to fall later than their projections, it wouldn't surprise me to see BB draft one along with Hernandez/****erson. Remember how many we went into training camp last year with?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back