PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which TE do you most want the Pats to take?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Which TE do you MOST want the Pats to take?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Taking into account whatever factors you deem appropriate, which tight end would you most want to see the Patriots take? [Note I'm not asking who you think the Patriots will actually draft.]

* Jermaine Gresham
* Jimmy Graham
* Rob Gronkowski
* Dennis Pitta
* None of the above

Last edited:
It depends on when we could get them. I think Graham and Pitta are the best values. Gresham and Gronkowski will go too early for me to want them.

As for Graham vs Pitta. I think that Graham has the highest upside and athleticism, but Pitta looks like he is more polished and could contribute sooner. It's not an easy call to make.

I'd love Graham if we'd incorporate him into the passing attack ala Dallas Clark. However that doesnt seem to be BB's style, so I'd like a good blocking TE with adequate catching skills. And as long as he doesn't come in the 1st or 2nd rounds.

Cant think of anybody really havent been following the prospects too closely this year

pitta, hernandez, moeki, sicko, dray, dorin ****erson:rocker:

Dray for his ability to block for Gerhart and Moeaki from Iowa.

Tony Moeaki, Iowa. I want a tight end who can block when Rex Ryan sends an overload blitz. The fact he can make tough catches is an added bonus. We used to talk about him in R4, but he will probably need to be taken by the end of the 3rd round for us to get him.

We don't utilize the TE in the passing game. Otherwise we would've kept Watson. I'd like a blocking TE like Nate Byham in the 5th.

If Dedrick Epps knee checks out I use a 7th on him as a developmental player. He was overshadowed by Graham and doesn't have his straight line speed or suddenness but I believe he can throw ten pounds on his frame and become a good blocker and occasional receiver when needed. Basically what Baker should have been but with a good attitude.

Unless we are going to use a TE in a Dallas Clark manner I see no need to use a top pick on one. Epps shows good effort and is also used in a lot of different spots in a pro style offense giving him versatility. Solid hands.

Tony Moeaki. The best blocker in the class, and a fine pass catcher.

I'd be happy to see us draft two TE's, so long as one of them is a great blocker and we commit to using them in the passing game much more.

But we must not take one higher than the third round. There's way too much value to be had defensively before then, and offensively afterwards.

My preferred blocking TE's would be:

Moeaki
Hoomanawanui
Dray
Peek
Byham

Preferred pass catchers:

Graham (wont be there though sadly)
Pitta
Quarless
McCoy
Overbay

We use the TE mostly for inline blocking. We have Crumpler to be the receiving TE so now we need a replacement for Baker who replaced Brady who replaced Graham.

In my mind the best blocker in this draft is Peek of Alabama. In the championship game Kindle was having great success against OT Carpenter early in the game.Alabama moved Peek over and Kindle disappeared for the rest of the game.

We use the TE mostly for inline blocking. We have Crumpler to be the receiving TE so now we need a replacement for Baker who replaced Brady who replaced Graham.

In my mind the best blocker in this draft is Peek of Alabama. In the championship game Kindle was having great success against OT Carpenter early in the game.Alabama moved Peek over and Kindle disappeared for the rest of the game.

Crumpler, was certainly NOT brought here to be a receiving TE. He is one of the best blocking TE's in the league, and is pretty much no longer relevant in the passing game.

Crumpler, was certainly NOT brought here to be a receiving TE. He is one of the best blocking TE's in the league, and is pretty much no longer relevant in the passing game.

Agreed. Crumpler has lost his speed. The dude weighed in at an elephantine 300+ lbs at one point. His superior bulk and blocking ability is why we brought him in. Hopefully he can get his weight down to the 275/280 range by training camp. Would hate to see him cut because he couldn't pass the strength&conditioning test. And yes we've had players who couldn't pass that the first time around.

Agreed. Crumpler has lost his speed. The dude weighed in at an elephantine 300+ lbs at one point. His superior bulk and blocking ability is why we brought him in. Hopefully he can get his weight down to the 275/280 range by training camp. Would hate to see him cut because he couldn't pass the strength&conditioning test. And yes we've had players who couldn't pass that the first time around.

I hope we can whip him into shape. His presence on this offense should open some nice running lanes, and give TB that extra second to find his WR. He really could be our most under rated acquisition this year.

Last edited:
Taking into account whatever factors you deem appropriate, which tight end would you most want to see the Patriots take? [Note I'm not asking who you think the Patriots will actually draft.]

* Jermaine Gresham
* Jimmy Graham
* Rob Gronkowski
* Dennis Pitta
* None of the above

Greg Olsen and his 70 receptions, No Brainer. Crumpler blocks and Olsen as the move TE.
Cousins say we don't utilize the TE? We can't when the starting TE has only 29 catches (what Cooley had in only seven games until breaking an ankle, with a terrible Jason Campbell as QB) and does not get open.
Didn't Watson lead the league one year in tipped passes that were intercepted? He could not catch with any consistency. One game he was superb, and the next he had metal mitts, Could not be trusted by BB. With his God given gifts it was a shame and he was a great kid and smart.

Our #53 pick for 25 year old Olsen (same age as Pita!!!)and call it a successful Draft pick that day, rather than a definite maybe on the desirable Draft TEs presented.

DW Toys

[/B]

Greg Olsen and his 70 receptions, No Brainer. Crumpler blocks and Olsen as the move TE.
Cousins say we don't utilize the TE? We can't when the starting TE has only 29 catches (what Cooley had in only seven games until breaking an ankle, with a terrible Jason Campbell as QB) and does not get open.
Didn't Watson lead the league one year in tipped passes that were intercepted? He could not catch with any consistency. One game he was superb, and the next he had metal mitts, Could not be trusted by BB. With his God given gifts it was a shame and he was a great kid and smart.

Our #53 pick for 25 year old Olsen (same age as Pita!!!)and call it a successful Draft pick that day, rather than a definite maybe on the desirable Draft TEs presented.

DW Toys
I agree 100% DW. Everyone loves to point out "we don't use our TE's in the passing game". My response to that is well why would we when we haven't had a reliable game breaker at the position since Coates. Can you blame Brady for not throwing the ball to guys who have a perpensity for drops? You put a true receiving threat at TE (like Olsen), and there's no doubt everyone will sing a different song. You don't think Brady would love to have a reliable safety valve, for all those times he's picking himself up off the ground?

Last edited:
While I think that Greshem is by far the best tight end in this draft, ****erson is certainly an intriguing pick. He has been moving up fast.

pitta, hernandez, moeki, sicko, dray, dorin ****erson:rocker:

Out of that list, I think Gresham is going to be the best TE to come out of this draft. ****erson is pretty intriguing. He seems to be a workout warrior and could be the same type of TE that Watson is.

Jermaine Gresham is the pick if he is still around......

6-6, fast, great hands and a WR in a TE body:)

BB does the unexpected... Everybody knows our major need is D related.

but we lack a young TE...... Jermaine Gresham is my pick:)

Crumpler can advise him and ****.....

Last edited:
Pitta in the 3rd/4th. He is as good as dallas clark, well maybe. gresham has had injuries but if he's available late 2nd, then take him. He won't be though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing