PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which Pats player has been MVP of the team with 1/4 of the season gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
With 4 games in the books and 1/4 of the season already gone,Which player do you think has been the Most Valuable Player on the Pats?

I will go with all defense here ....

Brandon Meriweather as the best player on the field thus far

Brandon McGowan and Mike Wright as close runner ups

I am sure Brady,Moss or Welker will enter the 1/2 way point as the pick as MVP but with the offense not quite there yet,I see no offensive player sticking out right now.

It's tough to say, the team's playing like a unit so far, which is good.

Other than the ones you mentioned (Meriweather was my first thought), Leigh Bodden? Maybe not the most valuable, but Biggest Difference From Last Year.

Meriweather is, of course, a solid pick.

I'd probably go with Gary Guyton, for wildly surpassing expectations and really stepping up to fill the void left by Mayo's injury.

The secondary has been the MVU (Most Valuable Unit) by far so far this year, and Meriweather has been the leader and best player. So I go for Meriweather.

Honorable mention to:

- Leigh Bodden, CB. What a difference a year makes.
- Gary Guyton, ILB. Has really kept the defense together in Mayo's absence.
- Vince Wilfork, DT. It still all starts with the big guy in the middle of the DL.
- Randy Moss, WR. Has shown terrific leadership while the offense has been getting back on track. Didn't hear a negative word out of him when he had 0 TD catches in his first 3 games.

Three offensive players that stand out to me are
Fred Taylor, Sammy Morris...and Ben Watson (yes)

Meriweather is, of course, a solid pick.

I'd probably go with Gary Guyton, for wildly surpassing expectations and really stepping up to fill the void left by Mayo's injury.

Gotta go with this one here, but it is difficult to tell as they are playing as a team... and a lot of guys are playing very well...

I still feel we need to give a little love to Mike Wright

When was the last time a Patriots defender had 3 sacks by week 4?...Probably have to go back to McGinest

I also am enjoying Banta-Cain playing very well with the pass rush,he just needs to get there a little sooner and he will be a stud for us

Ben Watson, hands down (WITH the ball).

He's been one of the most important guys on O this year.

Watson certainly has made an impact on offense with 2 very good catches that made a difference in 2 games,but I would like to see some other stuff like Blocking at the LOS and downfield ...That he is lacking at right now but then again our TEs suck at blocking since Graham left.

Last edited:
I think Guyton.

Hes been all over the field and stepped in for Mayo calling the D.

Moss.. While Welker was MIA, he took the spot of running crossing routes over the middle.. plus the guy played his heart out knowing how sore he was..

IMO there really is no MVP. Alot of guys have played outstanding but I can't really pinpoint one guy that we would have been lost without (Maybe Moss but that's only because Welker was also hurt). We've been playing great team football so I guess it's not bad to not have an MVP right now.

In a way, Leiodus McKelvin deserves consideration. I think we'd be 0-2 without him and you never know how we perform against ATL/Balt under that mental circumstance.

Moss.. While Welker was MIA, he took the spot of running crossing routes over the middle.. plus the guy played his heart out knowing how sore he was..

Gotta agree with this... Moss has has to adapt his play to the situation and done so flawlessly while dealing with back issues.

Moss turned into Wes Welker, he has been another coach on the field for Edleman, and shown that he is a leader in the lockeroom (check out NFL.com's Ultimate Audio - Pats Raven thread).

On D, Guyton/Meriweather. I don't think I could choose between the two as they have been fantastic. Guyton for being able to step it up and take over Mayo's spot and Meriweather for just being ridiculous on the field. He is already a Pro-Bowl calibur player and I feel still has the ability to improve by leaps and bounds.

Last edited:
Guyton. When Mayo went down...whoever would have thought this undrafted free agent could step in for the first round pick.

This is a good question and tough to answer. They have gotten key contributions from several players. I think I would ultimately have to give it to Moss.

Guyton.

He was the scotch tape for the D.

If it wasn't for him, once Mayo limped off, the Pats are looking at 1-3 today.

Moss - With Brady rusty has had to do things he would not normally and has done them well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back