PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which duo does better this season: Brady to Amendola or Manning to Welker?

Kid~Brady

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Brady and Amendola or Manning and Welker?

Considering the surrounding weapons and other players, which duo performs the best this season? I know the easy answer is Brady/Amendola combo as seen in the preseason games. Looks like they've already built some form of chemistry, reminded me of Welker ....alot.

I won't lie, I havent watched much of Denver this preseason but plan on watching them this week since teams are playing deeper into the games in the 3rd week. With that being said, its still Peyton Manning and Wes Welker, so I assume thats got to be a good thing?

Thoughts?

re: Which duo does better this season: Brady to Amendola or Manning to Welker?

Assuming Amendola stays healthy, Brady/Amendola by a lot. Manning has too many weapons to be feeding Welker 100 plus balls. I think the only way that Manning/Welker has a shot is Amendola getting hurt or the Broncos defense being so bad that every game is a shoot out for them.

Brady/Amendola as long as both stay healthy. Welker will have to share catches with Decker and Thomas that could diminish his numbers.

did that shipment of bubble wrap for Amendola come in yet?

Said it before but, in an ideal world the Manning/Welker duo has more production because Brady is too busy passing the ball to KT, Suds, Gronk, Edelman, Dobson, Boyce and Vereen.

Rather than giving 110 completions to 1 guy out of roughly 400 I'd rather see:

Amendola: 80
Gronk: 65
KT: 55
Vereen: 50
Sudfield: 40
Edelman: 40
Dobson: 35
Boyce: 25
Fells: 25

I want us to go back to having 4-5 guys with 50 catches a year and a more even distribution all year long. It's harder to stop this team when Brady is spreading out the ball.

Considering the surrounding weapons and other players, which duo performs the best this season? I know the easy answer is Brady/Amendola combo as seen in the preseason games. Looks like they've already built some form of chemistry, reminded me of Welker ....alot.

I won't lie, I havent watched much of Denver this preseason but plan on watching them this week since teams are playing deeper into the games in the 3rd week. With that being said, its still Peyton Manning and Wes Welker, so I assume thats got to be a good thing?

Thoughts?

Welker is going to find out soon enough that Peyton Manning likes to throw it down the field and doesn't like throwing 5 yard outs, hitches or curls.

Said it before but, in an ideal world the Manning/Welker duo has more production because Brady is too busy passing the ball to KT, Suds, Gronk, Edelman, Dobson, Boyce and Vereen.

Rather than giving 110 completions to 1 guy out of roughly 400 I'd rather see:

Amendola: 80
Gronk: 65
KT: 55
Vereen: 50
Sudfield: 40
Edelman: 40
Dobson: 35
Boyce: 25
Fells: 25

I want us to go back to having 4-5 guys with 50 catches a year and a more even distribution all year long. It's harder to stop this team when Brady is spreading out the ball.

Exactly. Yes the Moss/Welker focus put up record high numbers

EXCEPT when playoff caliber defensive coordinators with playoff talent capable defenses focused (like the early 200 Pats defenses) on stoping the key offensive threat. Once that was accomplished, the Pats offense was mundane. Regular season opponents were not this elite and were victimized by Air Brady's focus but not the elite defenses. And yes this would likely have been different with a healthy Gronk, but the point being that with many options and a QB and DC in sync and able to read coverages and find the open man, a Brady led offense is even more difficult to stop, with overpowering up the middle PR the last option for a D.

I fervently hope for a return to the time when Brady's "favorite" receiver is the open one (of many options). MUCH harder to game plan against, even with talent.

All said, geting this group of pickup football receivers in sync and mistake free will take much of the season. I expect more incompletions and yes, more picks, as the team works out the bugs.

It's pretty hard to call. On one hand, the Broncos offense has two guys that can go downfield and run every route in the book, so Welker's receptions may very well go down. On the other hand, the Pats are probably going to come out running the ball a lot more than they generally have in the last few years, particularly early on, because of inexperience at the WR position.

Out of the two tandems, I would go with Manning-Welker. The reason is two-fold. I think the Broncos will be passing more often than the Pats will next year. Further, their defense is old in the secondary and they don't appear to have much of a pass rush to speak of with Dumvervil gone and Miller suspended, so they could be in for quite a few shoot-outs, at least until Miller returns.

Depends on what you mean by 'doing better'. IMO the Patriots will play deeper in the playoffs than Denver that is the only version of doing better that I'm interested in.

What matters is Amendola staying healthy. The rest takes care of itself.

Peyton has more weapons than Brady does? I don't agree with this statement. Peyton has more established weapons, I will say that much.

To answer the OP's question, I don't really care. I guess whomever is more healthy.

All I care is that the Pats go further in the post season than the Donkos.

Peyton has more weapons than Brady does? I don't agree with this statement. Peyton has more established weapons, I will say that much.

To answer the OP's question, I don't really care. I guess whomever is more healthy.

All I care is that the Pats go further in the post season than the Donkos.

Manning has three WRs who got over 1,000 yards last year. Granted with Welker in the mix, it is doubtful that all three will get over that mark this year.

I have high hopes for the rookies, but typically rookie WRs don't put up huge numbers.

Add poll please...:bricks:

Thoughts?

Manning has more established stars outside than Brady does. Plus Brady dinks and dunks them down field if he can. Amendola will get more attention while Welker will get less, in their new homes. Plus as is BB wont to do, he believes in "better one year too soon, than one year too late" and Welker is 32, and his game depends on quickness.

Assuming Amendola stays healthy, Brady/Amendola by a lot. Manning has too many weapons to be feeding Welker 100 plus balls. I think the only way that Manning/Welker has a shot is Amendola getting hurt or the Broncos defense being so bad that every game is a shoot out for them.

I agree with this. Brady to Amendola was looking pretty fine last game. Just hope the injury bug doesn't derail it.

Amendola doing better than Welker means that he becomes Brady's go to guy, if he gets over 100 catches, we are in trouble again in the playoffs as teams will find a way to stop him.
I am hoping that Brady can trust the other WRs and spread the ball.

I care more about which duo does better in the next postseason

Since choice "B" involves 'Fivehead' Manning, I'll pick "A"

:singing:

did that shipment of bubble wrap for Amendola come in yet?

It's running late it got diverted to Denver to wrap Welker's ankle......Just curious what NFL team do you root for? And don't say the Pats I'm being serious.

Amendola doing better than Welker means that he becomes Brady's go to guy, if he gets over 100 catches, we are in trouble again in the playoffs as teams will find a way to stop him.
I am hoping that Brady can trust the other WRs and spread the ball.

I think this is a misnomer. I think the key to the past two losses was Gronk, not using Welker too much.

In the Super Bowl, Gronk was hobbled. The Giants figured that out quick and didn't put a lot of double coverages on him allowing them to focus on Hernandez and Welker with double and triple coverages. With only two or three receiving options (Woodhead as the third), it made it easier to defend the Pats' passing offense. Even so, Brady went on a stretch in the 3rd quarter where the Giants had no answer for him and it was only stopped when Brady hurt his non-throwing shoulder.

Last year, the Pats had no trouble moving the ball up and down the field, but every drive stalled in the red zone because Brady had no big red zone target. In other words - Gronk.

I think Amendola can easily be Brady's go to guy AND the Pats can avoid problems with the passing game in the last two playoff losses. Gronk should be back and healthy. Dobson is another big target in the red zone. So are Thompkins and Sudfeld.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back