PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which direction should we go in for QB next season?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What direction should we go in for QB next season?

• Keep Cam

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Trade for Matt Stafford or Watson

Votes: 11 13.3%
  • Pick a rookie in the draft

Votes: 70 84.3%

• Total voters
  • 1st round. 15th overall.
  • 2nd round. 47th overall.
  • 3rd round (compensatory pick).
  • 4th round. 110th overall.
  • 4th round (compensatory pick).
  • 4th round (compensatory pick).
  • 5th round. 142nd overall.
  • 6th round. 171st overall (via Cowboys).
  • 6th round. 173rd overall.
  • 7th round. 205th overall.

I don’t think it’s panicking. If Bill feels that Jones is his guy and he hear or feel that teams will draft him between 16-20, I think he could take him at 15. If he hears that he will go late in the first down, he could drop down, get an extra pick and take him late.
If Bill thinks he’s the guy, I don’t care where he takes him. If he thinks he might end up as maybe some second tier guy, then we should trade up for whoever he thinks is the guy.

If Bill thinks he’s the guy, I don’t care where he takes him. If he thinks he might end up as maybe some second tier guy, then we should trade up for whoever he thinks is the guy.
If Bill draft a QB in the 1st round whatever the way it will mean that he thinks he is the guy.

If Bill draft a QB in the 1st round whatever the way it will mean that he thinks he is the guy.

and i just don't see it........i really think some of this fanbase is going to be in an even bigger frenzy than they are right now when they settle on a QB choice.......i really, really think you're going to see one of those 2nd tier vets under center next year, and i don't necessarily think that's a bad thing, at all

i just have this weird feeling about the 2022 QB class.......

and i just don't see it........i really think some of this fanbase is going to be in an even bigger frenzy than they are right now when they settle on a QB choice.......i really, really think you're going to see one of those 2nd tier vets under center next year, and i don't necessarily think that's a bad thing, at all

i just have this weird feeling about the 2022 QB class.......
Right, but I feel like that’s the difference between the Chiefs with Alex Smith, who were good, and the Chiefs with Mahomes (despite his performance last night), who are great. Other than the GOAT, who is the last retread that won a Super Bowl?

i'm no draft guru by any means, but just with what i'm reading, 2022 is a little more top heavy in that it's deeper in guys that are expected to be solid potential starters, and there's a lot of maybe guys that because of COVID this year opted to go back to school and get another year to improve draft position.....guys that were projected pre-covid to come out this year

Right, but I feel like that’s the difference between the Chiefs with Alex Smith, who were good, and the Chiefs with Mahomes (despite his performance last night), who are great. Other than the GOAT, who is the last retread that won a Super Bowl?
I'm ok with getting a second tier QB -if- we also got a QB to sit behind him. I mean, Mahomes sat behind Smith for a year before he took over.

Something like Trubisky and Mac Jones? Hell, I can live with another year of Cam if we had a QB prospect at the Mahomes level who needed a year to develop.

foles?

not sure how you are defining re-tread......but there's ben plenty of 2nd tier guys that have won recently - flacco, eli come to mind - plenty of 2nd tier guys have been IN the superbowl the last 20 years

it is harder to get it done without elite talent at QB.......but look around the league, who right now is still considered elite? mahomes.....brees was toast, rodgers is nearing the end of his run, BR is beyond toast, Brady defies even basic physiology lol....wilson.....

guys like lamar jackson, watson, even dak - elite skills, but not what i'd call elite QBs...matt ryan? was very good at times, but elite? the jury is still out on allen, he's got more to develop.....

it can be done without that true elite QB......of which i'd argue there's really only 4-5 in the league right now, if that.......it's just harder; you need a well constructed roster, you need the right coaching, and you need a few breaks from the injury gods (but as we saw with the chiefs, even that derails the elite)

there's no one they are going to bring in and seriously contend for a lombardi next year......but there's more than one guy out there right now that they can get without sacrificing their ability to build the rest of the roster who they can win with in 2022/2023, while hopefully finding a young option to continue to build around

what i wonder, though, is exactly where BB's head is at.......ow long does he want to do this for, and does he care about anything beyond that 2-5 year plan........does he want to continue his trend of building for long term success and leave the franchise healthy when he walks away, or does he go all on in one last run before he's gone?

I'm ok with getting a second tier QB -if- we also got a QB to sit behind him. I mean, Mahomes sat behind Smith for a year before he took over.

Something like Trubisky and Mac Jones? Hell, I can live with another year of Cam if we had a QB prospect at the Mahomes level who needed a year to develop.

it might be trubisky and another vet and young next year, though......or it might be later round young this year AND young next year again

It doesn't matter. There are other deficits, a number of them. Next year will be another lost year. Might as well use the resources next year to build a team worthy of a decent quarterback. At this point, it's not close. No one should be surprised that Stafford - and no doubt others - have no interest in coming here. It's a lousy team with a lousy GM. So gather players next year (I wish we had a competent GM to do that, but evidently the Krafts are afraid that fanboys here and elsewhere will be up in arms if they do the right thing), then play them to see what you have. And let the losses pile up. We need to creep up that draft board for another year or two.

what i wonder, though, is exactly where BB's head is at.......ow long does he want to do this for, and does he care about anything beyond that 2-5 year plan........does he want to continue his trend of building for long term success and leave the franchise healthy when he walks away, or does he go all on in one last run before he's gone?

It's hard to say - I thought the last few years he made moves designated to maximize Brady's last few years -and- had a succession plan in Garoppolo, except Brady kept going much longer than anyone anticipated.

I'm not even sure this year's draft will tell us where his head is- OL and a QB is a need whether it's short term or long term either way.

My thought is Belichick will just take the best player available and work with it, because it is what it is.

foles?

not sure how you are defining re-tread......
Sorry,
foles?

not sure how you are defining re-tread......but there's ben plenty of 2nd tier guys that have won recently - flacco, eli come to mind - plenty of 2nd tier guys have been IN the superbowl the last 20 years

it is harder to get it done without elite talent at QB.......but look around the league, who right now is still considered elite? mahomes.....brees was toast, rodgers is nearing the end of his run, BR is beyond toast, Brady defies even basic physiology lol....wilson.....

guys like lamar jackson, watson, even dak - elite skills, but not what i'd call elite QBs...matt ryan? was very good at times, but elite? the jury is still out on allen, he's got more to develop.....

it can be done without that true elite QB......of which i'd argue there's really only 4-5 in the league right now, if that.......it's just harder; you need a well constructed roster, you need the right coaching, and you need a few breaks from the injury gods (but as we saw with the chiefs, even that derails the elite)

there's no one they are going to bring in and seriously contend for a lombardi next year......but there's more than one guy out there right now that they can get without sacrificing their ability to build the rest of the roster who they can win with in 2022/2023, while hopefully finding a young option to continue to build around

I just meant that there’s very few Super Bowl winning QBs on their second team. Generally to have really good success with a QB, you need to draft them.

I’m with everyone who says get a vet, but if we don’t also draft one this year, we’ll probably be talking about which QB to draft next year.

Keenum is owed like 2/14, great value. He’s be a fine bridge QB. Been around the league. I think Browns should be plenty happy with Baker.

Sorry,

I just meant that there’s very few Super Bowl winning QBs on their second team. Generally to have really good success with a QB, you need to draft them.

I’m with everyone who says get a vet, but if we don’t also draft one this year, we’ll probably be talking about which QB to draft next year.
I wouldn’t be surprised if they draft one both this year and next

I wouldn’t be surprised if they draft one both this year and next
I wouldn’t either, but as has been shown elsewhere on this forum, if you don’t commit to getting one in the first round, you’re unlikely to get a good one.

Foles?

I wouldn’t either, but as has been shown elsewhere on this forum, if you don’t commit to getting one in the first round, you’re unlikely to get a good one.
The problem with that idea was that as long as Brady was around, he was likely to want that pick used towards someone who would help the team win now. Which, I imagine, was why we went for Sony Michel instead of Lamar Jackson, for example, or N'Keal Harry instead of Drew Lock, as well as some of the rumored tension about Jimmy Garoppolo. So you can't commit to taking a first round QB unless you start treating Brady like a short term one year QB.

As to 'retreads', I feel like Trubisky has at least a good shot of turning out to be this free agency's Ryan Tannehill.

It doesn't matter. There are other deficits, a number of them. Next year will be another lost year. Might as well use the resources next year to build a team worthy of a decent quarterback. At this point, it's not close. No one should be surprised that Stafford - and no doubt others - have no interest in coming here. It's a lousy team with a lousy GM. So gather players next year (I wish we had a competent GM to do that, but evidently the Krafts are afraid that fanboys here and elsewhere will be up in arms if they do the right thing), then play them to see what you have. And let the losses pile up. We need to creep up that draft board for another year or two.

If you don't use the resources this year, you've missed a gigantic opportunity to capitalize not only on all the players w/o contracts (or released) because so many team are over the cap, but you miss the opportunity to get them on cheaper contracts than what we're going to see in the future.

It's like taking your medicine for this year for no reason at all.

You go all in with the cap this offseason.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back