PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What's your take?

Status
Not open for further replies.

workhorse

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
At presser for the Titans signing David Thorton away from the Colts, Jeff Fisher said...

"They are going to have to replace him, and it's not going to be an easy thing,'' Coach Jeff Fisher said. "The three of them (Colts linebackers) played so well together. We've talked about that, we've seen it, we've watched it on tape. To lose a key component like that is hard to replace. That's their issue, not ours.''

Is it me or is it a bit odd for a coach to talk about another team? BTW, I like Thorton, but I think that $22 million over 5 years with an $8 million bonus is a bit much for him.

workhorse said:
At presser for the Titans signing David Thorton away from the Colts, Jeff Fisher said...

"They are going to have to replace him, and it's not going to be an easy thing,'' Coach Jeff Fisher said. "The three of them (Colts linebackers) played so well together. We've talked about that, we've seen it, we've watched it on tape. To lose a key component like that is hard to replace. That's their issue, not ours.''

Is it me or is it a bit odd for a coach to talk about another team? BTW, I like Thorton, but I think that $22 million over 5 years with an $8 million bonus is a bit much for him.
That actually does seem kinda weird for a coach. Kind of a 'nana nana nana, we did this to hurt THEM' as opposed to a 'we did this to get a real performer that's going to improve OUR team'. I'm sure other coaches think this way in the back of their head, but to say it seems a bit odd.

I agree -- I've lost some of my (considerable) esteem for Fisher.

Part of the code is to respect your opponents in public. It's OK for BB to tell the press how dangerous the Patriots' opponents are, but not to point out their difficulties -- especially not if you may have been a cause of them.

It's OK to say "the Colts' line-backers played really well together and gave us huge problems every time we came up against them" and "we're really happy that Thornton is playing for us, not them". Bland it may be, but it's enough -- leave it there.

workhorse said:

I think he was speaking on the ability of Thorton rather than bashing the Colts. Fisher is a real good coach, so i don't think he would intentionally bash them...he is smarter than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back