PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What's wrong with Moss wanting $$$$?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What’s wrong with Randy Moss wanting to get paid? Would any of you chumps take a pay cut just to work for a great company? I don’t want to hear the argument that he can afford it. Question still remains, would you take a substantial pay cut to switch to an employer that is ‘world class’? Many on this board couldn’t even afford to think about that. Yes, greedy as it sounds, in the end it’s about money. Rings are great, but even if you hawk them on Ebay, they don't provide for a nice financial future.

lets see, if the option was get SEVEN MILLION DOLLARS A YEAR, and work in a great compnay with people i like and hwere my company is at the top of the food chain,

compared to getting paied 3 million more a year, and being miserable, i would choose the former

one is being smart, the other being greedy

i dont believe your ultimatim applies to moss however, hes not asking for unreasonable amount...he just wants close to what hes worth...the pats want to give less----ultimately i see moss signed for 8-9mil a year

I'm not going to argue it - but he comes across as a hypocrite, that's all. Said one thing doing another. That's his right but it's also the right of people to be turned off by it.

That's fair that you feel that way, but what if Randy suprised Randy? I wonder if he ever thought about breaking the TD record? I bet he suprised himself. Now Randy Moss is saying Hey I'm Randy Moss. And he is thinking he is worth Randy Moss $$$. It is up to him to decide what they are. In my opinion he sets the table for every player in the NFL right now.

What’s wrong with Randy Moss wanting to get paid? Would any of you chumps take a pay cut just to work for a great company? I don’t want to hear the argument that he can afford it. Question still remains, would you take a substantial pay cut to switch to an employer that is ‘world class’? Many on this board couldn’t even afford to think about that. Yes, greedy as it sounds, in the end it’s about money. Rings are great, but even if you hawk them on Ebay, they don't provide for a nice financial future.

Money isn't the issue - it character, and specifically his motivation to play well when signed to a long term contract with guaranteed money rather than on a one year "prove it" deal where he has an incentive to act like a team player, saying all the right things about wanting to finish his career here and that winning, not money, is the important thing.

But just for the sake of argument, let's say this was Tom Brady, who's contract could well be extended this offseason, instead of Moss.

Let's say he's on record as wanting to finish his career with the Patriots.

Let's say that for various reasons he's also stated loudly, clearly and publicly that he is not interested in demanding top dollar.

I think we all agree that such "team first" and character attributes are part of what makes him such a great and well liked leader (beyond his winning record) and part of the reason this team does so well.

Now imagine you pick up the paper tomorrow and read that Brady's unhappy with his extension negotiations, feeling like the Patriots aren't offering him enough money and he's now actively shopping himself to other teams in the hopes of working a trade to, say the Jets.

Are you honestly telling me you wouldn't fault Brady for this for a second? You'd not be troubled by this departure from his on the record pledge of wanting to play here with money not being his top issue?

After all, what's wrong with Brady wanting $$$$? The fact that what he said and what he does are two different things, making clear that his statements can't be trusted and that money is his motivation - wouldn't bother you in the least?

That's what's happening with Moss. Even Mike Reiss admits Moss is shopping himself to other teams.

However in Moss's case, unlike Brady, there's a history of being motivated solely by the checkbook - and that once the guaranteed money is paid, a history of not playing up to his abilities in Oakland.

So what's wrong with Moss wanting $$$$? Absolutely nothing if you don't have a problem with him breaking his word to the public and too the team and shopping himself to the highest bidder, illustrating where his allegiance and motivation truly lie.

I'm speaking hypothetically of course - suggesting that anything I've said about Moss is actually what's taken place is going to trigger a few dozen "How dare you question Moss" rants.

Last edited:
[GRATUITOUS INSULTS DELETED] You can't compare a guy making 50,000 a year trying to find a job that pays him 75,000 a year with a guy who has already made over 40 million dollars.

I mean how much money is enough? How many lifetimes of earnings for a regular guy does he have to receive before its enough? Whether he retires with 80 million or 90 million does it really make a difference? Is he going to be destitute if he takes 8 million from the Pats rather than 10 million from another team?

Most of us could live happily the rest of our lives with 1 million so spare us the stupidity because no we can't relate.

Has Moss really earned that much? I am sure 40% went to taxes. He doesn't have THAT many endorsements either so I would be surprised if he ever retires anywhere near 80mil in the bank.

Also, 8mil vs. 10mil is a huge difference. It is 2 million...20%. Would any of us take a 20% paycut? Will Kraft lower ticket prices by 20% or give away 20% of our season openers seats away for charitable institutions?

I can't answer those questions but I do know this...I would have to be miserable to move for a 20% paycut.

By the way, there are other 'world class' franchises in the NFL, too.
If anything, we seem to cut/resign a receiving corps every few years...from the outside, that may not be world class.
What makes us world class is a QB that plays every game and consistently excels.

Has Moss really earned that much? I am sure 40% went to taxes. He doesn't have THAT many endorsements either so I would be surprised if he ever retires anywhere near 80mil in the bank.

Also, 8mil vs. 10mil is a huge difference. It is 2 million...20%. Would any of us take a 20% paycut? Will Kraft lower ticket prices by 20% or give away 20% of our season openers seats away for charitable institutions?

I can't answer those questions but I do know this...I would have to be miserable to move for a 20% paycut.

you like percentages? fine with me, thats how im gonna respond to you...

a decent car is say 20k, say you make 50k a year, that is 40% of you year salary, if you took a 20% paycut, your new pay would be 40k a year...so that car would now take up 50% of your year's income...

for randy moss he makes say 10mil a year, the 20k car represents .2% of his yearly income...if he made 8mil a year, the car would represent .25% of the income...

my point is, his paycut of 2 mil is notthing liek yours and it barely affects his lifestyle, b/c the car would only be .05% more, whereareas your paycut would be huge, seeing that it affects your lifestyle by 10%....

2mil less when your making 10 mil a year is nothing, 10k less when your only making 50k a year is A LOT, relatevely speaking

Money isn't the issue - it character, and specifically his motivation to play well when signed to a long term contract with guaranteed money rather than on a one year "prove it" deal where he has an incentive to act like a team player, saying all the right things about wanting to finish his career here and that winning, not money, is the important thing.

But just for the sake of argument, let's say this was Tom Brady, who's contract could well be extended this offseason, instead of Moss.

Let's say he's on record as wanting to finish his career with the Patriots.

Let's say that for various reasons he's also stated loudly, clearly and publicly that he is not interested in demanding top dollar.

I think we all agree that such "team first" and character attributes are part of what makes him such a great and well liked leader (beyond his winning record) and part of the reason this team does so well.

Now imagine you pick up the paper tomorrow and read that Brady's unhappy with his extension negotiations, feeling like the Patriots aren't offering him enough money and he's now actively shopping himself to other teams in the hopes of working a trade to, say the Jets.

Are you honestly telling me you wouldn't fault Brady for this for a second? You'd not be troubled by this departure from his on the record pledge of wanting to play here with money not being his top issue?

After all, what's wrong with Brady wanting $$$$? The fact that what he said and what he does are two different things, making clear that his statements can't be trusted and that money is his motivation - wouldn't bother you in the least?

That's what's happening with Moss. Even Mike Reiss admits Moss is shopping himself to other teams.

However in Moss's case, unlike Brady, there's a history of being motivated solely by the checkbook - and that once the guaranteed money is paid, a history of not playing up to his abilities in Oakland.

So what's wrong with Moss wanting $$$$? Absolutely nothing if you don't have a problem with him breaking his word to the public and too the team and shopping himself to the highest bidder, illustrating where his allegiance and motivation truly lie.

I'm speaking hypothetically of course - suggesting that anything I've said about Moss is actually what's taken place is going to trigger a few dozen "How dare you question Moss" rants.

Maybe the greedy bastard should make it up to us fans by offering to pay Bob Kraft for the privilege of playing for the Patriots.

I know he's got the money.

Exactly. Some of the posters on this site want these guys to work for 50% below market value just because they make more than them. It's ridiculous. Haters are what they are.

you like percentages? fine with me, thats how im gonna respond to you...

a decent car is say 20k, say you make 50k a year, that is 40% of you year salary, if you took a 20% paycut, your new pay would be 40k a year...so that car would now take up 50% of your year's income...

for randy moss he makes say 10mil a year, the 20k car represents .2% of his yearly income...if he made 8mil a year, the car would represent .25% of the income...

my point is, his paycut of 2 mil is notthing liek yours and it barely affects his lifestyle, b/c the car would only be .05% more, whereareas your paycut would be huge, seeing that it affects your lifestyle by 10%....

2mil less when your making 10 mil a year is nothing, 10k less when your only making 50k a year is A LOT, relatevely speaking

EXACTLY!

These people who try to compare a guy making 50K a year and a guy making millions are insane. After a certain level of wealth, it doesn't matter, its all excess. Cars, houses, etc only cost so much unless you're an idiot who just likes to piss money away.

Its like when Ty Law said he has to feed his family a few years ago. Like they are going to starve if they get 4 million instead of 5 million. These guys need a reality check.

I mean you're making 8 million a year, you got millions in the bank, exactly WTF do you need that extra million for? What is it going to do for you that the other 20 some odd million that you've already made hasn't?

EXACTLY!

These people who try to compare a guy making 50K a year and a guy making millions are insane. After a certain level of wealth, it doesn't matter, its all excess. Cars, houses, etc only cost so much unless you're an idiot who just likes to piss money away.

Its like when Ty Law said he has to feed his family a few years ago. Like they are going to starve if they get 4 million instead of 5 million. These guys need a reality check.

I mean you're making 8 million a year, you got millions in the bank, exactly WTF do you need that extra million for? What is it going to do for you that the other 20 some odd million that you've already made hasn't?

That is my point...don't compare. For whatever reason, we tend to come down harder on athletes for wanting 'more' but not on all entertainers or CEO's etc.
Moss is (reportedly) about to sign for $27mil/3yr. That is a good deal for him...but even better for the Pats. If he'd bunked it and gone to...Dallas or whatever other team for $30mil/3yr I would not have faulted him.
Great to have him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore