PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What's wrong with Moss wanting $$$$?

Status
Not open for further replies.
that's why i used the word "appears"

because i knew someone would read my post , try to find a word they didn't like, and complin about it

Who was complaining? And that's why I put the green smiley guy in there.

Lighten up.

What’s wrong with Randy Moss wanting to get paid? Would any of you chumps take a pay cut just to work for a great company? I don’t want to hear the argument that he can afford it. Question still remains, would you take a substantial pay cut to switch to an employer that is ‘world class’? Many on this board couldn’t even afford to think about that. Yes, greedy as it sounds, in the end it’s about money. Rings are great, but even if you hawk them on Ebay, they don't provide for a nice financial future.

I get so tired of hearing this nonsense. I've taken several 'pay cut' situations in my life, including the biggest one where I decided that living where I wanted to was more important than making big money. As a result of that decision, I make hundreds of thousands of dollars less each year than I could potentially be earning elsewhere. I don't expect everyone to make the same decisions, I just get tired of greedy people assuming everyone is like they are. For many of us, it's not about money.

Last edited:
yes, this is what's "wrong" with Moss wanting money.

He said he wouldn't do exactly what it appears like he is doing now.

kinda crappy if you ask me.

That's why i don't really give a damn if he comes back.

That's not crappy, it's just good old fashion business. That's how it works.

So he said he's not going to break the bank, he'd give the Patriots a discount...
If he doesn't sign with the Patriots, could it simply be that he said:

Moss: "I'll give you guys a 20% discount, but anything less is insulting"
Patriots: "We value you at 9 million/year"
Other team: "Moss, we want to give you 12mill/year"
Moss: "BB, can you give me 9.5/year?"
Patriots: "Nope, we can give you 9"
Moss: "Other team, sign me up"

I can definitely see the above scenario happenning, and no one would be at fault. I trust BB/Pioli's ability to assess value to talent. I also would not blame Moss if BB/Pioli aren't willing to come close to what another team would.

Moss gave us one great year at a deep discount. Anything more is gravy

Question still remains, would you take a substantial pay cut to switch to an employer that is ‘world class’?

Of course I would! If your family is really struggling, then you have to go after every extra dollar. But once you reach a basic level of comfort -- and that level is certainly an individual decision -- you have to start weighing costs and benefits. How much is it worth to you to spend five+ days a week, every week, feeling miserable? How many dollars make it worthwhile to come home every night stressed and short-tempered so your family keeps their distance? And what is extra "luxury" money for if not to make your life better?

That being said, my answer to your title question ("What's wrong with Moss wanting $$$$?") is "not a thing." If I could earn top dollar AND take the job of my choice, so much the better. My hope is that Randy is exploring free agency with his first priority being to emerge with a better contract from the Patriots, which is fine with me.

I get so tired of hearing this nonsense. I've taken several 'pay cut' situations in my life, including the biggest one where I decided that living where I wanted to was more important than making big money. As a result of that decision, I make hundreds of thousands of dollars less each year than I could potentially be earning elsewhere. I don't expect everyone to make the same decisions, I just get tired of greedy people assuming everyone is like they are. For many of us, it's not about money.

Yeah guess your right. But there are economies of scale. Someone making $50k a year and taking a $10k pay cut is monsterous. Not at all like a big swinger like you taking a cut of ' hundreds of thousands less each year' on your multimillion dollar salary.

I can understand the argument that nothing is wrong with Randy wanting money but how many millions does he need?

It's not like the Pats are asking him to play for charity or for free. He is still going to make more than most of us will ever see in our lives.

I love Moss, my dad is one of the biggest Viking fans I know but I'm starting to think less of him the more I read he just wants the big $$$ now rather then winning.

What’s wrong with Randy Moss wanting to get paid? Would any of you chumps take a pay cut just to work for a great company? I don’t want to hear the argument that he can afford it. Question still remains, would you take a substantial pay cut to switch to an employer that is ‘world class’?

I like to think that many people dont just follow the $. For me, remaining in MA is highly important, and I have turned down "better" opportunities in other regions of the country.

This is why it offends me when players turn down reasonable, well paying contracts and go to the highest bidder for a few million more. Its one thing if they aren't going to get paid here or would rather play somewhere else. But simply chasing the biggest payday demonstrates a real lack of character, and shows where your priorities lie.

Also, unlike regular Joes, for a lot of these guys, their families would be well taken care of no matter where they play. Therefore, you would hope that considerations other than $ would impact their decisions more than the average person.

Absolutely, positively nothing at all.

Many posters believe that players should play for the patriots at a discount from market because the patriots are such a great organization. We do not know the situation. We may know when Moss signs, or not. However, there have been many players who the patriots wouldn't have signed even at a 10% discount.

The fact is that sometimes (often?) the patriots idea of value is way, way below market. And that's fine. We succeed with this strategy (as do the colts, the steelers and the chargers). But we still get pi$$$ed when players decide that they will take the money from other teams. This overpricing (sometimes called the market) occurs most obviously in the first couple of weeks of free agency.

What’s wrong with Randy Moss wanting to get paid? Would any of you chumps take a pay cut just to work for a great company? I don’t want to hear the argument that he can afford it. Question still remains, would you take a substantial pay cut to switch to an employer that is ‘world class’? Many on this board couldn’t even afford to think about that. Yes, greedy as it sounds, in the end it’s about money. Rings are great, but even if you hawk them on Ebay, they don't provide for a nice financial future.

Money isn't everything, and while financial security can be a very nice luxury to obtain, it doesn't at all secure a happy life. Trust me, I know plenty of other people with money who lead not so fantastic lives.

We also need to realize that we're talking about contracts that in some cases are guaranteeing $10M, $15M, $20M, and $25M plus. Then realize that if anyone ever has the pleasure of pocketing $10M they should be set for life, if they play their cards right. That's why it is a joke for an athlete to say something like "I need to put food on the table", when turning down a $7M per year contract, for an $8M per contract. Also, an elite professional athlete can earn Millions of dollars in endorsement deals, especially if he stays in the same area for a long period of time (builds a substantial local fan base). So, there are ways to offset a slight difference in salary totals.

Getting past that, it does make perfect sense to turn down a deal that wouldn't fairly compensate you. And, it doesn't make the players any different than most of the owners and some coaches. It is a business, and most people are looking to maximize their profits.

When it comes to Randy Moss, he has already claimed to be financially set, and that he's not in it for the money at this point in his life/career. We'll see what happens, but I still believe he's going to resign with the Patriots.

Last edited:
Yeah guess your right. But there are economies of scale. Someone making $50k a year and taking a $10k pay cut is monsterous. Not at all like a big swinger like you taking a cut of ' hundreds of thousands less each year' on your multimillion dollar salary.

Ummm... I took that 'cut' based upon lifestyle choice and, as a result, I grossed less than 50k last year. The irony of your 'economies of scale' argument is that Moss is the ultimate example of that. You're defending him holding out despite his having already earned millions. I don't begrudge him the money if that's his highest goal, I just think the argument you used to defend him is a bad one.

Last edited:
That being said, my answer to your title question ("What's wrong with Moss wanting $$$$?") is "not a thing." If I could earn top dollar AND take the job of my choice, so much the better. My hope is that Randy is exploring free agency with his first priority being to emerge with a better contract from the Patriots, which is fine with me.

The problem is that unlike with regular employers, NFL teams work within a salary cap. More so than with other walks of life, if you really want to win or be in a good situation in the NFL, you cant ask to break the bank.

And if you are breaking the bank, and your team is terrible, you have no business to complain about it later.

Randy deserves a market level contract. I don't recall Randy ever saying he would take a 'discount' to stay with New England, only that he wouldn't 'break the bank'.

When you consider the best CB (Samuel) are getting close to 10mil per, and offensive GUARDS are getting 8 mil (Faneca), and a #2 WR got paid 7 mil per (Berrian), and a backup DT (Kelly) got 7 mil....why shouldn't Randy receive what would be considered a 'market' contract, which in my opinion is 10-11 mil per year....that is his MARKET value!
Randy in his old contract was scheduled to receive around 11 million THIS year had he not renegotiated, and based on what he did last year, should get around that ballpark in his new contract

My opinion is that the Patriots are being CHEAP and offering a contract of 6-8 mil per year, which Randy should totally reject and look elsewhere. The Patriots are not the ONLY team that has a chance to be Superbowl competitive the next few years.

Last edited:
It just proves that money is what he's all about. He finally had a great supporting cast and put up record-breaking numbers. Would he choose success and a little less money, or would he rather risk it to go play in another Oakland situation to get that big paycheck? It's a very indicitive statement about his character.

Honestly, everyone thinks it's just about Randy Moss and how much he wants. I'd be willing to bet that BB would just as content seeing Randy take his services elsewhere and use that money on other positions, like defense. BB is smart enough to know that the biggest contributor to his success is #12, and I think as long as the Patriots make the right overtures in trying to keep Moss and inform Tom of the process, this will all even out, whether Moss stays or leaves. I want him to be here for the rest of his career, but not at the expense of the Pat's future success.

While bantering this subject about with people I learned that the average annual wage in the US is about 36K a year and for MA it’s about 44K. Maybe Randy needs to spend a year in the average Joe’s and Jane’s cleats then get back to the Pats FO.

New England is not the only team that Randy can have success.

Randy Moss deserves to be paid 'market value' for what he did last year.

PERIOD.

Ummm... I took that 'cut' based upon lifestyle choice and, as a result, I grossed less than 50k last year. The irony of your 'economies of scale' argument is that Moss is the ultimate example of that. You're defending him holding out despite his having already earned millions. I don't begrudge him the money if that's his highest goal, I just think the argument you used to defend him is a bad one.

Wait, if you took a paycut of hundreds of thousands of dollars to make less then 50k all for a lifestyle choice then I have to commend you on that decision. That is one hell of a choice! Bravo, I wouldn't have the fortitude and conviction to make such a move. You're more of a man then I am and I am not being sarcastic about any of this.

Wait, if you took a paycut of hundreds of thousands of dollars to make less then 50k all for a lifestyle choice then I have to commend you on that decision. That is one hell of a choice! Bravo, I wouldn't have the fortitude and conviction to make such a move. You're more of a man then I am and I am not being sarcastic about any of this.

Thank you, but you're being too kind. I simply had a different set of priorities than some other people. For me, location and lifestyle was more important than money. Believe me, I wouldn't turn down a winning lottery ticket.

I don’t want to hear the argument that he can afford it.

[GRATUITOUS INSULTS DELETED] You can't compare a guy making 50,000 a year trying to find a job that pays him 75,000 a year with a guy who has already made over 40 million dollars.

I mean how much money is enough? How many lifetimes of earnings for a regular guy does he have to receive before its enough? Whether he retires with 80 million or 90 million does it really make a difference? Is he going to be destitute if he takes 8 million from the Pats rather than 10 million from another team?

Most of us could live happily the rest of our lives with 1 million so spare us the stupidity because no we can't relate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes