PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What's up with Boyce?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Called being a rookie .... is this thread serious?

Toughest transition? Why rookie wide receivers struggle in NFL
Toughest transition? Why rookie wide receivers struggle in NFL - NFL.com

You know, I was joking when I told the Steeler's fan "Welcome to a world where any draft pick who isn't an all pro by week 5 is a bust," but the truth is that really isn't that far off. Boyce was 4th round pick who battled injury all offseason and I will be fine with him coming in here next year at camp and making a run at being a serious contributor on the 2014 team. the expectations about these rookies all contributing immediately or they suck is really really out there.

There is no magic regarding rookies. The reality is a street free agent passed Boyce on the depth chart after a couple of practices.

whats up with boyce is we can only have 11 people on the field at a time, and brady would rather we limit the number of rookies WR at the same time to 2

I'm really dissapointed thus far. I haven't read anything about an injury.

He looked promising and showed good speed taking his ones pass for 24 yds in atl. Anyone have any inside info? I don't have much hope for him to suddenly pull a 360, just curious as to whats the problem.

That'd be a 180. A 360 would take him right back to where he is now.

There is no magic regarding rookies. The reality is a street free agent passed Boyce on the depth chart after a couple of practices.

A veteran with starting experience in a top 5 offense, who was only on the street because he was recovering from injury.
There is no indignity in that.

From today's Chat w/Mike Reiss:

Glenn (Concord,nh)

Mike,How is Collie working out? He looked very effective in previous years. If he stays healthy do you think he could be an important piece of the offense?

Mike (11:21 AM): A little quiet last week. About 32 snaps with no catches. But seems to be in the right spot. Brady seems to like him. He'll be a factor. They are obviously more comfortable with him out there as compared to rookie Josh Boyce, who will probably be a game-day inactive the rest of the way if everyone is healthy.

Last edited:
We should be fine with the fact that we at last emerged from the draft with a WR that has potential and shows progression (AD).

Cut Boyce.

51hits should read over the career of Wes Welker .. granted he was undrafted but I believe it took him about 3 years to get it going in the NFL ... potential does not always = ready as we all know.

My initial thought when we brought Collie here is that he was here to take over Boyce's spot. Only seeing 5 targets in the first month or so didn't seem to be a good sign, and I am glad that Belichick went out and brought in someone who should be able to be a decent upgrade at the position.

Collie is working hard to get acclimated to our playbook, and I think we'll see his production come up here in the next several games. It seems that the coaches certainly are trusting him more, as his reps have increased throughout each game.

Boyce will be in the mix to compete in 2014 with a season of knowledge under his belt. We must all remember that this scheme here is reportedly very difficult to pick up, especially when there are other new players/rookies at the same time. There were just too many new players who weren't lining up in the right place, running the wrong routes, etc.

There are lots of rookie WRs who don't contribute in year one but turn into decent receivers. Of course, if GMs are as impatient as the OP, then probably not.

But guys like Eric Decker (6 catches), Cecil Shorts (2), Mario Manningham (4), Pierre Garcon (4), and Steve Smith with the Giants (8) all had quiet rookie seasons yet turned into pretty good NFL receivers. Don't forget our very own David Givens (9) and Troy Brown (2) in that group either.

I also think people have to factor in that we are always playing for a championship; we're never re-building. Rookies earn their playing time. I have no doubt some of our draft picks would have been better if we gave them a starter job and let them develop, but we can't afford to do that. They beat out a veteran or they don't get those reps. It's not about building up a few key rookies for the future; they have to learn to contribute to a winning team or they don't play.

If we were the Jaguars, we could play Boyce all the time and hope he develops quicker with experience. If we were the Raiders, we could afford to take a season off and give the kids a chance to grow and mature on the job. But we're in the battle for the #2 seed right now. If a rookie can contribute more than a veteran, great. If not, they sit. And I'm okay with that.

It doesn't mean that rookie sucks. It doesn't mean they're a disappointment (and not sure how 4th-rounders not becoming stars is a disappointment). But I always think of Bill Belichick's comments about how Tom Brady was a wasted roster spot in his rookie season. Just because you don't contribute right away doesn't mean you can't be a key contributor some day.

If the Patriots had drafted one of my binkies in Markus Wheaton they'd be crying bust already. I refuse to downgrade rookies until they've had at least 2-3 seasons in the NFL to make a proper assessment.

Are you trolling? He's a rookie and KT and Dobson are enough for us. He'll get his chance and hopefully pans out to be a great WR within 2-3 years along with the others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe