PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What you think about draft staring on a Thursday?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the change. Should be more trades now with the xtra time, making it more exciting.

Exactly.

With rounds 1 & 2 on Saturday, a lot of trades occurred overnight by teams trying to get to the top of round 3 because they were desperate because of a run on this or that position of need.

Double that. Overnight Thursday to Friday with Round 1 in the books... and again Friday to Saturday.

I expect a lot more trades.

Is anyone going to the Patriots Draft Party at the stadium? They charge over $50 a head and now they get to host events back to back evenings. Should put an extra $25K in Bob Kraft's pocket....

What's dumber?
Draft on a Thursday
Pro Bowl before Super Bowl

I think the "Smartest qb" loosing a SB is dumber. But It does suck having the 1st round on a Thursday. Completely takes away your attention from it 'cause you're on a weekday vs. a weekend

Last edited:
It doesn't bother me because I never really got into the hype on Saturday, but I don't understand why the NFL made the change. They already had an "event" which kept those interested in their couches and watching over a weekend. Now, it's just another news-type event on which to keep an eye via the Internet while you work and do a bunch of other things.

I suspect that a lot of "Football-widows" will be happy with this decision.

Bottom line, tho, is that I really don't care one way or the other.

Is anyone going to the Patriots Draft Party at the stadium? They charge over $50 a head and now they get to host events back to back evenings. Should put an extra $25K in Bob Kraft's pocket....

Really? People pay $50 a pop to watch the Draft on TV at the stadium? There's a sucker born every minute, I guess. Seems to me the Krafts should offer that up as a freebie to Season Ticket holders. Now tell me that they charge for drinks and food...

This years Pro-Bowl received the highest rating for the game in 10 years, even against the Grammy Awards.

Also, the crowd of 70,697 was the largest for a Pro Bowl since 1959.

Exactly. The Pro Bowl move before the Super Bowl weekend was a smashing success (despite the fact that we couldn't see Manning or Brees). This? Not so much.

...as long as you aren't the 70 million women that have Grey's Anatomy wine parties every Thurs night the draft will be the show of choice.

One of the things that I've learned because of the Olympics is that the other Networks will show repeats on those days so as to not lose viewers. Now, networks like USA and TNT don't care and they'll continue to show new programming, but based on the lack of recordings on my DVR so far during the Olympics, I am pretty sure that's what will happen.

And I said it last year that it was a HORRIBLE idea. Even wrote a letter to the NFL about it only to get a form letter back thanking me for my concern.

Really? People pay $50 a pop to watch the Draft on TV at the stadium? There's a sucker born every minute, I guess. Seems to me the Krafts should offer that up as a freebie to Season Ticket holders. Now tell me that they charge for drinks and food...
Does this include a meal? Drinks? There certainly would be a cost for electricity/heating/security/cooks/maintenance - granted a profit is made, which I can't begrudge, but if (and I don't know the answer) there is a meal/refreshments it's not a bad price for people who want to party together and share the draft experience. :cool:

I'll be at home nattering on the forum and grousing about phone calls and such interrupting my draft watching. ;)

No more draft Saturdays is lame but I'll just check the results online or when Pats are up.

COMING IN 2011: DRAFT WEEK

Monday: Picks 1-16
Tuesday: Picks 17-32
Wednesday: 2nd round
Thursday: 3rd round
Friday: 4th round
Saturday: 5th round
Sunday: 6th and 7th rounds

According to the commish, spreading out the draft over a week will maximize television ratings while giving the public the best chance to see each part of the draft as we watch the second most important football event of the year.

I went to music city last year. I'm glad I finally went in person before they ruined the format

I think it sucks, if they want to make it a 3 day event... start it on Fri.. Not Thurs... This is not the nba, its the nfl... it belongs on sat and sun

If alot of people are upset ,maybee we can form a write in campaign....

I think its great for Teams, but sucks for fans(especially die-hard draft fans like myself). Teams will now have a LOT more time to see what/who they got in the first round then decide and study whats left for subsequent rounds. It also means its less likely we can make the raiders give us randy moss for 4th round picks. I'm also stuck working(2nd shift 1pm to 1am) on thurs and fri!!! Either way, cant wait for draft day! Go Pats.

If alot of people are upset ,maybee we can form a write in campaign....

"to each his own." and, i'm NOT criticizing anyone because I know that a lot of people can't figure out my obsession with the nfl and the patriots, but i will admit that i don't get the fascination with watching the draft unfold hour by hour over a couple of days...unlike the unfolding of a game, it just doesn't feel like knowledge that's any different if i get it "in real time" or later.

but, to each his/her own...

I think that the move of the Pro Bowl to the week prior is a great idea. The only thing that would make it better would be to eliminate the BS "required attendance" by players whose teams are playing in the SB.

I

My plans of drinking all day are now kaput because of class the following day, but I guess just drink intensely day 2.

Even then, I just care about watching us trade out first for 2 fifths or w/e well get ;), then turning it off

I have absolutley no class. Therefore I can drink day 1,2,and 3.

Personally i enjoyed it on saturdays since its usually nice weather sprouting and you can spend the entire day on the couch drinking.

Thursday means we sit at
work all day and by the time most of us get home the draft will be starting.

Plus its one of my favorite days of the year.

What do you guys think?
I think it should be held on Tuesday.

I like it personally. Because of how long the first round takes, I usually found myself zoning out by the time the 2nd round rolled around. I would still watch it, waiting for the Pats to do something, but I didn't enjoy it as much.

Now, I'll sit through the 1st, see what the Pats do, then have a chance to recharge my draft battery before what should be a very interesting 2nd round for us.

Not that I ever really minded the old format, I just see the potential for improvement with this, for me at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call