PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What year did you curse the picks made in the draft and what year were you elated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOT64

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Preferably during the BB era here in New England....

In which year were you cursing the picks that were made in the draft and why were you mad? and in what year were you elated about the picks made?

Please be honest and base it on what you DID NOT know how that particular player was actually going to be,In other words if you thought Logan Mankins was a stupid pick and since he turned out to be pretty good don't say it was not dumb at that time if you thought that then.

You can also add to this players who you thought were a wasted pick that turned out to be good and players who you thought were going to be an all-pro who turned out to be a bust

Last edited:
Re: What year did you curse the picks made in the draft and what year were you elated

I loved the Warren, Wilson, Johnson, Samuel, Koppen... draft and cursed the draft w/ Mankins -- oops.

Re: What year did you curse the picks made in the draft and what year were you elated

Based on first round, tough to be elated or pissed later :

2001 - Predicted Seymour so I was good with that. Not elated but happy.

2002 - Dan Graham. Eh. OK, not horrified, but disappointed.

2003 - Ty Warren. See Seymour. Predicted and happy.

2004 - Wilfork and Watson. Wilfork, OK, E-F*CKING-LATED. Watson - see Graham.

2005 - Mankins - Disappointed although I was looking at him for our #2 so I liked him just not that high.

2006 - Maroney - Disappointed, I wanted Manny Lawson. I'm happy with Maroney now though.

2007 - Meriweather - Happy. Not elated but definitely NOT disappointed.

2001 - Seymour - I'm a Michigan guy - wanted David Terrell. oops!

2002 - Dan Graham - Thought he was a decent pick. bit surprised they traded up to get him.

2003 - Ty Warren - Very happy

2004 - Wilfork and Watson - Wilfork was one of our best. Surprised about Watson, but mainly due to the Graham pick just two years prior.

2005 - Mankins - My jaw dropped to the floor.

2006 - Maroney - Was more happy to keep him away from the Colts.

2007 - Meriweather - Very disappointed. I was chanting for David Harris. Would have also been happier with either Jon Beason, Paul Posluszny, or LaMarr Woodley. (I was also ticked when we traded our pick to San Fran). I still believe Meriweather will be a huge disappointment after the typical 3 year learning curve.

2001 Seymour very happy (didn't want terrell)
2002 Graham very disappointed (wanted Harris)
2003 Warren happy, got our man
2004 Wilfork best ever value, was disappointed we waited this long
2004 Watson very disappointed
2005 Mankins surprised, but always happy to add a quality OL
2006 Maroney disappointed
2007 Meriweather disappointed

BEST FOR ME Wilfork
WORST FOR ME Graham

2001 Seymour was a blah blah pick for me. I thought he might be overhyped because he played alongside Marcus Stroud. Wanted Gerard Warren.

2003 Hated the Warren pick. I wanted Jonathan Sullivan or Dwayne Robertson. Lesson learned in don't fall for the hype pick. I love Ty Warren now and is one of my favorite players.

2004 Wilfork was an absolute steal and everyone knew it. Some had him going no lower than 7-10. Some as high as inside the top 5. Have never been so stoked for a Pats pick in the Kraft era.

2005 The Mankins pick made my jaw drop. Totally took me by suprise, but by this time "In Bioli we trust" kicked in and I learned not to question the front office and why they do things.

I'm not worthy ..............

The 2003 draft was the best draft in the Belichick era and the 2007

draft the worst (excluding the trades). Drafting three offensive

linemen who had no chance of making the team still puzzles me.

I think 2004 sums it up beautifully, I was thrilled when some how Wilfork slipped to the Pats and then stunned when they took Watson (I wanted Bob Sanders).

2007 was brutal as well, I kept saying "How many O lineman do we need? who the hell is that guy? sounds like more camp fodder... "

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST