PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What the Patriots COULD have done last year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear PatChick

Live by the sword; die by the sword:

Posts by PatChick:

3/13/09:
Hakeem Nicks is a great prospect, and Heyward-Bey has exciting potential in part because he has a vastly better head on his shoulders than the 2nd-round-speed-demons-who-shall-not-be-named.

And then there is your linebacker assessment. Don't bother with those USC slackers:

Maualuga's sure to be gone, Laurinaitis is lousy value, Matthews is too small and hasn't made enough football impact for round 1, and Cushing just doesn't seem like enough of a football player.

On Percy Harvin (3/12):

True, but...his highlight-reel moments all seem to happen after the ball is in his hands. I don't see him creating a lot of separation running routes.​

I could go on...and on...and on....

why stop there?

2003:
ty warren
anquan boldin(bethel johnson)
osi umenyiora(eugene wilson)
asante samuel
robert mathis(dan klecko)
dan koppen
david tyree(kliff klingsbury)
kevin walter(TBC)

2004:
wilfork
karlos dansby(ben watson)
darnell dockett(marquise hill)
shaun phillips(gus scott)
jared allen(dexter reid)
gibril wilson(cedric cobbs)
patrick crayton(pk sam)

2005:
mankins
marion barber(kaczur)
trent cole(james sanders)
chris kemoteau(ryan claridge)
matt cassel
andy stokes(last pick)

2006:
deangelo williams(maroney)
greg jennings(chad jackson)
owen daniels(dave thomas)
jahri evans(garrett mills)
brandon marshall(ghost)
dawan landry(ryan ocallaghan)
charlie johnson(jeremy mincey)
antoine bethea(dan stevenson)
cortland finnegan(lekevin smith)

2007:
meriweather (though lamar woodley is a tough omission)
leron mcclain (kareem brown)
legedu naane (clint oldenburg)
mason crosby(justin rogers)
ahmad bradshaw(mike richardson)
brandon siler (oscar lua)

2008:
chris johnson(mayo)
tom zbikowski(crable)
mario manningham (kevin oconnell)
jamaal charles(terrence wheatley)
wilhite(simply because you just can't take hightower when you've already drafted chris johnson)

2009:
chung
butler
barwin(brace)
vollmer
mike wallace(brandon tate)

screw it....this is giving me a headache

mason crosby(justin rogers)

Yeah, because the Pats really needed a worse kicker than Gostkowski. :rolleyes:

[To be fair, Crosby has scored more points, but on pretty much every other measure—including accuracy and accuracy at long distances—he falls short.]

Last edited:
Yeah, you could, but patchick didn't start a thread like this one. ;)

Yep, I was never claiming to have been right in my predictions -- in fact, I've owned up to the reverse plenty of times. (I was the president of the Jarron Gilbert fan club, after all!) I just don't get the point of making predictions after you've seen the result. You only get to say "I told you so" if you actually told them so. :)

Yeah, because the Pats really needed a worse kicker than Gostkowski. :rolleyes:

[To be fair, Crosby has scored more points, but on pretty much every other measure—including accuracy and accuracy at long distances—he falls short.]

dude....I was just filling in blank, but the whole thing was kind of done tongue-in-cheek....

shoulda coulda woulda is pretty pointless

Yep, I was never claiming to have been right in my predictions -- in fact, I've owned up to the reverse plenty of times. (I was the president of the Jarron Gilbert fan club, after all!) I just don't get the point of making predictions after you've seen the result. You only get to say "I told you so" if you actually told them so. :)

I was in shock; it was like one of my first posts here and I get pounced on about my past comments. Just showing that no one on this list is immune to making goofs; otherwise we would be pro scout and even they get it wrong.

The reason I was not so keen on Butler was because he was toasted by Kenny Britt in college but I did not realize that Britt toasted a lot of guys. Luckily BB knows a bit more about football than me:cool: and made the right pick. I was also pretty keen on Louis Delmas; we will see how he does compared to Chung; BB must have though they were about even and it may well turn out that way.

I would be willing to bet that when Louis Delmas was picked at 33, there were a LOT of new swear words that were invented in the Pats war room. Now whether Delams or Chung has a better career remains to be seen, but Delmas is in the lead right now.

Last edited:
I think that the patriots made one of the dumbest mistakes they've ever made in a draft last year when clay matthews was there for them to take and then traded the pick to Green bay. that's a move that I will always remember because it's going to make the pats look really stupid for that move for years. matthews was a constant playmaker for the packers, always put pressure on the quarterback, excelled in the 3-4 which was one of the main reasons the patriots passed on him (cause they didn't think he could play outside linebacker in the 3-4) and he made the pro bowl his rookie year. It was a huge mistake to pass him up, he would've been perfect for the pats and just what they needed.

I think that the patriots made one of the dumbest mistakes they've ever made in a draft last year when clay matthews was there for them to take and then traded the pick to Green bay. that's a move that I will always remember because it's going to make the pats look really stupid for that move for years. matthews was a constant playmaker for the packers, always put pressure on the quarterback, excelled in the 3-4 which was one of the main reasons the patriots passed on him (cause they didn't think he could play outside linebacker in the 3-4) and he made the pro bowl his rookie year. It was a huge mistake to pass him up, he would've been perfect for the pats and just what they needed.

Matthews does not fit the Patriots' system at all. Bill calls for his linebackers to read and then react, not just sprint to the QB every play, which is basically what Matthews (along with other overrated OLBs like Dumervil) does. Yes, he's been a fine player for the Packers, but he'd be completely out of place in Bill's 3-4.

I think that the patriots made one of the dumbest mistakes they've ever made in a draft last year when clay matthews was there for them to take and then traded the pick to Green bay. that's a move that I will always remember because it's going to make the pats look really stupid for that move for years.

I think we're all still baffled that the Pats didn't take any OLB at all last year. But as for passing on Matthews at #22 "making the Pats look really stupid for years," it's worth keeping in mind that they didn't just flush that pick down the drain. FYI, here's what they got for #22 in place of Matthews:

Darius Butler, Brandon Tate, Julian Edelman, and this year's #44 overall pick.

Even knowing how well Matthews performed, do you call that haul "really stupid"?

Brace didn't do anything for the Pats last season, but it's way to early to write him off.

The Patriots could have done this and picked up a great linebacker and safety while ditching the Bust-in-the-making Ron Brace:

James Laurinaitis (instead of Chung) at 35
Jarius Byrd at (instead of Brace) at 40
Darius Butler at 41​

The rest of the draft looks good (as far as I can tell) with some late round gems. All in all an excellent draft with only one major whiff (Brace). Oddly enough the Brace pick came from Oakland; payback I guess. Panic or leverage against Big Vince is the only reason I can think why they picked this guy.

does a post like this make you feel better. What the **** is wrong with people like you who just like to post doom and ******* gloom. it is so easy to look back in hind sight and say what could have been. You frickin people make me sick. This organization is the best in the NFL and you need to be thankful that we are not following Detroit, or Miami, or another pathetic franchise that hasn't won **** in the past...i dont know, forever. You guy make me sick.

Last edited:
I think we're all still baffled that the Pats didn't take any OLB at all last year. But as for passing on Matthews at #22 "making the Pats look really stupid for years," it's worth keeping in mind that they didn't just flush that pick down the drain. FYI, here's what they got for #22 in place of Matthews:

Even knowing how well Matthews performed, do you call that haul "really stupid"?

I think it's a little early to call the final score on this trade, but it sure looks good for the Patriots now. Butler looks like a #1 corner in the making, Edelman looks like a #3 receiver at worst, and if you get anything at all from Tate and this year's second, it's a decisive win trade for the Pats. Matthews is a good player, don't get me wrong, but it's hard to argue that this was a really dumb trade.

At the time of the trade I thought it was an odd deal -- it seemed like a fifth was too cheap a price to move down three spots -- but then I thought the deals they got from Baltimore and Jacksonville were outstanding. This could still turn out to be a historically good series of moves for the team. Butler has the ability to be an impact corner, and Edelman could still be more than a #3 or #4 receiver. If his career lands somewhere between Kevin Walter (another 7th-round pick) and Wes Welker, which to me seems likely, this turns into a good deal for the Pats even before you figure in Tate and this year's #2.

If Butler regresses and Tate stays injured and this year's pick misses, then yes, this is a bad trade. But I think it's more likely that Butler and Edelman will be productive players through their rookie deals and one of either Tate or this year's pick will be, too. If you get three real contributors out of any draft, you're doing well, much less out of any one pick.

People are jumping the gun about last year's draft. If Brace is a miss, there's no doubt that will suck. Had he been a better player, who knows what might have happened -- maybe the Pats let Wilfork go and sign Julius Peppers. But the rest of the draft looks pretty good to me. On a team that already had three starting-caliber safeties, Chung got in all 16 games and made 37 tackles; he had a better rookie year than Meriweather. Butler comes into this year a starter. Vollmer almost makes last year's draft a success all by itself. Ingram, Edelman and Pryor look likely to stick on the roster through their rookie deals.

What's hanging people up is the quantity of picks we had. If someone had told you in 2008 that the Pats would come out of the 2009 draft with a starting left tackle and a starting corner, two solid rotation players at wideout and safety, a rotational defensive tackle to replace Jarvis Green, a long snapper, and two #2 draft picks, you'd be thrilled. And that's before we even think about the possibility of Tate and/or Tyrone McKenzie panning out.

So objectively speaking, it was an excellent draft. What makes it seem meh is the big miss on Brace and the weird Bussey and Ohrnberger picks, which recall the throwaway choices on guys like Kareem Brown. But we should come back in two or three years to talk about this one, because depending on what happens with Tate, McKenzie, and the two #2s this year, it could end up being not just a good draft but a great one. of course they needed it, after sucking for the 2007-2008 drafts, but it sure looks pretty good to me.

Matthews does not fit the Patriots' system at all. Bill calls for his linebackers to read and then react, not just sprint to the QB every play, which is basically what Matthews (along with other overrated OLBs like Dumervil) does. Yes, he's been a fine player for the Packers, but he'd be completely out of place in Bill's 3-4.

like the LB's the pats currently have?

does a post like this make you feel better. What the **** is wrong with people like you who just like to post doom and ******* gloom. it is so easy to look back in hind sight and say what could have been. You frickin people make me sick. This organization is the best in the NFL and you need to be thankful that we are not following Detroit, or Miami, or another pathetic franchise that hasn't won **** in the past...i dont know, forever. You guy make me sick.

iif it gets your goat so much, why didn't you just ignore it?

complaining about the complainer isn't any better........and living in the past is almost as bad.....the point is THIS YEAR!!! not what happened in 2001,2003,2004........yep, you had 2007, also, but now that year is looking more like an aberration in the gradual decay since the 2004 championship.....

you could argue that the current team is falling as fast as it did under pete carroll........just because positive things happened more than 5 years ago does not make the current situation any different.......as the investment small print says........past results are no indication of future returns

the bottom line is that the 2009 draft year was a GOOD ONE

the problems of the team now are because of the drafts of 2006,2007,2008

a telling sign was the way the pats traded away vrabel, only to lose more than they gained by having to trade for derrick burgess......crappy planning if you ask me

not stupid.......even though Matthews would havemade some exciting plays last year, I doubt if the result would have been much different......rookies are rookies, and while they show the highlight reels of the big plays, they fail to show the dire moments when a guy like kurt warner plays instead of matt leinart and brian st. pierre......matthews was out of place very frequently last year and cost his team a bundle

I think it's a little early to call the final score on this trade, but it sure looks good for the Patriots now. Butler looks like a #1 corner in the making, Edelman looks like a #3 receiver at worst, and if you get anything at all from Tate and this year's second, it's a decisive win trade for the Pats. Matthews is a good player, don't get me wrong, but it's hard to argue that this was a really dumb trade.

At the time of the trade I thought it was an odd deal -- it seemed like a fifth was too cheap a price to move down three spots -- but then I thought the deals they got from Baltimore and Jacksonville were outstanding. This could still turn out to be a historically good series of moves for the team. Butler has the ability to be an impact corner, and Edelman could still be more than a #3 or #4 receiver. If his career lands somewhere between Kevin Walter (another 7th-round pick) and Wes Welker, which to me seems likely, this turns into a good deal for the Pats even before you figure in Tate and this year's #2.

If Butler regresses and Tate stays injured and this year's pick misses, then yes, this is a bad trade. But I think it's more likely that Butler and Edelman will be productive players through their rookie deals and one of either Tate or this year's pick will be, too. If you get three real contributors out of any draft, you're doing well, much less out of any one pick.

People are jumping the gun about last year's draft. If Brace is a miss, there's no doubt that will suck. Had he been a better player, who knows what might have happened -- maybe the Pats let Wilfork go and sign Julius Peppers. But the rest of the draft looks pretty good to me. On a team that already had three starting-caliber safeties, Chung got in all 16 games and made 37 tackles; he had a better rookie year than Meriweather. Butler comes into this year a starter. Vollmer almost makes last year's draft a success all by itself. Ingram, Edelman and Pryor look likely to stick on the roster through their rookie deals.

What's hanging people up is the quantity of picks we had. If someone had told you in 2008 that the Pats would come out of the 2009 draft with a starting left tackle and a starting corner, two solid rotation players at wideout and safety, a rotational defensive tackle to replace Jarvis Green, a long snapper, and two #2 draft picks, you'd be thrilled. And that's before we even think about the possibility of Tate and/or Tyrone McKenzie panning out.

So objectively speaking, it was an excellent draft. What makes it seem meh is the big miss on Brace and the weird Bussey and Ohrnberger picks, which recall the throwaway choices on guys like Kareem Brown. But we should come back in two or three years to talk about this one, because depending on what happens with Tate, McKenzie, and the two #2s this year, it could end up being not just a good draft but a great one. of course they needed it, after sucking for the 2007-2008 drafts, but it sure looks pretty good to me.
Nice breakdown. I agree with all this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft