PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What starters lost their job in BB era?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would he have lost that Job if Rodney had not been there to compete with him?

I don't think that is what the original poster is going for.

Did Neal replace Max Lane?

Lane last played RT in 2000, but only started 5 games. Greg Robinson-Randall replaced Lane that year, and continued through 2002 (with Kenyatta Jones, Adrian Klemm, and Grant Williams chipping in). Neal was on the practice squad in 2001. He was injured against the Packers in 2002 and didn't become a full-time starter until 2004, after Mike Compton left. And that was at right guard (Andruzzi moved to left guard).

So, no. Max Lane was a RT who last played in 2000. Neal is a RG who first started in 2004. ;)

After Robinson-Randall at RT came Ashworth in 2003, then Gorin in 2004-05 (Kaczur was a LT b/c of Light's injury), then Kaczur in 2006; Ashworth left in free agency that year and Gorin was traded in the preseason to the Cardinals. O'Callaghan and Britt replaced them.

As far as inside goes, in 1999 it was Rucci, Lane, and Woody. Rucci left after that year, Lane played RT as stated, and Andruzzi was brought in. The other guard spot was a weak point - guys like Sale Isaia and Jason Andersen played there. Compton was brought in for 2001. Klemm and Kenyatta played on and off around that time across the line; Kenyatta most of his time in 2002, when Grey Ruegamer was the main G/C backup. But the Compton-Woody-Andruzzi combo continued through until 2003, when Compton got hurt early against the Eagles and Koppen started at C, moving Woody to LG. In 2004, Compton and Woody left, so Andruzzi moved to LG and Neal began his entrenchment at RG. Andruzzi left after 2004 and was replaced by Mankins. Elsewhere, Ruegamer was replaced by Hochstein/Yates in 2003-04.

Last edited:
In 03 : didn't the first game push the starting safety opposite Harrion OUT and Eugene Wilson went IN ?

From looking at past roster it could be Chris Atkins he replaced.
I think Cherry was still second string.

From looking at past roster it could be Chris Atkins he replaced.
I think Cherry was still second string.

He's referring to Milloy. Akins was a special teamer in 2003 only.

Mike Vrabel in a sense. Clearly, BB feels Woods is a better OLB at this point, or at least good enough to justify parting ways w Vrabel and saving a few mill in the process.

I respectfully disagree.

There were no questions that if Belichick hadn't traded Vrabel, he would be the starting outside linebacker in 2009. They don't even play the same side/position.

Then it must have been Antwan Harris who played next to Harrision in the
first game of 2003. Wilson replaced him the next game as starter.
Milloy didn't play one game for the PATs in 2003.

Then it must have been Antwan Harris who played next to Harrision in the
first game of 2003. Wilson replaced him the next game as starter.
Milloy didn't play one game for the PATs in 2003.

I think it was Ty Poole ....Eugene played too getting his first pick....I dont think they had one of the STers starting.

Bert Emanuel in '01 though I could be wrong
Duane Starks in '05, yes IR but I don't think he was truly that injured

Who started the Buffalo game opposite Harrison after Milloy left. He lasted one game and was replaced by Wilson.

A guy that shouldn't have been starting last season Deltha O'Neal.

He was cut because of the cap but Rodney was clearly going to be the starting Strong Safety and for coverage reasons the emerging Wilson was going to be used as well so Milloy lost his starting spot to Rodney and his roster spot to the cap

Milloy was gone but...Antwan Harris lost his starting job to Eugene.

Darn. BB prefers vets to the unknown in general. If he sees someone on the way down and someone better, he usually starts shifting responsibility based on practice (see Brady).

He's not likely to see something surprising, he lets guys go before that happens.

Last edited:
The mantra "better a year too early than a year too late" comes to mind.

No. No I'm not... I know Milloy was a cap casualty before the season started. In that first game, Milloy and the Bills trounced NE 31-0... the next game, Eugene became the starter next to Harrison. I forget the original starter for that Bills game.

EDIT : should've kept reading... someone figured out it was Harris.

Someone else mentionned BB's penchant for vets, but in the 03 and 04 SB years, the backfield had tonnes of youngsters (mostly necause of falling bodies). I remember Samuel & Wilson being very significant very early.

Last edited:
Actually... that reminds me... Fernando Bryant. Started the whole preseason then lost his job to... well... the field.

People can say preseason games are useless... but man, when Fernando got steamrolled into the endzone - I can't say I was much more impressed than BB must've been.

Lane last played RT in 2000, but only started 5 games. Greg Robinson-Randall replaced Lane that year, and continued through 2002 (with Kenyatta Jones, Adrian Klemm, and Grant Williams chipping in). Neal was on the practice squad in 2001. He was injured against the Packers in 2002 and didn't become a full-time starter until 2004, after Mike Compton left. And that was at right guard (Andruzzi moved to left guard).

So, no. Max Lane was a RT who last played in 2000. Neal is a RG who first started in 2004. ;)

After Robinson-Randall at RT came Ashworth in 2003, then Gorin in 2004-05 (Kaczur was a LT b/c of Light's injury), then Kaczur in 2006; Ashworth left in free agency that year and Gorin was traded in the preseason to the Cardinals. O'Callaghan and Britt replaced them.

As far as inside goes, in 1999 it was Rucci, Lane, and Woody. Rucci left after that year, Lane played RT as stated, and Andruzzi was brought in. The other guard spot was a weak point - guys like Sale Isaia and Jason Andersen played there. Compton was brought in for 2001. Klemm and Kenyatta played on and off around that time across the line; Kenyatta most of his time in 2002, when Grey Ruegamer was the main G/C backup. But the Compton-Woody-Andruzzi combo continued through until 2003, when Compton got hurt early against the Eagles and Koppen started at C, moving Woody to LG. In 2004, Compton and Woody left, so Andruzzi moved to LG and Neal began his entrenchment at RG. Andruzzi left after 2004 and was replaced by Mankins. Elsewhere, Ruegamer was replaced by Hochstein/Yates in 2003-04.

WOW now that's a history lesson. Pats1 ... you got a great memory! :rocker:

Who started the Buffalo game opposite Harrison after Milloy left. He lasted one game and was replaced by Wilson.

As previously noted, Harris.

BB is rarely sure enough to cut a guy he was willing to play last year in favor of a newcomer, unless the cap drives it.

There were no questions that if Belichick hadn't traded Vrabel, he would be the starting outside linebacker in 2009. They don't even play the same side/position.

Yes they do- both SOLBs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back